The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=411068
Posted By : delcuj - 11/5/2013 10:09 AM
I purchased Finale 2014 last evening, and downloaded the product. When I went to start Finale 2014, I received the following error message:
AUDIO ENGINE FAILED TO LOAD, PLEASE RESTART FINALE. Only have a message screen was available, but it looked like there was an error message #7…hard to tell.

In any case, there is no sound for playback, not option for hyper scribe. If I select hyper scribe as an option and try to input, the screen remains frozen, nothing happens, the marker does not move, the metronome does not click or move forward in counts.

I have a macbook pro, OS 10.8.5. There was another post similar to this, but I don't think I have the same issue. I called Make Music support this morning and will now be filling a out a system profile to see if they can trouble shoot this issue.

Just wondering if anyone is having similar issues. I have Finale 2012, and fortunately, that is still running fine, sound and all.

thanks!

Posted By : JustinP - 11/5/2013 10:17 AM
If you go to MIDI/Audio Menu > Device Setup > Audio Setup, what options are listed under the Audio Output dropdown menu?

Thanks!

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Need to contact Finale Technical Support? Click here to create a support case.
Twitter

Posted By : delcuj - 11/5/2013 10:33 AM
drop down menu has the following:
- Built-in Output (which is the one selected)
- Airplay
- Motorola S10-HD
- Motorola S10-HD(Stero)

If I do "test audio output"…there is no sound.

thanks!

Posted By : HelmutTheDancer - 11/5/2013 12:57 PM
I just installed 2014 and cannot get Hyper Scribe to work. Midi files load and play correctly, but I cannot record anything.The screen freezes completely.

Posted By : JustinP - 11/5/2013 1:50 PM
Is Bluetooth on?

Let's give this a try:

1) Press Command + Space Bar and type "Preferences"
2) open System Preferences in the list of items
3) Click on Bluetooth
4) Turn off Bluetooth
5) Launch Finale

Does the same problem occur?

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Twitter

Posted By : JustinP - 11/5/2013 1:51 PM
HelmutTheDancer said...
I just installed 2014 and cannot get Hyper Scribe to work. Midi files load and play correctly, but I cannot record anything.The screen freezes completely.

Does MIDI Input work in Simple or Speedy Entry?

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Twitter

Posted By : delcuj - 11/5/2013 2:08 PM
OH MY GOSH….U R GENIUS! So simple….thank you for taking the time to look into this. SOOOO excited about working in Finale 2014, thank you for your diligence….

AHHH!!!

best,

john

Posted By : JustinP - 11/5/2013 6:13 PM
Hi John,

So I'm guessing turning off Bluetooth did the trick? Does it crash again if you turn it back on?

I'd like to track this one down, because that's a troubleshooting step, and not a solution :-).

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Twitter

Posted By : bassoongoddess7 - 11/5/2013 6:20 PM
Justin,
This is the same person from Facebook that is having that same problem. I tried the bluetooth trick and it still doesn't work.

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 11/5/2013 7:16 PM
The bluetooth thing didn't help for my issue, either. I know they aren't related, but I'm trying any remedy that comes along!

And I had to dig out a corded mouse!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org

Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014 on Mac 10.9
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Posted By : PWade - 11/9/2013 7:38 PM
So, now I can't use my wireless mouse! Am I going to have to purchase a corded mouse? This is ridiculous!

Mac Book Pro
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Finale 2011
East West Symphonic Gold
Ivory Grand Pianos, Synthogy
Pro Tools 9
Kontakt 4
Play
Komplete 7

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 11/9/2013 8:40 PM
Everybody in MM's labs has Apple products with corded keyboards and mice?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society

Posted By : josefern - 11/9/2013 9:33 PM
Same audio error here. Mac Pro Mavericks 10.9 Finale 2014 "Audio Engine failed to load." error.

I don't have any playback in either midi or audio units? Whats up with the complicated fix and why bluetooth?

I've tried this all and it still does not work?

