The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=465977
Posted By : FireFireFire - 12/3/2015 4:06 PM
Ok this has gotten way out of hand...the original post was just a request that 3rd party VSTs not be removed when changing instruments. It has nothing to do with supporting various software and libraries...the user can add them if they want, but Finale shouldn't remove them arbitrarily when changing instruments.

Posted By : Ron. - 12/3/2015 4:43 PM
You seem to have missed the point. Finale depends on a number of supporting files so that it can identify and access the sound libraries it uses. If those files are missing, then Finale cannot handle the third party sound libraries in the same way that it handles the Garritan libraries. Even at that, in order to get the Garritan libraries to work you have to go to MM's website and download the .xml and .txt files needed. So, who is going to supply the .xml and .txt files to support the several dozen different libraries out there? I suggest you go to the people who supplied your sample library and ask them to supply the necessary support files, as it is completely unreasonable to expect MakeMusic to supply them.

It is apparent you don't like this answer, so I'll drop the subject.

Finale 2014.5

GPO4, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

www.composeforums.com

Posted By : Peter F - 12/3/2015 7:54 PM
@Ron. I think FireFireFire is actually asking about a feature in Finale that creates a new, separate instrument with new settings when you select a measure and click Utilities > Change Instrument. Because this feature necessitates creating a new instrument, Finale's ScoreManager does need to be readjusted to include the new playback sound.

@FireFireFire: Your request is valid, and you should make sure we hear about it officially. You can contact us directly by submitting a support case at makemusic.custhelp.com/app/ask. In your case, it's helpful for our Customer Success Team to know the specific feature to which you're referring. I recommend explaining the exact steps you take in Finale to get to the behavior you want to discuss. That way, we can replicate the same thing on our computers and better understand your position.

Also, while it isn't against the rules or anything, making forum posts with no subject usually causes other members to ignore your post. I always recommend using a subject of some kind for every post. For this one, you could write "Finale changes playback sound when I use Change Instrument" or something similar.

Peter Flom
Music Production Engineer/Quality Assurance Technician
MakeMusic, Inc.

Need technical help? Click here to submit a support case.

Posted By : FireFireFire - 12/4/2015 1:17 PM
Ron. said...
You seem to have missed the point. Finale depends on a number of supporting files so that it can identify and access the sound libraries it uses. If those files are missing, then Finale cannot handle the third party sound libraries in the same way that it handles the Garritan libraries. Even at that, in order to get the Garritan libraries to work you have to go to MM's website and download the .xml and .txt files needed. So, who is going to supply the .xml and .txt files to support the several dozen different libraries out there? I suggest you go to the people who supplied your sample library and ask them to supply the necessary support files, as it is completely unreasonable to expect MakeMusic to supply them.

It is apparent you don't like this answer, so I'll drop the subject.

You're really not understanding the issue. All we need is for Finale to stop removing VSTs...that's it. It has nothing to do with supporting files - just don't remove the VSTs. I don't care if Finale can't handle them the same way as Garritan, that's not the issue (I'll do them myself), I simply don't want Finale to remove them.

Sorry about the new post - thought I was replying to the other thread.

Posted By : Charles Lawrence - 12/5/2015 9:31 AM
FireFireFire said...

All we need is for Finale to stop removing VSTs...that's it. ... ... I simply don't want Finale to remove them.

See the other thread for my comments.  I did not find the Kontakt 5 VST player to be removed when I switched back and forth between a Kontakt 5 sound and a GPO4 sound using the Change Instrument utility.  It worked as you would expect it to.  Perhaps you can give more detailed information about the issue and how it manifests itself, other than just making a blanket statement that the Change Instrument Utility removed my VSTs.  What is your version of Windows?  What is your version of Finale?  What is your version of the Kontakt product?  Is it up to date?  Is it a left over from earlier versions of Finale/Garritan?  What sound were you using?  Any additional information would be helpful.  Post the offending file.  I have tried it with two VST players with no issue, ARIA and Kontakt 5.  Perhaps I misunderstand your issue.  Perhaps it is user error, dare I mention it.  We just cannot tell.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

32 GB RAM

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD system disk

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Posted By : Ron. - 12/5/2015 9:57 AM
The reason for my "obsession" with the support files is that the poster apparently wants his samples to be handled in exactly the same way that Garritan samples are handled by Finale. As other have pointed out using the Kontakt player and Aria player side-by-side has not been an issue, but apparently this is not how our poster wants it to work. But unless FireFireFire gives us a sample file and more details on exactly what he wants other than a vague and unsubstantiated complaint, we will just keep going around in circles.

Finale 2014.5

GPO4, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

www.composeforums.com