The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=489236
Posted By : Adam W. - 12/1/2016 10:46 AM
These forums were originally created to provide a way for our passionate Finale users to share ideas, provide valuable input, and find answers from our community. A number of other great public forums for discussion about our products and best practices have become available since this platform first began. These include Facebook, SHSU, Twitter, Yahoo and various other forums and blogs. Also, as many of you know, the release of our new Help Center over the summer provides another avenue for discussion and input.

In an effort to provide a centralized, accessible, and most of all, helpful community for all of our customers, we are focusing our resources on the new forums in our Help Center Community. As of January 1st, 2017, we will only monitor and support these new forums. At that time these existing forums will be locked.

We want this large body of valuable information to remain available, so while these forums will be locked at the end of the year, they will be archived so that they can still be accessed by those looking for any of the helpful historical information located here.

We want to thank you for the value you’ve already provided to MakeMusic and its customers in these forums, and we look forward to seeing you in our new Help Center Community!

Best,

Adam Wig
Director, Customer Success

Michael Johnson
Vice President, Professional Notation

Fred Flowerday,
Senior Vice President, Product Strategy

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/1/2016 11:17 AM
My comments posted on the Windows side.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Posted By : David Ward - 12/1/2016 12:49 PM
Mike Rosen said...
My comments posted on the Windows side.
Mike, I've just registered for your www.finaleforum.com/ as you suggested on the Windows side. I haven't found the new Make Music forum congenial, although I did try it a few times when first announced.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Posted By : Writer of Music - 12/1/2016 1:08 PM
Really, MakeMusic? Your way of 'connecting' with the customer is to create an even wider gap? How was this community right here not centralised, accessible, and most of all, helpful?

Adam W said...
In an effort to provide a centralized, accessible, and most of all, helpful community for all of our customers

Meanwhile quite curious to learn how MakeMusic is going to provide a community for their customers.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 12/1/2016 7:04:48 PM (GMT-6)

Posted By : Shnootre - 12/2/2016 9:53 AM
Just another vote against this choice. I've been on this forum 16 years, and without further explanation, I don't see a good reason to close it. There is a community here, and it consists of some of Finale's longest-time users and most faithful subscribers. Feels like a pretty clear slap to the deepest and oldest user base.

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Posted By : Christopher Smith - 12/2/2016 10:23 AM
This is a terrible idea. Facebook is even harder to search than this present forum, and Yahoo is even more out of date than this forum software.

What possible technical problem can be solved in 140 characters? Twitter is the shallowest of the shallow.

I can't even find out what SHSU is using Google, so that's out, too. Unless it's Sam Houston State University, which I don't know what connection Finale has there.

This forum is more than a simple tech support site. It's a community, with its own subculture and impromptu leaders. It has its town cranks, village idiots, Dead Poets Society, hookers with hearts of gold, and banner-waving communists too, which adds to its charm. I understand why comments were disabled on the Finale Blog, but this is not the same. Degrading this site by dispersing the very best and most loyal Finale users will only harm Finale.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Posted By : michelp - 12/2/2016 10:39 AM
I'm 100 % against the idea of closing this forum. The new Help Center is a huge step backwards (unorganized, no logical structure, no user profiles, etc...), and the social networks don't fit the bill at all.
If you want to improve things, just modernize this one with a better forum software (phpBB for instance).

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Posted By : Laine - 12/2/2016 11:54 AM
There's no substitute for a Macintosh-specific forum for Mac Finale users if you really want to connect to customers. The range of understanding is simply too great if Mac use can't be presumed for using the sort of compendium that is typical of these kinds of communities. Do any of the alternatives feature an area for Mac users only?

Posted By : John Iafrate - 12/2/2016 12:40 PM
Dear Make Music,
Why take away a tool that everyone uses? New customers come here to learn from the long time users and can ask them directly about solvents to problems. They don't seek out other avenues such Facebook and Twitter. I myself am not a Facebook or twitter person. Not because I'm old but because those social interfaces don't interest me as much as a company community forum like this one to solve problems or exchange ideas. I do go on Facebook but not for the involvement of work. I'm a very active professional musician, and no one tries to hire you through Facebook or Twitter unless you're playing in a bar band! Professionals don't use these outlets. If they thought they were that great they would. Don't forget that we work in creativity and we constantly look for the "New that works". Old habits die all the time and new ones pop up. I really think you need to rethink this one.

