Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How can I make my own plug in for Finale?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

TheMaster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit TheMaster's website.Send a Private Message to TheMasterAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 195

Posted 11/6/2005 9:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which skills do I need?
suggest online book, software etc...
I need it soon...

Finale 2004 (so far), P4, XPPro, Sony

TheMaster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit TheMaster's website.Send a Private Message to TheMasterAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/7/2005 9:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have to make a plug-in for Finale which calculates difference tones from a chord.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 11/7/2005 1:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You need to know how to program in C++, and you need to download the Finale plug-in development kit from the MakeMusic download site.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

TheMaster
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/7/2005 4:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ach...
I don't know C++.....

TheMaster
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/8/2005 7:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How long does it take for someone with good skills in C++ to make a plug in?
Is that a lot of job?

Stephen Henry
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stephen HenryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 238

Posted 11/8/2005 10:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

C++ isn't easy to learn. Here is a link to Mr. Patterson's web page of tips on writing a Finale Plug-in:

http://robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/finmain.html

He is the creator of Patterson Plug-ins for Finale. Perhaps this will give a little insight into what's involved. Hope this helps.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000

Posted 11/9/2005 3:08 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, you have to be good at C++ and also know Finale pretty well. So it's a pretty limited set of people who can build these plug-ins.

Tobias Giesen accepts sponsorship for additions to TGTools. See:

http://www.tgtools.com/requests.htm

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

TheMaster
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/9/2005 5:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would like to have one plugin. How much can I pay for it?
It is regarding the MIDI manipulation, not graphic.

Stephen Henry
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stephen HenryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 238

Posted 11/9/2005 11:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What sort of midi manipulation?

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Date Joined May 2000

Posted 11/10/2005 1:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Recordare also does custom Finale plug-in development. We're a bit backlogged right now, which is why I referred you to Tobias first.

For more information, please fill out our form at:

http://www.recordare.com/xml/consulting.html

The more information that you can provide about what the plug-in should do, the more accurately we can estimate the cost.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

TheMaster
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/15/2005 5:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is quite simply. There is plug-in "virtual findamental" created by openMusic, and that I need is very similar.
I need difference tone calculator.
-----for instance:
If we have a chord of
E-G-B (Emin)
there will be difference tones
E-G=C
E-B=B
G-B=G
How do I get it? People that know what difference tone is will guess. Just as relatios 3:2, 4:3 and such..
------
If there is anyone who will help I will post more about it (attach PDF document..)

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 11/27/2005 7:56 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
TheMaster said...
That is quite simply. There is plug-in "virtual findamental" created by openMusic, and that I need is very similar.
I need difference tone calculator.
-----for instance:
If we have a chord of
E-G-B (Emin)
there will be difference tones
E-G=C
E-B=B
G-B=G
How do I get it? People that know what difference tone is will guess. Just as relatios 3:2, 4:3 and such..
------
If there is anyone who will help I will post more about it (attach PDF document..)

I too have been contemplating this question, because I want to do some chord multiplications which is surely something that a computer should be good (and quick) at doing.

Perhaps for something like this if you know the formula you could use the Python language which looks reasonably straightforward, or maybe even Excel? Of course you'd then have to translate the numbers into notes...

The other possibility is Google Answers. It might be more cost-effective for you do get someone (from India?) to do it rather than learn a a programming language. Not that anyone on Google Answers would know how to programme Finale plugins, but they may be able to do Python or Visual Basic or something.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Date Joined May 2000

Posted 11/27/2005 8:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Matthew's note brought up another possibility - export the Finale file to MusicXML, write a program in your favorite programming language (such as Python) working on the MusicXML file, and then re-import the revised MusicXML file into Finale. Most developers find the MusicXML format much easier to work with than Finale's format.

I still don't really understand the problem - do you have a lot of chords in the Finale file or one chord? Do you need to select chords within a Finale file or is it OK to run the plug-in on the whole file? (The MusicXML approach will work better if you can run the plug-in on the entire Finale file at once.) Screen shots of what you want to see before and after might help.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

TheMaster
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 12/12/2005 9:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael Good said...
Matthew's note brought up another possibility - export the Finale file to MusicXML, write a program in your favorite programming language (such as Python) working on the MusicXML file, and then re-import the revised MusicXML file into Finale. Most developers find the MusicXML format much easier to work with than Finale's format.

I still don't really understand the problem - do you have a lot of chords in the Finale file or one chord? Do you need to select chords within a Finale file or is it OK to run the plug-in on the whole file? (The MusicXML approach will work better if you can run the plug-in on the entire Finale file at once.) Screen shots of what you want to see before and after might help.

Well, will that XML be a kind of "plug-in" or...?
Not good in programming, but can try.
I want to select (in one staff) a chord (let us say whole notes) and the result should be entered in the next bar.
Here you can see what I mean:

www.adagio.se/difference-calculation.TIF
and here are difference tones
www.adagio.se/differencetones.TIF

Matthew Hindson said...

I too have been contemplating this question, because I want to do some chord multiplications which is surely something that a computer should be good (and quick) at doing.

Perhaps for something like this if you know the formula you could use the Python language which looks reasonably straightforward, or maybe even Excel? Of course you'd then have to translate the numbers into notes...

The other possibility is Google Answers. It might be more cost-effective for you do get someone (from India?) to do it rather than learn a a programming language. Not that anyone on Google Answers would know how to programme Finale plugins, but they may be able to do Python or Visual Basic or something.

I have tried to find at Google if there was some already free program, but not chance....
Please tell me how to do in EXCEL?????

(Finale 2004, P4, XPPro, Sony)
+There is only one truth+

Post Edited (TheMaster) : 12/12/2005 7:06:03 PM (GMT-6)