Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New Beta plug-in: JW Change v0.27  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
168 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 1/30/2012 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JW Change, beta version 0.10 is now available for download. It contains the following new things:
* Filter "First in Measure" changed in functionality. New name: "Measure/Region Start"
* Added filter "Beamed End"
* Changed beaming of entries/rests to 4 different options. It can now break beams before and after entry.
* The old function "Rests/Float" is replaced with "Rests/Position Style". Currently contains 9 different vertical positioning styles.

For this specific beta version, I would like some tester's comments on the "Rests/Position Style" feature, specifically the 7 bottom choices in the list. Do you miss some positioning style for rests? Other comments on this?

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 1/27/2012 4:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, OK, fair enough. And you're right that your work should be over and above the existing features, not replacements.

The bug is that the actual chord symbols change when you change the font! Not sure how your articulation idea would improve matters.

Once again, I want to say how much your work has change my life! smilewinkgrin

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.2
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/27/2012 2:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Jari, can you change the font of chord suffixes with this? The Method to do so in Finale is broken, and corrupts chords! If your PI handled this properly, it would be an absolute life saver!

If I would implement it, it would work on the region (which might result in additional chord suffix definitions). However, if so I would implement it for the functionality, not for fixing Finale bugs. Bug fixing has to be done by MM.

Without having tried Finale's version (and the bug you're mentioning), you maybe could work around the bug by adding an articulation definition first that uses the font you want to change to?

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 1/26/2012 10:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari, can you change the font of chord suffixes with this? The Method to do so in Finale is broken, and corrupts chords! If your PI handled this properly, it would be an absolute life saver!

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.2
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/25/2012 5:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beta version 0.09 of the JW Change plug-in is now available for download. Lots of new things for chord symbols/fretboards editing.

Here's the list of changes:
* Filter for chords and fretboard: "All Chords", "Capo", "Visible", "Vertically Moved", "Horizontally Moved", "On Entry", "On Note", "Start of Measure".
* Window resizing and position now stick when the window is reopened
* Window can now be resized slightly to the right as well (to widen the list on the left)
* Some speed optimizations related to stems and beams editing
* Up/Down arrow buttons now work on the Mac
* "Chord Symbols/Root Visibility" added
* "Chord Symbols/Root Playback" added
* "Chord Symbols/Root Lowercase" added
* "Chord Symbols/Suffix Visibility" added
* "Chord Symbols/Suffix Playback" added
* "Chord Symbols/Alternate Bass Visibility" added
* "Chord Symbols/Alternate Bass Playback" added
* "Chord Symbols/Alternate Bass Lowercase" added
* "Chord Symbols/Alternate Bass Placement" added
* "Chord Symbols/Transpose Up" added
* "Chord Symbols/Transpose Down" added
* "Fretboards/Playback" added
* "Fretboards/Use Font" added

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/23/2012 10:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Version 0.08 of JW Change is now available. Please test the new vertical window resize feature thoroughly and report back to me if there are any UI problems or suggestions.
New stuff in this beta are:
* Vertical resize of the main window (does not stick after closing the window at this point)
* Accidentals editing functionality (in the "Accidentals" container) is now available (including accidental filters)
* New layer filters: Layers 2+3, Layers 3+4
* New entry filters: On quarter/8th/16th beats, and on Even-numbered entries
* New tuplet shapes: "Always Show" and "Non-broken" are available in combinations with bracket/slur
* Hidden noteheads (and accidentals) are now hidden by using the hidden font style (rather than changing the notehead/accidental shape)

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/21/2012 6:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beta version 0.07 of JW Change is now available for download (in the "Beta Versions" section on the tips site). Updates in this beta are:
* New options for Noteheads/Set Shape: "Hollow (Whole Note)", "Hollow Diamond (Rhythmic Notation)", "Double Whole Note Diamond"
* Redesigned and rearranged the filter options
* "Beamed Start" filter now works
* Additional entry filters: First/last in measure, before/after a rest, before/after a note, In Tuplet
* Layers as an individual filter: "Visible Layers", "All Layers", Individual layers, layers in pairs. In combination with the "Opposite" option, any layer editing combination(s) can be achieved.
* "Notehead/Font" is now hooked up
* "Notehead/Font Size" added
* "Notehead/Clear Font" added

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/21/2012 3:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Think you can add Multimeasure Rests to this plugin? I'm thinking of a quicker way to shorten the multimeasure rest shape (and possibly overall width) when a clef change (or cue) appears at the end of it, just before the barline. Going in and out of the context menu when editing parts is annoying.

I try to keep JW Change to handle "musical" contents. I might do another plug-in later on with layout stuff, that would include MM rest editing.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 1/21/2012 11:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari,
Think you can add Multimeasure Rests to this plugin? I'm thinking of a quicker way to shorten the multimeasure rest shape (and possibly overall width) when a clef change (or cue) appears at the end of it, just before the barline. Going in and out of the context menu when editing parts is annoying.

Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012, Core i7 [email protected], 6GB Ram
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/20/2012 4:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
here's a step-by-step on how I notate a harp gliss with your plugin (it used to take forever to do each one, using the Special Tools).

Nice! And when the Sequence Editor is in place, you'll be able to do all these steps as one single step.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 1/20/2012 12:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
here's a step-by-step on how I notate a harp gliss with your plugin (it used to take forever to do each one, using the Special Tools).

File Attachment :
Jari_plugin_harp_notation.pdf   19KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 435 time(s).