John
Finale 2012c Finale 25.1
Mac Pro 3.2 - 16GB(Ram) OSX 10.8.5, 10.9, 10.11.6

Posted By : Knut - 12/2/2016 12:57 PM
This is indeed a bad idea.

One would think that a new forum would at least be as good as this ancient one, but MakeMusic has managed to avoid that, it seems.

Judging from the lack of activity, my guess is that MM is hoping to move the entire user base from here to there. That doesn't seem very likely, however, and personally, I'm betting more on a user driven, unofficial forum as the only viable future option.

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz. Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Apogee Duet 2, Samsung SyncMaster 245b
OSX 10.9.5, Finale 2011c and 2014b (not using it yet) w/GPO & JABB, Patterson Plug-Ins, TG-Tools and QuickKeys 4; Sibelius 6, Logic Pro X, Adobe CS3, FontLab Studio 4, FontExplorer X Pro 3

Posted By : Motet - 12/2/2016 2:02 PM
The trouble with an unofficial forum is that those who need it the most are unlikely to find it.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Posted By : BvdPress - 12/2/2016 2:05 PM
Adam W. said...
These forums were originally created to provide a way for our passionate Finale users to share ideas, provide valuable input, and find answers from our community.

So why not just leave it as is?

To use a musical term, the tone deafness of this company never ceases to amaze me.

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express, BrassWorks4, Timber Ridge Music,
Kiwi Press, Serendipity Press and Cimarron Music Press
bvdpress@gmail.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

Posted By : Juraj Bartos - 12/2/2016 4:20 PM
I really do not understand those who made this decision.
This forum helped me in last 17 years in many cases more than MakeMusic Support.
I will not upgrade to any further version of Finale if this forum would be stopped, I am pretty sure.

Juraj Bartos, www.serenaders.sk

Finale 2001-2012c, Finale 2014.5, Finale 25
Tobias Giesen TGTools, Patterson Plugins, Jari Williamsson Plugins
Pro Tools 11.3.1, Waves Platinum, Sibelius 7,

MacBook Pro 15" 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10.5 (retina with SSD HD)
Korg Micro Key 61/49/25, M-Audio Keystation Mini 32

Finale 2014d, StaffPad
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Win 10

Posted By : Adam W. - 12/2/2016 4:32 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to jump back in and thank you for the feedback and to clarify the purpose of migrating to the new community platform.

Centralizing our existing knowledge base and community makes the breadth of answers in both mediums available in one location for all of our customers. The extensive knowledge and experience that the members of this forum have are critical in driving the content here and it's our hope that you'll find meaningful relationships and participation in the new community as well. The fact is that splitting up conversations amongst two different platforms ultimately makes it more difficult to find relevant information for all of our customers - We want to solve that problem.

The new community isn't necessarily intended to match this existing forum with complete parity. With that said, we want the new platform to have robust functionality and to be an easily-used resource for you. There's been some consistent feedback that the design of the new platform is a bit clunky and difficult to navigate and use. To begin, can you help me better understand some specific design elements you'd change to improve the overall flow (Wider margins, a Mac-specific section etc.)?

I welcome a productive, ongoing conversation from all of you to help us make the new community the best it can be. We'll do our best to make it a functional service, keeping in mind that there will be certain technical limitations.

Thank you!

Posted By : Ralph L. Bowers Jr. - 12/2/2016 4:50 PM
Really Adam, really? You don't see the glaring issues with your new forum?

It has been impressed upon you the need fixes for this to become an acceptable means of help for the user base (and for Make Music's standing in the community). This is being ignored and quite frankly akin to a slap in the face to the long time very knowledgeable users that have helped make Make Music's status what it is today.
Just look at the new forum, read through the replys and number thereof and tell us honestly that this is acceptable?
If you believe so.....well there it is.....and this member will seek out to help and be helped on other boards.

