Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Adding instruments to a preexisting score + GPO  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gravydavy87
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gravydavy87AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 6/29/2007 12:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi there,

Sorry if this topic has already been addressed, please just point me to the thread. Here's my situation: I write film scores--and sometimes I need to add a new instrument after I've begun my score. So I go to Add staff, add the new staff with setup wizard, and then I go to the Instrument List and tell it to play back via Midi channel "x". Then I go into the VST virtual rack and add the instrument there, and tell Kontact to play back from the same midi channel. This process sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't...it doesn't work more often than it does.

Can someone please enlighten me as to how to add instruments to a score half-way through and still get them to playback w/ GPO like the rest of the score?

Thanks,

Dave

lorddane
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to lorddaneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 10

Posted 7/10/2007 8:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
you have most of it right, but you're missing an important step. after you add the nwe staff, you have to goto the instrument list then creat a new instrument on a new midi channel, then you assign a sample through the virtual plugin. watch this:

(for flute and clarinet)
this is how it looks right after you add the new instrument

Staff name______Pan__Instrument_____Channel

Flute___________64___Flute__________1
New instrument__64___New instrument__1

click the drop down box under instrument and select "create new instrument"

from there, you give it a name a channel, and is you want a MIDI patch too (if you don't want to use a sample).

so it would look like this afterwards

Staff name______Pan___Instrument____Channel

Flute___________64____Flute_________1
New instrument__64____Clarinet_______2

then after this part is done, close this window and go to the GPO bank and add Clarinet to the second slot and it will correspond with channel 2 in the MIDI system.

Post Edited (lorddane) : 7/10/2007 7:09:15 PM (GMT-5)