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/19/2012 6:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
Sometimes, however, it would be nice to have an augmentation dot that's purely graphical (and won't confuse HumanPlayback with a staccato mark!) and that is correctly placed and sized.

Ok Mike, I've now edited my forums settings a bit. ;-)

I'll add this idea to my list and see if I can get it to fit somewhere. This idea might have to be put in some other plug-in.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 1/19/2012 5:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know if you can see my messages here, but...

Thank-you Jari, this plugin is essential to any heavy Finale user.

I hope at some point that MakeMusic considers making it a default inclusion with every Finale release.

To anyone writing harp parts that make heavy use of glissandi, this plugin is pure heaven.
It used to take a lot of in and out of various tools (particularly the Special Tools) to get the write glissando notation, now, with this plugin, it's almost entirely within a single plugin.

The only thing missing now is an easy way of getting an augmentation dot that is "non functional".

When writing glisses, I make a 7-tuplet of 16th or 32nd notes, hide beam, make the 6 last notes 75%, hide their stems, and change the 1st notehead to whatever value I need (half note, whole note, quarter note.

Sometimes, however, it would be nice to have an augmentation dot that's purely graphical (and won't confuse HumanPlayback with a staccato mark!) and that is correctly placed and sized.

Post Edited (Michel R. E.) : 1/19/2012 4:47:01 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
harp_glissando_pic.jpg
  40KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 2786 time(s).

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/19/2012 4:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beta version 0.06 of JW Change is now available for download (in the "Beta Versions" section on the tips site). Updates in this beta are:
* Objects moved off the page are now managed through "Presence" instead of "Visibility"
* Dot/Visibility renamed to Dot/Presence
* 'Beats' entry filter now works (only for non-composit time sigs at the moment)
* Stems functionality is now enabled
* Rests/Beaming added
* Rests/Presence added
* Rests/Float added
* Rests/Displacement added
* Augmentation Dots/Move now works

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/18/2012 12:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
I expected to see an option for moving rest vertically under RESTS/Move and was disappointed that it wasn't there. sad

That's covered by the "for example the editing support for rests/chords/fretboards are pretty basic in this beta." statement. :-)

I'll try to include more rest features in the next beta.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 1/16/2012 5:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I expected to see an option for moving rest vertically under RESTS/Move and was disappointed that it wasn't there.sad

The plugin that comes with Finale for this chore is not modeless and can be a pain when working on dozens of cues. It would be nice if it were in JW Change (if not just to make the Rest/move feature seem more complete). Also, layer/voice selection options would make using JW Change faster (I know, I can select "show only active layer" when I want to run a command on any one layer but a few checkboxes within the plugin would be quicker, allow me to immediately see how my changes look next to the unprocessed layers and allow me to run the process on 2 or 3 layers at a time.)

Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012, Core i7 [email protected], 6GB Ram
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 1/10/2012 8:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
this will probably be my favourite plugin of all once it's completed.
thank-you Jari.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2011b
currently installed: 2010, 2011b
GPO 4, Garritan J&BB 3, CoMBand, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Steinway Basic, Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Win XP

join us on
Compose Forums

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 1/8/2012 5:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The first beta version (v0.05) of the JW Change plug-in is now available for public testing. It's available for download at a new area for beta versions at the Finale tips site: Downloads area, Plug-ins section, Beta Versions subsection at www.finaletips.nu

Providing beta versions on the tips site is a new test for me. I think it's a good thing to do for this particular plug-in, because it's so extensive compared to the other plug-ins I've done. (If everything goes well, I might provide beta versions of other future plug-ins.)

If you test/use the plug-in, please report all strange things you encounter. I know there are some bugs regarding the use of filters, but please report those bugs anyway. I would also like to know if you miss any feature - for example the editing support for rests/chords/fretboards are pretty basic in this beta.

You can send the reports by replying directly here in this thread (or use the FB group) - or send/e-mail a report to me privately.

In this beta, functions for editing stems, ties, accidentals, articulations and expressions are not included.

The following list of functions are implemented in beta v.0.05:

NOTE ENTRIES
* Resize
* Show/Hide
* Clear Manual Positioning
* Move
* Beam/Unbeam
* Slash/Don't slash Grace Note (including check that "Always Slash Grace Notes" isn't checked in the Document Options)
* Ledger lines ON/OFF
* Music Spacing ON/OFF
* Playback or Mute
* To Rest/Note

NOTEHEADS
* Resize
* Show/Hide
* Move
* Set Shape (X Notehead, Small Slash, Large Slash, Filled, Hollow, Filled Diamond, Hollow Diamond)
* Clear custom notehead and notehead font
* AlphaNotes (Standard and Northern European). Only Sounding Pitch work in v 0.05.
* Transpose Up
* Transpose Down
* Single Pitch. Only Sounding Pitch work in v 0.05.

RESTS
* Resize
* Show/Hide
* Move

BEAMS
* Resize
* Show/Hide
* Flat Beams ON/OFF
* Resize Separation
* Feathered (accelerando/ritardando)

AUGMENTATION DOTS
* Show/Hide
* Move
* Resize inter-dot space (relative to the document's default settings)

TUPLETS
* Show/Hide
* Move
* Reset to tuplet defaults
* Flip
* Placement
* Number Style
* Shape Type
* Always Flat ON/OFF
* Avoid Staff ON/OFF
* Bracket Full duration ON/OFF

CHORDS
* Resize
* Show/Hide
* Move

FRETBOARDS
* Resize
* Show/Hide
* Move

Happy testing!

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Post Edited (Jari Williamsson) : 11/4/2013 6:52:15 PM (GMT-6)