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, Version 25.1; TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current for each Finale Instalation)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.5.0, Write Score Sound Sets, TMT Publisher Bundle Plugins, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.6
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014a
Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3, Notion 4, Notion 5 (Notion 5 not really any better than 4, [Notion 6 (bought but not installed)]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, GPO5, World Instruments
SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro, PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 & 8.04 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available, 8 has some issues that need fixing)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (5) // Windows XP Pro (32bit), 2@ Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)

Posted By : Zuill - 12/2/2016 4:55 PM
Unbelievable. That's all I can say.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Posted By : michelp - 12/2/2016 5:51 PM
Adam W. said...
There's been some consistent feedback that the design of the new platform is a bit clunky and difficult to navigate and use. To begin, can you help me better understand some specific design elements you'd change to improve the overall flow (Wider margins, a Mac-specific section etc.)?

Adam,

As a point of departure, just list the things you can do here (in this "antique" forum) and that you cannot do in the new forum. I'm not referring to "wider margins" !
The new forum will only attract us if it offers as much or better functionality.
A few examples :
• a user profile is a must (Version of Finale, OS)
• a signature with those data, immediately visible
• sub sections (Mac, PC, and why not : basic questions, graphical/visual, audio, plug-ins)
• more attachement formats (Finale files, mp3, mp4...)
• an answered thread should come back to the TOP of the list, not disappear down the list
• read/unread postings
• a way to easily spot our own contributions
• possibility to delete a post completely, not only erasing its content
• search on a poster's name (his posts)
• number of members
• who is on-line ?
• polls
• + see other members remarks

I'm still trying to be positive, but on your side, please open your eyes. If the idea to centralize things means losing the contributions made by your professional users, MakeMusic will be the final loser.
Ask yourself the question why the new forum is so quiet...

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Post Edited (michelp) : 12/5/2016 5:50:10 AM (GMT-6)

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/2/2016 7:02 PM
More corporate bumpf, from someone who understands nothing.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Posted By : BvdPress - 12/2/2016 8:08 PM
Adam W. said...

Centralizing our existing knowledge base and community makes the breadth of answers in both mediums available in one location for all of our customers. The extensive knowledge and experience that the members of this forum have are critical in driving the content here and it's our hope that you'll find meaningful relationships and participation in the new community as well.

I would weigh the feedback from the base and see if it is worth moving.

I predict this move simply drives the base away and into various forums thus diluting what we have here now.

FWIW, I didn't even know there was a new Help Center. I checked it out, but quickly got discouraged. Change is not always a good thing. It is simply not user friendly at all. Or maybe I am just so used to this forum that it would be an adjustment. I am not really interested in learning something new when this forum is so easy to use as well as super helpful.

As I pointed out on Facebook this week in one of the Finale forums there, MakeMusic tends to ignore their user base like the plague. Here we are again...

Bryan Doughty
bvdpress@gmail.com

Posted By : John Iafrate - 12/3/2016 12:54 AM
Adam,
I just got home from a gig and read the posts that came after the one I posted, and I'm wondering what is it going to take for you and whom ever else to realize that we ARE telling you what we want and need. It is THIS forum Adam. This is where the newbies are going to come to be informed, instructed and nurtured by the more experienced pros just like I was 15 years ago.
I have at least 40 years of experience as a very successful guitarist with a wonderful resume', but the names of the people I have work with and for would not be on my resume' unless I gave them what THEY wanted. I can't explain "customer satisfaction" any clearer than that.

John
Finale 2012c Finale 25.1

Posted By : OCTO. - 12/3/2016 1:33 AM
Adam, what is centralised?
Than close all other platforms and leave us here in peace.
At least upgrade this forum to a more robust one.

The complete majority (100%) of experienced Finale users and posters on this forum say NO to your terrible idea. You still think it is OK?

Finale 2014.5 • OS X: Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM

Posted By : Juraj Bartos - 12/3/2016 6:39 AM
This decision is against all those loyal users and contributors. This forum is one of main reasons why I always say that Finale is the best notation software.

MacBook Pro 15" 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10.5 (retina with SSD HD)

Finale 2014d, StaffPad

Posted By : Writer of Music - 12/3/2016 6:54 AM
And at the end of the day MakeMusic will go ahead with the move, we will all migrate to the new forum and by the end the week all of us will have forgotten what the fuzz was about. And when push comes to shove we all want/need a place to gather and share knowledge on the software that we (have to) use, so we will go find it in the bowels of a dead cow if necessary. Corporations know that and couldn't care less what customers wish or want. Customers are but dogxxxx on the shareholder's shoe after all.