Do I have to wipe off all previous finale versions and instruments?

Finale 2012 works fine for audio, But 2014 is dead on arrival. Very time-wasting and frustrating. What else to try?

Posted By : JustinP - 11/9/2013 11:50 PM
PWade said...
So, now I can't use my wireless mouse! Am I going to have to purchase a corded mouse? This is ridiculous!

It's not Bluetooth, it's most likely an audio device that's causing problems that's connected via Bluetooth. I'm typing this from my wireless keyboard and trackpad.

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Twitter

Posted By : JustinP - 11/9/2013 11:51 PM
josefern said...
Same audio error here. Mac Pro Mavericks 10.9 Finale 2014 "Audio Engine failed to load." error.

I don't have any playback in either midi or audio units? Whats up with the complicated fix and why bluetooth?

I've tried this all and it still does not work?

Do I have to wipe off all previous finale versions and instruments?

Finale 2012 works fine for audio, But 2014 is dead on arrival. Very time-wasting and frustrating. What else to try?

What type of audio hardware do you use with your computer? If none, do you have any sound recording or routing applications open when you try to launch Finale?

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Twitter

Posted By : Ned Mcgowan - 11/10/2013 5:58 AM
I had the same problem. Neither the bit rate and channels or Bluetooth corrected the problem. However in the Audio Midi Setup I did have a couple of settings related to the Vodburner (Skype video recorder). I unistalled the program and then Finale 2014 worked.

Ned

Posted By : kgoodson - 11/10/2013 7:05 PM
I am having the same issue. I'm already using a corded mouse & keyboard. Just turned off Bluetooth, started Finale and got the same error. Running a MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Mac OS x 10.9.

Considering Notion.

Kenny Goodson
MADD Creations

Kenny Goodson
kenny@maddcreations.com
kgoodson@ntcc.edu
http://www.maddcreations.com

Posted By : kgoodson - 11/10/2013 7:20 PM
OK. I went to Finale's Support page and it recommended the following:

Mac:

Go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.
Select the default output device.
Change the format to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit.
Launch Finale.

Mine was set to 44100.o Hz and 1ch-16bit. I made the recommended change. When I launched Finale, I got the same error message multiple (3-4) times. I then loaded the file I had been using to test the playback and it played back successfully. The file was a marching band score using a combination of Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2 for wind instruments and SmartMusic SoftSynth for drumline.

Kenny Goodson
kenny@maddcreations.com
kgoodson@ntcc.edu
http://www.maddcreations.com

Posted By : daerp - 11/10/2013 10:01 PM
My default audio set up was fine (it was set to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit) which was recommended. My playback through MIDI works, but playing back with AUs doesn't work (sound stutters or no playback). I saved the file in Finale 2012 format and no problem playing back the file with AUs.
My problems started when I installed Garritan's JABB3 according to the instructions on the MM site. I've removed JABB3 but the problems persist.

This post isn't helping very much, I realize, but I'm hoping that a solution might appear here soon.

iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB of memory, OSX 10.9, Finale 2014, Digital Performer 7, Yamaha S90, M-Audio Prokeys SONO 61 Homepage: www.paulread.ca

Posted By : josefern - 11/11/2013 2:30 PM
From what I can tell there are no other audio devices or interfaces running when I get this error. I've attempted to remove preferences that could have been corrupt, and unplug other audio devices. It did not help.

Please keep on posting ideas for a solution. I need to use the program for a big job in the studio, but I'm crippled until this is solved.

