Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How do I convert ALL Lyrics to ALL CAPS?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rpmseattleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 419

Posted 9/1/2008 1:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a choral piece that is in Latin and I have been asked by the director to put the lyrics in all caps. Surely there must be a way to do this in Finalescript globally rather than having to address individual words or syllables? This feature would also be useful for being able to change the names of all instruments in the parts to all caps for certain charts, or to change all techniques and expressions to lower case in one shot.

Also, please note. I am currently in Finale 2008, but if this is available in Finale 2009 I'll upgrade today.

any help appreciated.

-robert

rpmseattle | powermac G5 | dual 2.5Ghz | 3.5gb RAM | OSX 10.4.11 | www.musicprep.com/coda

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 9/1/2008 1:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here's a method that's just worked for me (Finale 2005b)

1) Go to Edit Lyrics (in the Lyrics tool)

2) Select ALL

3) Perform COPY

4) Start Notepad (the Windows editor, not Finale's little sister)

5) Perform PASTE

6) Save as a FOO.TXT

7) Convert FOO.TXT to upper case as BAR.TXT, using an appropriate filter or applet

8) open BAR.TXT

9) Select ALL

10) Perform COPY

11) Return to Finale Lyric Editor (where everything is still selected)

12) Perform PASTE

Job Done! It's actually much quicker in reality than the above 12 steps suggest, although it obviously assumes you have access to some uppercase conversion filter.

Brian

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rpmseattleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 9/1/2008 1:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Brian

Thanks for the suggestion. I had actually thought about doing this in a similar roundabout way using Music XML, converting to Sibelius, using the Change Case Plugin in Sibelius 5 and then converting the file back to Finale. I've attached a screen shot of the Sibelius plugin, which allows you to change any specific type of text (e.g. lyrics) to all caps, all lower case, or word initial caps. This will work great, but of course, it also involves a number of steps.

Obviously as fast and elegant as Finale script is, I was hoping for a more integrated (e.g. 1-step) solution.

Also, I'm on the Mac. Trying to think of a text application that would allow me to try your solution. You mentioned an applet - perhaps this is something that you know how to program? I would have no idea how to generate an applet to do this. Surely a robust text editor like BBEDIT would allow me to try this, but I don't think Word has this capability (perhaps it does, but I'd consider myself a novice Word user)

-robert

rpmseattle | powermac G5 | dual 2.5Ghz | 3.5gb RAM | OSX 10.4.11 | www.musicprep.com/coda

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Picture 1.jpg
  63KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 502 time(s).

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/1/2008 1:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Robert, do any of your Mac text editors or word processors support uppercase conversion? If so, you can do a shortened, simplified version of what I suggested, such as:

1) Go to Edit Lyrics (in the Lyrics tool)

2) Select ALL

3) Perform COPY

4) Start your editor/word processor

5) Perform PASTE

6) Select ALL

7) Convert to Upper Case

8) Perform COPY

9) Return to Finale Lyric Editor (where everything is still selected)

10) Perform PASTE

Brian

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 9/1/2008 1:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Brian - not sure about that. As I mentioned, I use Word (and also Appleworks) - neither of which, as far as I know support upper case conversion (although as I said, I may be wrong about Word since I don't use it for anything other than very basic tasks.

I do like the simplicity of simply replacing the lyrics in the lyric editor while they are still selected. I've never tried it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work (as long as no new hyphens or syllables were added, etc)

Are you saying definitively that there is no way to use Finalescript to do global text case conversion in the manner I am after?

I've sent an email to Robert Piechard about this - hopefully, it is already something that is possible with the new improved Finalescript in 2009.

- robert

Post Edited (rpmseattle) : 9/1/2008 4:46:38 PM (GMT-5)

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/1/2008 5:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robert -
Use TextWrangler. Free download. An excellent text editor on the Mac, and useful for all sorts of other things, too.

Then just copy and paste the text from the Edit Lyrics window into TW
Click on Text > Change Case...

Then copy and paste the text back, as Brian's method.

www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

However, I would question the choral director's motives. Upper case is generally not as legible as lower case**. Change the font to something with a larger body, perhaps.

** There's an old story about the first computer terminals and dot matrix printers. They were designed to have only one case, and the engineers determined that lower case was more legible, and so that was chosen. Then the CEO of the company declared that it would be wrong to spell "God" with all lower case. So they chose upper case......

Finale 2009, 2Ghz iMac, OS X 10.5.4, M-Audio Audiophile USB
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

"It's not a perfect world. But I've lost the receipt."

Post Edited (Wiggy) : 9/1/2008 4:29:06 PM (GMT-5)

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/2/2008 4:53 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
rpmseattle said...

I do like the simplicity of simply replacing the lyrics in the lyric editor while they are still selected. I've never tried it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work (as long as no new hyphens or syllables were added, etc)

Are you saying definitively that there is no way to use Finalescript to do global text case conversion in the manner I am after?
Provided the same number of syllables (as delimited by hyphens and spaces) go into the Lyric Editor window as were there previously, all the assignments of words to notes will remain correct. So far as I can tell, lyrics are assigned to scores by simply placing offset pointers in the notation data back to some string array or linked list, not the other way round. That's how come you can assign the same piece of text (in the editor) to several different parts of your notation, and then simply change, say, the single spelling of one word, and all instances in the score are corrected at once.