Now let's all shut up and pay our annual upgrade fees for unsolved bugs and unwanted 'new features'.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Posted By : Juraj Bartos - 12/3/2016 7:51 AM
Writer of Music said...
And when push comes to shove we all want/need a place to gather and share knowledge on the software that we (have to) use, so we will go find it in the bowels of a dead cow if necessary.

Yes. Might be. I google the problem and try to find the solution, if this is what MM wants (beside their profit).

Writer of Music said...
Now let's all shut up and pay our annual upgrade fees for unsolved bugs and unwanted 'new features'.

No. If I find out that there is no consistent place where I can see Zuill, Mike Rosen and all those other contributors who helped a lot to MM and all the forum members, I will keep my hardware and software untouched without any upgrade at all.

Finale 2014d, StaffPad

Post Edited (Juraj Bartos) : 12/3/2016 8:22:56 AM (GMT-6)

Posted By : Philip. - 12/3/2016 2:35 PM
This is a terrific forum because of the accumulated knowledge and the community. The level of detail one can provide is so worthwhile compared to most other help outlets. Finale's quirks, problems, features and tricks go back many years, and so does this forum. I've learned so much from it over the years in a way I can't imagine doing so elsewhere, and hopefully I've contributed a thing or two along the way.

One problem (among others) with locking the forum is that if someone searches for help and finds a relevant thread here, that person won't be able to comment here, and people who have subscribed to the thread who might want to learn more or have relevant info won't be notified, and the discussion will end. That's a real loss of community knowledge.

It's true, the UI of this forum is outdated, and Facebook, Twitter, newer forums etc. are more useful for some people. MakeMusic doesn't have unlimited time to monitor them all, that's understood.

But why not at least allow this forum to live on as a community forum, and state that it is no longer being officially monitored?

Finale 2011c, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1
Sibelius 7.5.1, 8.4.2
Logic Pro X
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
OS X 10.12.1
32 GB RAM
www.nycmusicservices.com/

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/3/2016 3:14 PM
I've never believed that it was "officially" monitored.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Posted By : BvdPress - 12/3/2016 4:18 PM
But gosh it would be nice if MM did monitor and used the feedback. One can dream...

Bryan Doughty
bvdpress@gmail.com

Posted By : Motet - 12/3/2016 4:41 PM
As <jange> pointed out, it's possible to port this forum to new software and keep everything intact. There are, apparently, services that will do this for you.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Posted By : Messy Piano - 12/4/2016 10:37 AM
Please don't shut this forum down! You have something very special here that few companies can say they have, and I don't think your marketing department appreciates it. I've been reading it for years and if it were not for the help from this forum, I probably would not be a Finale user. Please reconsider!

Posted By : Ed Cupman - 12/4/2016 3:47 PM
I am angry and frustrated that this forum would even be considered for termination. What in the world is makemusic thinking? I find this forum to be unbelievably valuable and I'm shocked that it is going to disappear. I get so much from this community of Finale friends that there must be a good alternative to such a drastic end.

Finale 25.1
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
OS Sierra 10.12.1

Posted By : Ronwass - 12/4/2016 9:40 PM
Bad idea.

Ron Wasserman
F2014d v5545 user since F2000
Desktop: Macmini i5 (Late 2012) 16g ram OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 Casio Keyboard midi out to edirol to usb
Laptop:Macbook Air 2015 4 gigs ram.
TG Tools full version on desktop. Keep forgetting to install it on the laptop

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

Posted By : SF - 12/4/2016 11:09 PM
I understand why they are moving/consolidating the forums. I would suggest moving over but supplementing it with the oldest and most detailed forum that forced MM to create a forum in the first place. The forum that provided Tobias input to create TGTools. /lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale It's still "old school" based on emails but the discussions can be quite detailed. Mostly pro people but a variety of skills and everyone is extremely helpful. Enjoy.

SF

MPB 17" 3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, 10.6.8 and 10.11.6
MacPro (mid 2010) 2.8 Ghz Qual-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB, 10.8.5, 10.11.6, 10.12 Three 27" Apple Displays
Finale 2.6.3-->25, Sib. 3.0-->7.5, Logic X, QuicKeys 4.0.7, DoubleCommand DoubleCommand, Mouse Locator Mouse Locator

Posted By : bvstudios - 12/4/2016 11:28 PM
If I may be so bold, but perhaps we could all consider sending our notes direct to the source? We are all pretty much in agreement here, but it may have more effect if we sent our sentinments directly to Adam and Co via PM.

