The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=23&m=406081
Posted By : Ronuts - 8/24/2013 9:42 PM
Today I was notified of a new version of SmartMusic, so I downloaded and performed the upgrade. After the installation I was prompted to migrate my old settings and information to the new version, which I answered 'yes' to. When the new version of SmartFMusic started though, I could not find my old playlists. The Accompaniment playlist that had all my old practice material was gone. There were new files sections such as 'Finale Created Files' but this list definitely did not contain all my Finale created files. This is very disturbing and frustrating behavior for an upgrade. Can anyone provide insight as to where old playlists and file lists have gone. Can they be restored? I am definitely not happy about this "upgrade".

Posted By : Timothy - 8/25/2013 2:28 PM
I, too, have seen this. It has been especially frustrating since I have just started using this for an ear-training course and we are using SmartMusic for checking whether students are actually doing their singing assignments. I have also had the issue of SmartMusic crashing when I try to go into my class. I tried this on both my Macbook Air and my iMac at home This may be a Mac only problem, but I can't confirm. I am hoping that this has to do with the server maintenance they had announced they were doing on Friday and that maybe it isn't complete. I have a support request into them and will let you know if I get a worthwhile response.

Regards,
Tim

Timothy Rolls, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor or Music Theory/Composition/Music Technology
Fort Hays State University

iMac late 2009, 3.1 Ghz CoreDuo, 4 GB Ram, Finale 2011, Logic Pro, Arturia Analog Collection, Tassman 4, Lots of other plug-ins.

Posted By : Seth Adams - 8/25/2013 2:48 PM
Ronuts,

Thanks for posting. Our support team will definitely want to look into the issue you are having. Our forums are not monitored for technical issues, so the best way to get an answer quickly is to submit a support ticket. Follow this link, www.smartmusic.com/support, and click Ask a Question on the right to let them know about the playlist problem.

Seth

MakeMusic, Inc.

These online forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

Posted By : Ronuts - 8/25/2013 4:24 PM
Seth.. I have submitted a support ticket. I have to say, it sure seems this upgrade was released with insufficient testing. I will wait to see what response I get from the support ticket though. Hopefully this and some other issues mentioned in another post will be addressed.

Timothy.. thanks for your additional input on the issue.

Posted By : Ronuts - 9/1/2013 3:05 PM
To close the loop, I did hear back regarding my support ticket, and unfortunately there was no way to recover the lost playlists. For this user, the latest "upgrade" has been a nightmare. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely not have upgraded.

Posted By : cdykstra - 9/12/2013 7:07 PM
Mine updated today. I had just administered over 100 individual state mandated pre-tests for K-4 students this week and had a half dozen absentees to complete. I had the upgrade migrate files and when I opened the new version all of the playlists were present, but there were no files in the lists. Thankfully I had been saving screenshots of each test window and saved the mp3s with my files. It was a good thing because all of the saved takes had disappeared! This could have been a major disaster. It would have been good for SmartMusic to alert us in advance!

Posted By : Ronuts - 9/15/2013 11:24 PM
cdykstra... glad to hear you have the files and screenshots that will allow you to rebuild what you lost. I did not have any screenshots, so have been slowly rebuilding things from memory. It has been a very frustrating process. This upgrade has been a complete failure for me.