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 11/11/2013 6:26 PM
You are certainly not crippled! You can continue to use 2012, or whatever you used, before. Save the 2014 for when you don't have a deadline hanging over your head!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Posted By : Steven Errante - 11/11/2013 7:34 PM
Finale 2014, Mac OS 10.8.5, MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

No audio devices connected, audio output set to 44100.0 Hz / 2ch-16 bit integer

With Bluetooth on:

"Audio Engine failed to load. Please restart Finale" in improperly-sized dialog box
No sound when entering notes in Simple Entry
Hyperscribe either freezes or doesn't appear to receive incoming notes
Playback- no sound, and I-beam indicator that shows playback point remains at the beginning of m. 1

With Bluetooth off:

Normal Finale behavior

Posted By : Jeffrey Quick - 11/16/2013 8:47 AM
What Steven said, except that I don't get the error message. No sound until I turned off Bluetooth, which is no loss for me. I was set for 24 bit and kept it there. Advantage in going to 16?
OS 10.9, imac8 (2.4Ghz Core Duo)

Posted By : Robert Paterson - 11/20/2013 3:41 PM
I had the same problem, and visited this page: http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5523

I switched everything to 44.1, 16 bit, and now everything works fine, without messing with Bluetooth settings. I'll report back if any more issues crop up, but all seems fine now.

BTW: I'm using a MacPro, OSX 10.9.

Robert Paterson, Composer
http://www.robpaterson.com
Finale 2011br2
Setup: Mac Pro Desktop
Finale 2012c, TG Tools, Pro Tools, Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, etc.
mAudio 88 Key USB MIDI Keyboard

Posted By : Vaughan - 11/20/2013 3:58 PM
What do you do if your sound output device doesn't support anything but 48 kHz?

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.9
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Posted By : La Leyenda - 11/22/2013 6:42 AM
You have a sound card that ONLY supports 48kHz and not 44.1? You've got a winner then!

Posted By : Vaughan - 11/22/2013 8:13 AM
Not the sound card. External USB speakers from Bose. If I don't mind clicking away the error message (four times!) I can use them with Finale but if I want to export audio, I either have to switch to the internal speakers or change the pitch of the file in Audacity. It's only a minor irritation.

Vaughan

MacOS 10.9
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Posted By : delcuj - 1/8/2014 11:17 PM
I'm back. I started this conversation a couple of months ago, and everything was fine, until I downloaded a upgrade to 2014 as it appeared when I opened finale. I now have the same error message " Audio Engine Failed to Load" - a message that appears in a box that isn't even full sized. There is no active USB device, I have also tried the other advice - Change the format to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit. - NO LUCK

I can't use hyper scribe because it freezes, there is no sound. If I just downloaded this upgrade, my fear is that others may not have experienced this issue....yet. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I have a mac book pro, 10.9.1

I should have known not to upgrade so fast.......

HELP!

thanks...

Posted By : Vaughan - 1/9/2014 2:49 PM
I'm back, too. I get exactly the same results* (will report them to MM), including the same truncated error message box. I've also tried changing system settings and using the internal speakers set to 44,1 mHz but it doesn't help. Now I don't have any sound at all, either. Grrr!

*Interestingly, this happens on my MacPro but not my MacBookPro.

Vaughan

MacOS 10.9
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 1/9/2014 3:00 PM
Hmm.. I notice that earlier in this thread, someone had AirPlay as an option in their Audio devices. Someone else with a crashing problem also had it, I think.

Might be worth turning off AirPlay as an experiment?

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014, 2.6Ghz 2012 MacMini 16Gb RAM (10.9); 2009 MacBook
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Juraj Bartos - 1/9/2014 3:15 PM
Hello guys,

I installed Finale 2014a update yesterday and it worked just fine (TGTools working!!!!).

Today I opened Finale and had the same "Audio device failed to load - err. 7" as far as I could recognise (out of dialog box).

I can reproduce the crash - Finale 2014a works and opens fine if I do not attach my Thunderbolt Belkin docking station with some HDD's and Korg MicroKey MIDI keyboard attached.

If I attach that Belkin with all those HDDS and other peripherals Finale crashes every time.

Sending this to MM support.