Just my Sunday thoughts.

K M Frye

Finale 2014.5, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

Posted By : Mike Halloran - 12/5/2016 1:38 PM
michelp said...
Adam W. said...
There's been some consistent feedback that the design of the new platform is a bit clunky and difficult to navigate and use. To begin, can you help me better understand some specific design elements you'd change to improve the overall flow (Wider margins, a Mac-specific section etc.)?

Adam,

As a point of departure, just list the things you can do here (in this "antique" forum) and that you cannot do in the new forum. I'm not referring to "wider margins" !
The new forum will only attract us if it offers as much or better functionality.
A few examples :
• a user profile is a must (Version of Finale, OS)
• a signature with those data, immediately visible
• sub sections (Mac, PC, and why not : basic questions, graphical/visual, audio, plug-ins)
• more attachement formats (Finale files, mp3, mp4...)
• an answered thread should come back to the TOP of the list, not disappear down the list
• read/unread postings
• a way to easily spot our own contributions
• possibility to delete a post completely, not only erasing its content
• search on a poster's name (his posts)
• number of members
• who is on-line ?
• polls
• + see other members remarks

I'm still trying to be positive, but on your side, please open your eyes. If the idea to centralize things means losing the contributions made by your professional users, MakeMusic will be the final loser.
Ask yourself the question why the new forum is so quiet...

In short: The new forum is terrible for all of the reasons mentioned above. I am someone who is active on it.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

Posted By : Motet - 12/5/2016 1:43 PM
That's a good list, though I don't think polls are very useful.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Posted By : michelp - 12/5/2016 5:04 PM
The aim of that (incomplete) list was to point out some of the functionalities which are available in this forum and are lost in the new one. There are many...

Michel

Posted By : Zuill - 12/5/2016 5:25 PM
Customizable look is also available here. I use the one that is easier on my eyes. It is called finalemusic. It looks better then the makemusic style.

Zuill

Posted By : Adam W. - 12/6/2016 4:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

Some of the functionality requests mentioned previously do exist in the new platform, so I'll take a moment to outline those features:

- Ability to add/edit a user profile: While the capability is not as robust, there is a 'Description' field that can be edited to include any personal information you'd like. This can be accomplished by navigating to 'My Profile': http://www.screencast.com/t/8QNZ6rWiC and then selecting 'Edit Profile'. You'll see your description information listed beneath your name: http://screencast.com/t/dhQifiyf0a

- Easily spot your own contributions: You'll find a list of your contributions (public community posts) and any previous support tickets listed in the 'My Profile' section.

- Searching on a poster's name: While you can't do a direct search for a posters name, we'll be enabling the ability to view another user's profile. This will include the ability to see their previous public posts and even subscribe to be notified wen they've made a new post.

- Getting a newly updated thread back to the top of the list in order to maintain relevancy: While the new platform doesn't explicitly do this, we will be enabling the ability to follow a specific thread so that you can be notified when an update is made.

I recognize that there are many other specific pieces of functionality not listed above that are important to this group. While the new community doesn't currently offer each feature requested so far, it's my goal to continually improve the interface to make it a worthwhile tool for you. Realistically, a portion of that progress is dependent upon feature development by ZenDesk itself and we'll continue to push them to widen the breadth of their options as well.

Posted By : Zuill - 12/6/2016 4:28 PM
So, why don't you wait to close this forum until you can duplicate all the necessary features? If it is anything like waiting for bug fixes in Finale, I'm fearful we'll be waiting for quite some time.

Bottom line: is your goal to drive us long time users and gurus away? If so, you have succeeded.

Zuill

Posted By : Motet - 12/6/2016 4:29 PM
Good point--what's the hurry, given that the alternative currently sucks?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Posted By : David Ward - 12/6/2016 5:26 PM
Zuill said...
… … Bottom line: is your goal to drive us long time users and gurus away? If so, you have succeeded.
In my case along with several other users to www.finaleforum.com/ (and also OCTO's notat.io/ for more specialist notation/engraving questions and discussions).