So certainly, the exact in-situ replacement of the entire Lyric Editor text with its uppercase version works reliably, at least in Finale 2005b ...

As for whether Finalescript can help, that's something Robert P. will be better able to tell you.

Brian

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/2/2008 5:11 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...

declared that it would be wrong to spell "God" with all lower case. So they chose upper case......
Spelling of important names is still an issue today. My laptop Vista 32 installation was irrevocably damaged a couple of months ago, so much so I ended up reformatting the entire C: drive and re-installing it from scratch. The problem was caused by a 57Mb "Important Windows Update" from Micro$oft, which somehow failed to download correctly, and left everything in a mess. I couldn't reapply the update, or remove it, and it stopped me from being able to use the system properly.

While Vista was re-installing, I checked Microsoft's website on my Vista 64 box, to find out what this enormous download was all about. It turned out to be an update for Window's spelling dictionary: and the fix? ...

... People had been complaining that the word, "Obama", was being flagged as a spelling error, alongside 4 other names I'd never heard of (Friendster, Klum, Nazr and Racicot)!

Brian

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 9/2/2008 12:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
rpmseattle said...
Hi Brian - not sure about that. As I mentioned, I use Word (and also Appleworks) - neither of which, as far as I know support upper case conversion (although as I said, I may be wrong about Word since I don't use it for anything other than very basic tasks.
In Windows (I can only assume on the MAC), using MS Word got to Format/Change Case, select UPPERCASE, click OK.

Ken

Windows XP, Finale 2008a, Pentium 4, 3GHz, 2GB Ram
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 9/2/2008 12:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
In Windows (I can only assume on the MAC), using MS Word got to Format/Change Case, select UPPERCASE, click OK.
Ken

Hi Ken - yes, that's it - works in Word on Mac. I'll give Brian's paste/replace idea a try. thanks, all!

PS - Robert P., I'd still be interested in doing this all from within Finalescript if only to save a few steps. thank you!

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 9/2/2008 4:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robert,

If you see a need to do this a lot, use a font editor to make a duplicate version of your font with caps only. Then Finalescript can easily swap one font for the other.

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/2/2008 7:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd have thought that typing in capitals (if starting a new score) or simply using Word or an external applet to convert to uppercase, is way easier than creating, installing and distributing a new, custom font!

Apart from local printing, you'd also have to ship the font in any PDF, EPS or other vector files, as well as with any MUS files you sent to colleagues, who in turn would have to install the font before being able to see your score.

Brian

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/3/2008 7:09 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Once again, I'd recommend TextWrangler or other Text Editor, rather than a word processor such as Word.

My experience of cutting and pasting from Word is that it puts in all sorts of strange white space characters between words.

Finale 2009, 2Ghz iMac, OS X 10.5.4, M-Audio Audiophile USB
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

"It's not a perfect world. But I've lost the receipt."

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 9/3/2008 11:27 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robert,

It was easier than I thought in Finalescript. Here's my script from Finale 2009:

search lyrics "a" replace "A"
search lyrics "b" replace "B"
search lyrics "c" replace "C"

(add an individual line for each letter in the alphabet and you're set.)

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 9/3/2008 12:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jetcopy said...
Robert,

It was easier than I thought in Finalescript. Here's my script from Finale 2009:

(add an individual line for each letter in the alphabet and you're set.)

JT

That's a clever solution, JT. I'll give it a try. So, the variable "case" never has to be used?

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/3/2008 1:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tee Hee! That would be fun with a mixed language, Unicode based script! But then, of course, Finale doesn't speak Unicode ... :-)

Actually, FWIW, you might need to be careful in a non-Unicode environment: if you're using fonts from different code pages to handle non-English languages, your script might make some unwanted changes.

Brian

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 9/3/2008 3:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I tried this solution, and I now have a question.

Is it possible to run this script on a selected area (e.g. 24 bars of 1 staff)? This looks for all the lyrics in this piece, apparently searching bar by bar in staves that are not vocal staves as well. I could see it working but I decided to force quit Finale after about 15 minutes or so. e.g. it doesn't seem to be going into the Lyric editor itself to search for the individual letters there, which strikes me would be a lot faster.

Not only that, it goes all the way through the piece searching for "a" then goes back to the beginning and searches for "b" from beginning to end.

The piece I am in is full orchestra and choir, 326 bars, so the conversion is glacial.

thanks

robert

ps: just in case I've missed something, here is the entire text of the script I created:

// LYRICS ALL CAPS 080903

// start
process current doc

search lyrics "d" replace "D"
search lyrics "e" replace "E"
search lyrics "f" replace "F"
search lyrics "g" replace "G"
search lyrics "h" replace "H"
search lyrics "i" replace "I"
search lyrics "j" replace "J"
search lyrics "k" replace "K"
search lyrics "l" replace "L"
search lyrics "m" replace "M"
search lyrics "n" replace "N"
search lyrics "o" replace "O"
search lyrics "p" replace "P"
search lyrics "q" replace "Q"
search lyrics "r" replace "R"
search lyrics "s" replace "S"
search lyrics "t" replace "T"
search lyrics "u" replace "U"
search lyrics "v" replace "V"
search lyrics "w" replace "W"
search lyrics "x" replace "X"
search lyrics "y" replace "Y"
search lyrics "z" replace "Z"

// end script

Post Edited (rpmseattle) : 9/3/2008 2:25:23 PM (GMT-5)