Juraj Bartos, www.serenaders.sk

Finale 2001-2012c, Finale 2014
Tobias Giesen TGTools, Patterson Plugins, Jari Williamsson Plugins
ProTools 10.3.2, Pro Tools 11, Waves Platinum, Sibelius 7

MacBook Pro 15" 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.8.5 (retina with SSD HD)
MacBook Pro 17" , 2,16 Dual Core, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8
Korg Micro Key 61/49/25, M-Audio Keystation Mini 32

Finale 2.2 - 2008
Asus W1, 2 GHz Centrino, 1 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro

Posted By : Juraj Bartos - 1/9/2014 3:41 PM
I downgraded back to Finale 2014 and it works fine again even with my Belkin Thunderbolt dockin station and all peripherals attached, even TGTools works :-)

Juraj Bartos, www.serenaders.sk

Finale 2001-2012c, Finale 2014
Tobias Giesen TGTools, Patterson Plugins, Jari Williamsson Plugins
ProTools 10.3.2, Pro Tools 11, Waves Platinum, Sibelius 7

MacBook Pro 15" 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.8.5 (retina with SSD HD)
MacBook Pro 17" , 2,16 Dual Core, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8
Korg Micro Key 61/49/25, M-Audio Keystation Mini 32

Finale 2.2 - 2008
Asus W1, 2 GHz Centrino, 1 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro

Posted By : shecktek - 1/9/2014 8:01 PM
Hello, this "Audio Engine Error " pop-up when finale 2014a starts up was eliminated here by removing a USB Apogee GIO device.

I have multiple usb hubs with plenty of devices connected to an imac -- even a blackmagic intensity extreme via thunderbolt.

The only item on my setup which caused that "Audio Engine Error" was the apogee GIO .
The latest mavericks driver was also installed for the GIO but as long as it is connected, that "Audio Engine Error" remains.

culprit here: Apogee GIO usb device

Allso noted that the other audio devices were in 44.1khz 24bit mode and all was fine ; however, changing the sample rate to 48khz caused a crash.

Posted By : tnw2933 - 1/18/2014 12:54 PM
I have just purchased a new Mac Pro 6.1 which I am using with Apple's 27 in. Thunderbolt Display. I downloaded Finale 2014a from Finale's web site, installed it without any errors messages appearing, and double clicked on the Finale 2014 icon to run the application. I get the immediate error message "Audio Engine Error". Audio engine failed to load." I cannot use Finale as nothing happens when I click on play.

I have tried the following measures to solve the problem. (1) I have gone into the Audio Midi Setup Utility and made sure that the Default Audio Device (Display Audio) is selected and that 44.1 is selected as the sample rate with a bit rate of 16. (2) I have uninstalled and reinstalled Finale 2014a on this Mac Pro. (3) I have made sure that audio setup is correct in Finale 2014a. (4) I have gone into System Preferences> Sound and tried the internal audio speaker on the Mac Pro 6.1 with the Audio Devices setup in Finale 2014a to internal sound input. (5) I turned off Bluetooth. NONE of these measures have helped. In summary, Finale 2014a will simply not run on Apple's flagship $10,000+ Mac Pro.

Pleas note also that I am running Finale 2014a on my six year old Mac Pro 3.1, and it runs perfectly with no problems with the Audio Engine failing to load.

This thread seems to offer a number of suggestions, all of which I believe that I have tried. Does anyone have any idea what I should try next?

Tom

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 1/18/2014 2:31 PM
Some people were having playback problems because in the 2014a update Garritan rolled the Aria player back to an old version. Let me see if I can find that thread.

Bill

Here's what MM customer support wrote: Finale 2014a does come with the most current version of the ARIA player (version 1.620). However, GPO4 is a few years old and it has an older version of the ARIA player. If you install GPO after you install Finale, the GPO installer will roll back your ARIA player. If you were to install them in the other order (GPO4 and then Finale), you'd have the correct version of the ARIA player.

Finale 2014a (all versions since 1.0)
Mostly I use 2011c
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.1

Post Edited (Bill Stevens) : 1/18/2014 1:35:51 PM (GMT-6)

Posted By : tnw2933 - 1/18/2014 3:16 PM
Bill,

I assume that you are directing this to me, and I thank you for your suggestion.