This has not been handled well. No serious attempt at conciliation, no sufficiently convincing explanation as to why this forum must close, and no provision by MM of an adequately viable alternative: instead just a brick wall of refusing to listen. Why?

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Posted By : NickG - 12/6/2016 6:55 PM
David Ward said...
Zuill said...
… … Bottom line: is your goal to drive us long time users and gurus away? If so, you have succeeded.
In my case along with several other users to www.finaleforum.com/ (and also OCTO's notat.io/ for more specialist notation/engraving questions and discussions).

This has not been handled well. No serious attempt at conciliation, no sufficiently convincing explanation as to why this forum must close, and no provision by MM of an adequately viable alternative: instead just a brick wall of refusing to listen. Why?

Because they can. How many will stop using Finale?

NickG

MacBook Pro Retina Display, 16 gig ram, 1TB SSD.
MacOS Sierra
Finale 2008, 2010, 2011b, 2012a, 2012c, 2014d, 25.1
Sibelius 1, 2, 3, 7.5
Logic Pro X
Cubase 7.5
GPO 4
Steinber UR44
Korg M1
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/6/2016 8:01 PM
Short term, I doubt it will matter. People aren't going to switch programs because of this.

Long term, it will hurt them. It's pretty obvious that the majority of this village aren't going to migrate to the new forum. New users will feel the lack the most, because the "customer success" team hasn't got nearly the experience and background that the rest of us bring to the table.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Posted By : Writer of Music - 12/7/2016 10:40 AM
Mike Rosen said...
Short term, I doubt it will matter. People aren't going to switch programs because of this.

I'm not so sure about that. I for one would have switched to another notation program long ago if it weren't for being able to rely on the experienced, knowledgeable and speedy answers, most of the time not restricted to a one dimensional answer, but several solutions, from different angels with pros and cons discussed.
This is not a merit of MakeMusic, who after all only incited me to consider switching to another program in the first place by neglecting to fix numerous bugs. It's solely the merit of the community and in particular of a number of people who spent a huge amount of time on this board to help others.
When this community disintegrates and one has to scan the web for any help at all, 25 will be the last disappointing version of Finale I have bought.

Mike Rosen said...
Long term, it will hurt them. It's pretty obvious that the majority of this village aren't going to migrate to the new forum. New users will feel the lack the most, because the "customer success" team hasn't got nearly the experience and background that the rest of us bring to the table.

I think that new customers will feel the loss the least, because they wil not know any better. They haven't grown accustomed to, nay: dependant on this community.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Posted By : rumsong - 12/7/2016 11:43 AM
Greetings,

This forum has been an invaluable source of knowledge and help in my work with Finale. There will be a credit of thanks to forum members (general only for the sake of privacy) when the project I am working on is done.

I am opposed to the closing of this forum. I believe MM is making a serious mistake.

It is also interesting that they choose to spend time on THIS, when they could do so much to improve their product and remove bugs. I respectfully suggest that this is an issue of 'style over substance'. Thus, I think the reason might be found in how 'old fashioned' this forum is. As J. Barzun said somewhere "Who would wear their grandmother's hat?"

Sadly, if the hat works, then to get rid of it when there is still rain is not wise. Since Finale is a very difficult programme to learn, since there are numerous bugs, since there are things that need to be done that seem to require undocumented work-arounds and since MM does not have the resources to answer these questions promptly, access to this forum is only way to effectively (that is, at a high level) use the programme. It depends on the kindness of others -- something that is in great abundance here. As well, absolute newbies are often welcomed and assisted as they start the vertical ascent learning curve of Finale.

Further, MM does not realize the value of this forum. Instead of pictures of quaint people 'doing' stuff with Finale in their promotions and ads, the company could draw attention to the remarkable number of master musicians, engravers, and editors who inhabit this zone. These are the people who prove the value of the product in the profession.

Second, Finale would also do well to closely monitor these posts and make EVERY effort to correct problems, simplify programme processes and take suggestions for new features and enhancements. I do not believe they do this as a high priority.

MM is alienating its most devoted user base. Sad.

All best wishes,

g

Posted By : John Ruggero - 12/7/2016 3:22 PM
Mike Rosen said...

