Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Latest plug-in development kit  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/9/2006 9:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went to the Finale website, and the copy of the plug-in development kit I found was from 2000. Is this the most recent? Doesn't the kit grow and change as new features are added to Finale?

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 1/11/2006 7:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Me too, just before the New Year: I was rather surprised there'd been no changes whatsoever.

Odd thought: in the Windows Notation forum, there's been a long and argumentative thread about Finale's lack of backward file compatibility between successive versions. The thrust of the comments has been this: in order to add new features, MM have to modify the file format once a year, rendering Finale files unreadable by earlier versions.

But if the plug-in SDK has been constant from 2000 onwards, presumably the data objects it lets you play with are unchanged. Same data, with same function calls, modification options, etc: if this is so, how come each year, they need to be written in a different file format?

Or it simply that the SDK is limited to accessing features that were in Finale 2000, in which case we need a new one!

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/12/2006 4:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Engraver tuplets, for example, are newer than 2000. So, presumably, the plug-in developer can't look at or modify them.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 1/12/2006 6:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Of course they can

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Forza! and Forza! Lite plug-in collections for Finale: http://www.jwmusic.nu/forza/

The Finale Productivity Tips site: http://www.finaletips.nu/

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/13/2006 3:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, that's good to know. Since they must be stored in brand new data structures, I can't imagine how that could be, but I'll download the kit and start playing with it now that I know 2000 is the latest.

Which compiler would you recommend?

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 1/13/2006 5:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
Of course they can

Jari, how can you access new data structures which are not mentioned in the C++ header files or documentation in the SDK?

If it is the case that the same, generic data access functions that worked in Finale 2000 give you access to everything in Finale 2006, then this really strengthens my contention in another forum that the file format should not need to be changed every release of Finale.

At least, not for purely technical reasons... Marketing? Wossat??

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 1/16/2006 8:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ebony Ivory said...
Jari Williamsson said...
Of course they can

Jari, how can you access new data structures which are not mentioned in the C++ header files or documentation in the SDK?

If it is the case that the same, generic data access functions that worked in Finale 2000 give you access to everything in Finale 2006, then this really strengthens my contention in another forum that the file format should not need to be changed every release of Finale.

At least, not for purely technical reasons... Marketing? Wossat??

Brian

Why would an engraver tuplet be a new data structure? It's just new algorithms aimed at manipulating the data that was there before, right? I don't think you can use plug-ins to modify the engraver tuplet algorithm that was new to 2005, but you can still use plug-ins to modify the enigma data that the engraver tuplet algorithms are setting. I don't think there was any new possible appearance for tuplets with 2005 - just better automation. You still could have manually made the tuplets look the same with earlier versions of the app.

As for file format changes, I'm guessing one would have been required for the document option to turn on/off the engraver tuplet feature. (of course there are other things as well) Any time a new type of information is allowed to be saved within the Finale document, the developers have to change the file format.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 1/16/2006 3:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tyler, I think I recall that in another thread (one of those interminable ones about version non-compatibility (could one define a "slippery" topic as the opposite of a sticky - it just immediately slides off the bottom of the page ?)) that you said that the Finale file format is documented. The PDK 2000 documentation has a PDF on the ETF format, but the introduction says:

"The following PRELIMINARY documentation of the Enigma File Format is being provided by
Coda engineering in response to requests from some of our customers.
We solicit your input as to the usefulness of what is provided here, and ask that you specify in
detail the additional documentation of the file format you would require. Coda will use your input
to determine the best course of action concerning the publication of the Enigma file format."

I imagine that if it was preliminary in 2000 (Edit: I see that later in the document it says that it is actually documenting the Finale 97 file format, so it is even worse than I originally thought), then it is pretty incomplete for the present. Do you know of anywhere that I can get more complete info ?

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004 and bug-free 2006, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB

Post Edited (Fritz Meissner) : 1/16/2006 1:38:01 PM (GMT-6)

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 1/17/2006 12:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tyler said...
I don't think there was any new possible appearance for tuplets with 2005 - just better automation.

If you compare the tuplet definition dialog boxes between Fin2004 and Fin2005 you'll notice that there are a couple of new options (such as ratios). And the engraver tuplets also uses a new document setting controlling the maximum slope in degrees.

In general, check out the message archives on the finpdk group on yahoogroups...

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Forza! and Forza! Lite plug-in collections for Finale: http://www.jwmusic.nu/forza/

The Finale Productivity Tips site: http://www.finaletips.nu/