I don't believe that 2014a rolled back the Aria Player because I opened it and it is version 1.620 which apparently is the latest version.

I am going to try re-downloading 2014a again and reinstalling one final time.

Tom

Posted By : CCMP - 1/18/2014 3:48 PM
The last week I've setup my System Audio to internal. In Finale I have changed my audio setting to my external Motu 896 mkIII. It looks more stable now. Only Finale is using my Motu, all the other programs using the internal speakers.

CCMP (Cees Coenen Music Productions)

WWW.CCMP.NL

Finale 2014 - Logic Pro X - Ableton Live on OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks)
Garritan JABB - Garritan Concert and Marching Band - EZ Drummer - Superior Drummer - Spectrasonics Omnisphere and Trillian

Posted By : tnw2933 - 1/18/2014 4:46 PM
Just an update on my failure to load the audio engine problem in Finale 2014. I just installed Finale 2012 on my new Mac Pro 6.1 and it plays back perfectly with no problems. I did not have to change any settings after installing Finale 2012. Finale 2014 still gives the Audio Engine failed to load warning on opening and does not play. Clearly, there is a problem on some Macs with Finale 2014a.

Tom

Posted By : Jim Balentine - 1/18/2014 6:20 PM
I was having a similar problem, and MM support found that it was the Mac Display Audio that was causing the problem, apparently because it has only a single mono input. I disconnected the Display USB cable and 2014a has worked fine since. I was told they are working on a fix for it. My display is a 27" Cinema, not a Thunderbolt, but it might be the problem, if not a solution.

Jim

Finale 2012c, ?Finale 2014a? - MacPro 2.93 GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.9.1 (home office); Macbook Pro 2.3 GHZ - OS 10.9.1 (portable office)
M Audio Keystation 61es
Finale 2012c - iMac 3.2 GHz, OS 10.6.8 (school office), Ensoniq KS-32

Posted By : tnw2933 - 1/18/2014 7:28 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the helpful tip. I have a stereo audio output from the Apple 27 in. Thunderbolt display. I hate to disconnect the display's USB from my Mac Pro as I am using it's USB inputs for my mouse. I did try changing the audio out of the Mac Pro to the internal audio speakers and made the same change inFinale 2014a, but that did not help.

Tom

Posted By : Jim Balentine - 1/19/2014 8:42 AM
Tom,

Apparently it's not the outputs from the Display - mine are stereo too - it's the input which is mono. Why that should affect it is a mystery, but my guess is that now you can't manage Audio Units from Finale; it scans for everything on your machine, and if it doesn't like what it finds for any reason, it doesn't work. I hated disconnecting the USB from the Display too, but added a hub for keyboard and mouse - I still miss the camera and microphone, so I don't make Facetime or Skype calls anymore from this machine, but Finale 2014a is working.

I think they are working on it - hopefully will have another update before too long.

Jim

Finale 2012c, ?Finale 2014a? - MacPro 2.93 GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.9.1 (home office); Macbook Pro 2.3 GHZ - OS 10.9.1 (portable office)
M Audio Keystation 61es
Finale 2012c - iMac 3.2 GHz, OS 10.6.8 (school office), Ensoniq KS-32

Posted By : tnw2933 - 1/19/2014 12:40 PM
Jim

I am very grateful for your help.

I fully understand what you are saying, and I respect your choice to disconnect the USB connection of your display in order to get Finale 2014a to work.

I have made the decision that I am not willing to give up the display audio and USB on my Apple Thunderbolt Display just to get Finale 2014a to work. I reinstalled Finale 2012, which works fine without the need to disconnect the USB connection to the display.

I am quite hopeful that MakeMusic can address this issue rapidly so I can begin using Finale 2014.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond with some helpful advice.

