The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=490314
Posted By : Devo - Yesterday 8:02 AM
I can't remember how to do Play 2nd X only. Tried velocity but doesn't work. Windows 8.1 Finale 2012 Garritan JABB, Aria player.

Posted By : CraigP - Yesterday 8:20 AM
Devo said...
I can't remember how to do Play 2nd X only. Tried velocity but doesn't work. Windows 8.1 Finale 2012 Garritan JABB, Aria player.

I struggled with this for years. The solution I use works great, but is a little unconventional. I use the expressions to transpose the pitch out of range for the passes where I don't want to hear it.

To do 2nd X only, you can create an expression that does transpose to 0 and have this execute on the second pass only. Then add a hidden expression (maybe called "tacet"), placed before the 2XO expression. That one can execute on all passes, and has transpose = 100.

Or you can do it the other way around. At the beginning of the repeated section, add a hidden mark called "play all x" with transpose = 0 playing on all passes. Then the first note you want on the second pass only, assign the "2XO" expression, but this time execute on pass 1 and do transpose=100.

Either way works fine and I have had zero problems since using that technique. I suppose it could be a problem on a synth that really can play pitches 100 semitones higher.

Posted By : Devo - Yesterday 9:16 AM
I'm almost there, everything is silent on first pass but the 2nd Alto sax. Can't figure it out.

Posted By : Devo - Yesterday 9:41 AM
I deleted the 2nd alto notes then reentered them. Works fine now. Thanks so much for your help. Hope I can remember how to do this.

Posted By : Peter Thomsen - Yesterday 1:02 PM
To mute you can also assign a pass to an unused channel.
Might be easier.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2014d, 2014.5 & v25.2, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.12.2, iMac Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM