Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > finding a way  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bigbandbuff
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bigbandbuffAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 4/5/2009 8:45 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello to all! This is my "MakeMusic" story: 

I'm new here and not a very serious contributor, relatively speaking. A few years ago I wrote a novelty tune entitled "Wait'll Next Year". I scribbled it out with pen and ink, copyrighted it, then put it "in the closet" so to speak. Did nothing with it, in other words.

I conceived the song after years of watching the Minnesota Golden Gopher football team field inept squads year after year, all the while consistently promoting the next year-to- come as a potential win-loss breakthrough.

Then, recently while watching the NCAA basketball tourney, I started thinking about that tune.  I had found MakeMusic by that time and was amidst the work of putting the tune in a more presentable form when I heard Brent Mussburger, TV sports guy, say "Wait 'til next year" about a team that had just lost their game. To me, that was confirmation enough! 

I had looked, via Google, for any programs available for putting it on paper. I had heard from friends that such existed but I'd never looked into it because there are so many creative people who write songs.  Seems to me that the late Steve Allen was said to have composed more than a thousand songs.
I decided to take a shot at it, anyway.
Viola! I came across MakeMusic, tried it, found it fascinating and easy, then put the tune on paper - words and notes - first via Finale Notepad, then as an upgrade to Print Music. I'm working on a second song now. I got increasingly excited over the possibilities.

My objective has been to get the tune to an agent or publishing company that might get it to the market place, knowing up front that the likelihood of success is pretty limited. 

Following a 'normal' course, I went back to Google and looked around. I stumbled across 'song contests'. Then I saw the Paramount Group, International website. The graphic presentation looked strong. Nicely laid out, prominent performing artist name droppings, etc.
I finished work on the tune and sent Paramount the $20 'enrollment fee' for a contest scheduled to begin April 1, 2009.
On April 3rd I got Paramount Group's reply. The letter was dated March 31st - the first of several red flags. (The 'contest' wasn't scheduled to begin until April First). "Congratulations! You've already won the Director's Award and are now in consideration for the Grand Prize and First Prize Awards". See contract below.
A bit farther down the page I read the list of fees and charges for the services of  musicians along with the costs for recording studio services. The lowest of the recording fees is $189. The range rises to $489 for a vocalist and seven piece band. A 5% royalty fee is charged on sales. 
I didn't find those dollar amounts outrageous, having played trumpet professionally in groups ranging from trios and quartets to twelve piece dance bands. 
The phrase "return the contract ASAP" raised a red flag, but I still was not overly alarmed. In total there are five or six 'scam indicators' in the letter. Enough to cause "caution".  

Thankfully, Google is to curiosity as Webster's is to spelling.

A little research via Google showed that Paramount Group, International's services have been purchased by many and found lacking by at least a few. I put the Paramount file on hold. I have since found others of a comparable style.

My question: Is there a way to get one single novelty tune to a recognized performer wthout going through all this nonsense? 

I won't be shocked if it's a moot point in the opinion of readers here, in view of what I've written here, but I'm open for suggestions, if any exist.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 4/6/2009 8:58 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear bigbandbuff

Welcome to the forum. You've posted in the area for discussing Finalescript, the automation language that comes in Finale, so the forum moderators are liable to lock this thread. You'll get more of a discussion in one of the Notation forums, either for Mac or PC.

Your best course of action is to send your work to the agent (i.e. artists management) of any performers whom you think might be interested/suitable.

Finale 2009b, 2Ghz iMac, OS X 10.5.6, M-Audio Audiophile USB
M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 4/6/2009 10:47 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, you have posted to the wrong forum, but it's a really nice story. There is nothing like the artistic creative process to feed the soul, and get you excited about life.

I might say though, that you do need a demo recording if you are going to shop it around.

Less than $500.00 sounds pretty darn reasonable to me for a vocalist and seven piece band, but my circle consists mostly of NYC pros.

I would just hire a recording studio for an hour, get a pianist friend, and sing it yourself, or have a friend do that too.

Ron

Ron Wasserman
F2007, F2009 user since 2000
Desktop: Athlon 64X2, 1918 mb ram, XP Media Center keyboard midi to edirol to usb
Laptop: Celeron, 480 mb ram, XP home keyboard direct to usb. (not enough memory for 2009)

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

"Music: incredibly easy to understand on a basic level, but profoundly difficult to speak with any fluency."
Ron Wasserman

Post Edited (Ron Wasserman) : 4/6/2009 11:02:41 AM (GMT-5)

bigbandbuff
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bigbandbuffAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 4/6/2009 3:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to Wiggy and Ron Wasserman for the replies to my post. Sorry that I put it in the wrong spot. Thanks for directing me to the right forum. I guess I'll look arround for an agent who reps. a whiny country singer, like old Willie Nelson? That's the sound I think my tune needs. Sort of a mixture of apologetic, sympathetic and encouragement in the same voice.

I didn't find the prices quoted by Paramount to be that outrageous, but the commentary I
read via Google included several uses of the word "Shark".

Thanks again.

Gerald A. "jerry" Rogers