Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Export lyrics with guitar chords symbols above?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bstevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bstevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/1/2007 2:43 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone,

Sibelius exports lyric texts. Why not Finale???
What I need to do is export the lyrics with the guitar chord symbols above it and placed correctly. Should be simple enough!
Any one have a solution? Any one developing a suitable plugin???

Bevis

File Attachment :
Lyrics with chords-example.pdf   22KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 368 time(s).

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 9/1/2007 1:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi Bevis,

What program are you exporting to? You are correct that Finale's MIDI export does not export lyrics while Sibelius does. But for most applications, you can do a much better job by using MusicXML export (File > MusicXML > Export) rather than MIDI export. Finale 2008 and/or our Dolet 4 for Finale plug-in do a better job on chord symbol positioning than previous versions.

To see what applications can read MusicXML files, look at our implementation chart at:

http://www.recordare.com/xml/software.html

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 9/1/2007 6:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Starting with 2005 (and maybe earlier), Finale has had a lyrics and chords template located in the General templates. Perhaps this would work for you. I've never used it, so I can't tell you anything else about it.

Jim Coull

bstevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bstevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/2/2007 3:54 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the replies,

Michael,
I do not think your solution will help me, but I will look into it a bit more later on.

Jim,
Your answer is getting me along the right track. I am working on a project with two formats:
1. Music, lyrics and chords
2. Just lyrics and chords
The best solution would be to have 2. as a 'part' to 1. so that they are linked and changes can be universal. if I could use the lyrics and chords template as a template for the part, this would be the best solution. But this doesn't seem to be possible. Or am I missing something?

(I am using Finale 2007)

Bevis

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/2/2007 8:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bevis,
It's a little convoluted, but try this:
Start with a soprano staff and a piano staff.
Enter the music into the piano staff. Fill the soprano staff with rests, and enter lyrics and chords into the soprano staff. Select the soprano staff and apply staff style Lyrics and Chords Only. When you want to have your situation 2, delete the piano staff.

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2006 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."