The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=11&m=474054
Posted By : HaraldS - 4/10/2016 9:44 AM
Here's a JW Lua script I wrote. It adds brass fingerings for any valve or slide brass instrument.

How to use it:

• get JW Lua and install it
  • download the attached script "BrassFingerings.lua". Load it into the JW Lua plugin
  • download the attached library "Brass Fingering Library.lib" or set up your own (details below)
  • open your document and load the library into it
  • mark a region, launch the script
  • in the opening dialog, select whether you want fingerings for a valve instrument or slide positions for a trombone and select the root note for the instrument (=MIDI note value of the first pedal note). Examples are given in the dialog
  • click OK. The fingerings will be added as text expressions

Some remarks...

• before new fingerings are added, all old ones are removed. You can remove all fingerings by entering a root note of 127
  • if the script doesn't know a fingering, it doesn't add one
  • the script assumes a range of 4 and a half octaves, probably a bit more than an average brass student can play
  • the script will suggest a fourth valve when necessary, so it's up to you to keep in mind the instrument's range
  • the script doesn't consider smart trombone slide positions e.g. position substitutions for short slide movement
  • "V" in the trombone slide positions stands for "Valve" which means the F attachment
  • the opening dialog makes no assumptions about the instrument. Although it could (e.g. by analyzing the score's settings), it doesn't - simply to let the user control everything. E.G. in church brass choirs in Germany, Bb trumpets are used, but written without transposition
  • the library adds a text expression category "Brass fingerings" to your document. Change the look and appearance as you like
  • the script identifies the expressions by their descriptions, so if you set up your own library, enter the descriptions into the script as well (ca.line 74)
  • be sure not to change the transposition after you added fingerings. The fingerings are text expressions and thus won't change accordingly
  • I wrote and use this script for my work as a teacher of brass instruments. A common scenario is students doubling on unusual instruments, e.g. a tenor trombonist doubling on F-Tuba or alto trombone. As fingerings are provided, the inhibition level for students gets lower
  • students should of course not always play with fingerings, it's just for learning purposes
  • that's version 1.0, enhancements in future versions are most probably

Harald

Finale 3.0-2014.5, german edition, Windows 7
lots of hardware synths/keys, Cubase 7 / trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

Posted By : Motet - 4/21/2016 1:44 AM
I don't have much use for this, but I tried it and it's very cool--bravo!

On the Bb "side" of a double French horn (pedal tone 34), most players would finger midi pitch 61 (written G# in F transposition) as 2+3 rather than just 2; same for a octave higher (73).

Likewise, most players would finger midi pitch 62 (written A in F transpositon) as 1+2 rather than open; and the same for an octave higher (74).

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Posted By : HaraldS - 4/22/2016 12:11 PM
Motet said...
I don't have much use for this, but I tried it and it's very cool--bravo!
On the Bb "side" of a double French horn (pedal tone 34), most players would finger midi pitch 61 (written G# in F transposition) as 2+3 rather than just 2; same for a octave higher (73).
Likewise, most players would finger midi pitch 62 (written A in F transpositon) as 1+2 rather than open; and the same for an octave higher (74).

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Greetings,
Harald

Finale 3.0-2014.5, german edition, Windows 7
lots of hardware synths/keys, Cubase 7 / trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany