The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=23&m=350004
Posted By : Brian Wis - 11/9/2011 9:12 AM
I reviewed an old thread regarding implementing an intonation slider in the options. Having tried SmartMusic for a few weeks with our students, I view this feature as absolutely imperative. I am reviewing mp3 results where the student is clearly off by much more than 50 cents and SmartMusic calls it correct. To me that needs to be detected.

Posted By : James Lund - 11/9/2011 10:58 AM
Brian,

Welcome to the forum! If a student's instrument is consistently out of tune, SmartMusic will adjust the assessment results as if their tuning was different (A=444, A=432, etc.), so I think you might be seeing that happen in this student's case. If they're over 25 cents off of a particular note, it should give them a red note and show that they played the pitch a half-step up, however. If you're not seeing that behavior, please get in touch with our tech support team at smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/ask and they'll help look over the student submissions.

The concept of intonation "strictness" as an option has been submitted as a feature request already, and I'll pass along your request as well to help bump it up in popularity.

Thanks!

James Lund

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

Posted By : Brian Wis - 11/9/2011 12:52 PM
Is the ability to assess the intonation dependent on the tempo? In other words, at a fast tempo is intonation effectiveness reduced?

Post Edited (Brian Wis) : 11/9/2011 1:01:39 PM (GMT-6)

Posted By : James Lund - 11/9/2011 2:51 PM
Brian,

Theoretically, you could get inaccurate assessment results at a very fast tempo with repeated 16th/32nd notes, but we don't have any repertoire in SmartMusic that pushes that potential problem.

Thanks,

James Lund

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

Posted By : foo - 2/28/2012 10:19 AM
Agree. I'd like this feature also.

Posted By : foo - 2/29/2012 10:32 AM
One more thought about this. It would also be useful to be able to turn off the way the pitch floats if the average pitch is sharp or flat. If my intonation tolerance is 25 cents, I'd like it to be relative to A440, not to my hideous average bad pitch.

Posted By : Dan S - 9/11/2013 4:30 AM
O for the good old days of Pyware's iPAS, where if a student was consistently sharp or flat a screen would pop up and tell them.

I know that this thread is not 'recent', and I want to know if "SmartMusic will adjust the assessment results as if their tuning was different (A=444, A=432, etc.)" is still true.