Tom

Posted By : DGGP - 2/13/2014 3:15 AM
I had this problem and seemed to have solved it by getting rid of a file called soundflower.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3983126?start=15&tstart=0 )

Posted By : tnw2933 - 2/13/2014 12:24 PM
Thanks for the response. I have no soundflower.ktext file in my Systems>Library>Extensions.

I filed a tech support ticket with MakeMusic, and received a response indicating that this was a known problem with Finale 2014a and was because the display audio input is mono whereas Finale 2014a is expecting a stereo input. They indicated that the problem would be addressed in the next update to Finale 2014. I am disappointed that more than a month later I am still waiting for an update that makes Finale 2014 useable on my new Mac Pro. I have reverted back to finale 2012 on this computer, but I will not be updating Finale again if this problem is not addressed. I am not going to disconnect my Thunderbolt display just tot use Finale 2014a.

Tom

Posted By : loff56 - 4/22/2014 3:45 PM
Oy! Just rigged up my new system. Brand new Macbook Pro, Brand New Thunderbolt Display. Came across the same problem with 2014a. The audio engine loads when the display is disconnected, but not when it's connected! MAN is that an inconvenience to say the LEAST!! But thanks for tracking down this problem. I couldn't figure out what it was until I read this thread. I sure hope MM fixes this in the next update. The good news is that I don't have a lot of people working in 2014 yet. But I'm gonna' have to do some bouncing between 2012 and 2014 I think until the issue gets resolved. At least 2014 is usable, just... you know... you just can't hear anything. OY

Thanks for the info though. And hopefully this will get resolved soon!

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 4/22/2014 4:06 PM
Loff,
Please file a report with Tech Support. The more people who write in with a problem, the better the chance for a fix.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014a, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.2

Posted By : Erin Vork - 4/22/2014 4:19 PM
Hi Loff,

There is a good chance that you're running into the same issue as Jim's. If that's the case, we do have a fix coming for you. To be sure, can you find an upload your Plogue logs? You'll find them here:

1. open Finder, then hold down SHIFT+COMMAND+G
2. Type or copy & paste the following location:
~/Library/Application Support/Makemusic/Finale
3. open the folder named PlogueEngine
4. Find the file named PlogueEngine.log and copy it to your desktop

Erin Vork
Notation and Garritan Product Specialist
Product Management
MakeMusic, Inc.

Need technical help? Click here to submit a support case.

Posted By : loff56 - 4/22/2014 4:21 PM
Just did! It's seriously a big issue! And of course 2011 and 2012 don't suffer this same problem.

2014b must be coming relatively soon, no? It's been a while since the "a" release, right? I don't know what I'm gonna' do if this isn't fixed in "b". I don't want to go back to using my old monitor. This Thunderbolt 27" monitor is the bomb!! :-(

Posted By : loff56 - 4/22/2014 4:24 PM
Here's that PlogueEngine file you're looking for...

Thanks,
Jason

Posted By : Erin Vork - 4/22/2014 4:27 PM
Hi Loff,

I found this in the Plogue log:

E:2708586920:1138961800:Display Audio
E:2708586920:1138961802:Pa_openStream: Error number: -9998 message: Invalid number of channels
I:2708586920:1138961805:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's good news! We do have a fix for this problem in the works for Finale 2014b. We're currently testing the update, and it will be out later this spring.

Erin Vork
Product Management
MakeMusic, Inc.

Posted By : loff56 - 4/22/2014 5:50 PM
Woo-Hoo! Thanks Erin!

Now... where's that list of all the other bugs I want fixed.... Ah-ha [unfurls ancient scroll that falls to the floor and rolls down the hall]... ;-)

Posted By : Clesall - 5/6/2014 4:03 PM
It's as well I don't use Finale. MuseScore does everything I need, but I did upgrade my underused Finale 2012 to 2014a today hoping that the ugliness of 2012 was gone, which it is.

However I immediately hit the 'Audio Engine fails to load' issue on my brand new Mac Pro with Mavericks, Thunderbolt display.