MM's decision concerning this forum is a symptom of an illness, and it will be the illness itself that may cause many to switch.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Posted By : John Iafrate - 12/8/2016 2:32 AM
I think MM doesn't get the reality of this forum

Adam,
You need to listen and stop thinking for us. We don't need someone to tell us what we need, we already know but no one is listening.
We use this forum for our work which translates into how we make our living and you don't. You do not use this forum the same way that we do and yet you're trying to tell us how to work instead of giving us what we need.

John
Finale 2012c Finale 25.1

Posted By : Juraj Bartos - 12/8/2016 4:32 AM
Is there any chance to move all the content of this forum to some safe place and run it independently of those "brains" from MM?
Just asking.

I found many times solution here when MM Support could not find it and I am really frustrated to loose this great opportunity to find an answer, often in the middle of the night and within a minute.

Finale 2014d, StaffPad

Posted By : John Ruggero - 12/8/2016 6:57 AM
Mike Rosen has invited us to join him and Peter Thomsen at Finaleforum.com.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/8/2016 10:15 AM
As well as Ron's forum at www.composeforums.com and OCTO.'s at www.notat.io/

There are options. Vote with your feet.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Posted By : Zuill - 12/11/2016 4:38 PM
I thought I had joined the Finaleforum moderated by Mike and Peter, but I couldn't see that I had. So I did. It is hard on my eyes as well (like the MakeMusic new forum) as it doesn't have clearly defined borders around things, so the ads sort of run into the posts. But there are many other features that work well. I wanted to change my user name, but couldn't find a way or a faq about it. Here, my login name is one thing, and my user name another, but not on the Finaleforum. Oh well. It looks like I might migrate to that one. I find the new MakeMusic forum somewhat juvenile. Quite limited. Probably designed for those who grew up using all the "eye candy" needed to keep ones attention when ones attention span is short.

Zuill

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Posted By : John Iafrate - 12/12/2016 10:34 AM
I agree with Zuill. It's decorative instead of functional. That's what's frustrating on Apple's website as well.

John
Finale 2012c Finale 25.1

Posted By : Zuill - 12/14/2016 2:29 PM
I wonder, when this forum is locked, if we can still send PMs.

Zuill

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/14/2016 6:34 PM
I don't know. I couldn't find a way.

Maybe we need to trade e-mails before it's too late.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Posted By : Ebony Ivory - 12/21/2016 7:42 AM
My main comments are also on the Windows side, but let me just repeat one very important point:

Right now, you have ALL your users in ONE place: do you REALLY think it's a good idea to disperse them amongst, QUOTE: "These include Facebook, SHSU, Twitter, Yahoo and various other forums and blogs"?

Scatter your userbase to the world? Sorry, old boy, but this is CRAZY.

Brian

Posted By : Shnootre - 12/21/2016 9:27 AM
This is such a sad mistake. I'm going to the Finale Forum - lotsa familiar names, though a different interface.

One thing I love about the long history of this forum - and my long participation in it - is the ability to dig up very old posts of mine and contribute solutions. I've been planning a long update to a midi thread I started in the late spring - to share 6 months of intensive investigation and learning on the mysteries of Human Playback and the midi tool (which neither the Finale user manual nor Finale tech support is very good at addressing). The idea that this will just be a closed archive is a shame.

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Posted By : Gary the T - 12/23/2016 11:57 AM
I am not on Facebook, and will absolutely never be there, or on any other type of social media.

Add me to the long list of users who think that this is about as bad an idea ever to come from MakeMusic.

Mobile: 17" MBP (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 10.10.5), True Systems Precision 8, MH LIO-8
Home: Mac Pro (2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere", 32 GB RAM; 10.10.5; boot drive 960 GB Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCIe card), OMNI, MH ULN-2, MOTU 8pre
PT HDN 12.6; REAPER 5+ (32 & 64-bit); PreSonus Studio One 3 Pro, Central Station Plus, and FaderPort
WAY too many plugins and VIs; Sound Forge Pro; WaveLab 8.5
Finale 2014d

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/23/2016 2:34 PM
Dan and Gary,
Come join us at finaleforum.com.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Posted By : Zuill - 1/1/2017 10:52 AM
Let's get at least one post in this thread on this old forum in the new year.

Happy New Year!

Zuill