Reading through the various messages, I thought that if it was the mono input port (in-built microphone) causing the problem, then the simple solution would be to plug in a Line6 Toneport and switch the input to that stereo source. But it doesn't fix it. I see in the Plogue log that the Tomeport is recognised and loaded. But then Plogue finds the mono input and croaks.

The fact the MakeMusic are saying in this thread that they have known what the problem is since January, although it was being reported last October and it is now May, they have a fix and have not made a patch available seems shocking to me. Why are they selling and taking money for a product that doesn't work? This is a criminal act in any jurisdiction.

How do I go about getting my $167.94 back?

Posted By : Erin Vork - 5/6/2014 4:19 PM
Hi Clesall,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. We are working on getting Finale 2014b out as quickly as possible, but testing takes time, and I'm afraid that the update is not quite ready yet. We do have a few options for you, however.

First of all, you can certainly contact Customer Support about a refund. We do offer a 30-day money back offer if you purchased it directly from us. However, if you'd like to use Finale 2014, we do have a workaround for you. The issue with the Thunderbolt display first appeared in the "a" update to Finale. If you uninstall Finale 2014a and then install the un-updated version, you shouldn't have these problems. You can find the links to that version of Finale here:

makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5521

When we've finished testing the "b" update, you'll be notified in Finale that it's available.

Erin Vork
Product Management
MakeMusic, Inc.

Posted By : Clesall - 5/7/2014 2:39 AM
Thank you for the link to 2014. That does resolve the problem with the audio engine. I apologise for being so stroppy, but that is how I felt considering I had spent a lot of money and time doing a lot of searching for an answer and hadn't found one. Your own forum search engine doesn't work, it simply times out.

I still do not understand why you could not have issued an interim patch for the audio engine problem. It has obviously frustrated a lot of your customers.

Now I can find out whether I prefer Finale to Sibelius. I was very happy with Sibelius until it went to version 7. The introduction of he 'ribbon', as they called it, was a terrible mistake. It is ugly from its colour, poorly designed with regard to layout, and makes it frustrating trying to find the tools you might have been familiar with. I gave up with it. They hadn't even left the previous tool commands in place.

And some of its long-standing bugs still weren't resolved, such as its handling of hyphenation.

I mention this in case you get similar ideas! :-)

Posted By : David Ward - 5/7/2014 3:36 AM
Clesall said...
Your own forum search engine doesn't work, it simply times out.
The forum's own search facility is fairly useless. However, you can search the forum via Google.

In Google search, type this:   site:forum.makemusic.com   followed by a space or a plus sign (+) then the words you are searching for.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014a with Mac 10.8.5
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

Post Edited (David Ward) : 5/7/2014 3:40:21 AM (GMT-5)

Posted By : Clesall - 5/7/2014 3:41 AM
Yes, Google is the only way to search the forum.

Posted By : Erin Vork - 5/7/2014 11:35 AM
I don't blame anyone for being upset when things don't work. It's a perfectly normal response, so no worries there.

I wish it were as simple for us as putting out an interim patch for problems like this. Getting a patch or update out the door is a pretty significant undertaking, and it isn't something we (or you) want us to rush through. Still, you're quite right in saying that this is a big issue for the customers who run into this problem. Have you spent any time with our Knowledge Base? This is the best way to find answers and information when things are going wrong with our products (and the search works very well).

This particular forum does have a lot of issues (in addition to the search function). We are working on putting up a new one with better functionality. But in the meantime, David's workaround for searching is the best option here.

Erin Vork
Product Management
MakeMusic, Inc.

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 5/7/2014 7:06 PM
Erin Vork said...

This particular forum does have a lot of issues (in addition to the search function). We are working on putting up a new one with better functionality. But in the meantime, David's workaround for searching is the best option here.

Then please, please, please, put up a sticky that says so, and link that SEARCH button to the sticky!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014a, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.2

Posted By : Erin Vork - 5/8/2014 9:48 AM
Done!

Erin Vork
Product Management
MakeMusic, Inc.