Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Uninstalling & Re-Installing Finale to Regain Lost or Corrupted FINALESCRIPT Files  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 6/26/2009 10:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I originally posted this on the Windows Forum but the Administrator locked the topic because he/she considered it more a Finalescript issue than a Finale application issue.  I don't agree but I'm re-posting it here just the same.

I'm using Finale 2009b on a PC with Windows XP Media Center & having trouble with Finalescript.  I am quite sure I do not have some of the files containing sample scripts in the proper folder.  That's because I see references in the documentation to certain scripts that do not appear when I open the Finalescript dialog box.

I'm considering uninstalling Finale & reinstalling to hopefully correct this problem.  But it makes me extremely nervous!  As a very heavy user of Finalescript with literally hundreds of scripts that took hundreds of hours to create, it would be a disaster if anything got screwed up in the process.

I have the Finale CD but am not sure where the sample script files are, what they are called and whether only they can be reinstalled without creating a further problem.  If I take the radical route, what must I watch out for?

Graeme Gilmore
Registered Member

Click to send Graeme Gilmore email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Graeme GilmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 371

Posted 6/27/2009 8:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know if it will help, but usually you can do a custom reinstall from the disk and select only the Plug-ins, for example. This should put back in all the scripts that came out of the box.

Graeme

Finale 2010.r, Windows Vista Home Primium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins.

s.n.e.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit s.n.e.'s website.Send a Private Message to s.n.e.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2002
Total Posts : 119

Posted 6/28/2009 9:56 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The scripts should be located in a folder called "Finalescript" located in C:\<Program Files>\Finale 2009\Component Files

Soren

Fin2008a, WinXP

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 7/1/2009 6:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

All I will add (apart from agreeing with you that your original thread should not have been locked!) is that make sure you to a full backup before something as radical as an uninstall/install cycle, so that if things do go pear-shaped, you can return to your previous setup.

Brian

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/8/2009 12:16 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I did a reinstall just of the FS sample scripts.  It turns out that at some point some things did get corrupted.  Sadly, the process did not help fix what has to be a bug.  The following scripts do not work:

Search [Arial] 5, Replace [Arial] 6

Search [Arial] 5 Plain, Replace [Arial] 6

Search [Arial] 5 Regular, Replace [Arial] 6

Search [Arial] 5, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 5 Plain, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 5 Regular, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 6, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 6 Plain, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 6 Regular, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

I thought syntax may have been the problem so I described the font to search as just [Arial], as well as [Arial] Plain and [Arial] Regular and tried to replace any such instances with [Arial] Italic.  The only characters in the files with Arial font are "special characters" in the lyrics -- "curly" quotes (single and double, left and right) and "hard spaces."  (Bear with me!)  In the lyrics, the words are in Palatino Linotype 16.  Left single quotes are the character alt+0145, right single quotes are alt+0146, left quotes are alt+0147 and right quotes are alt+0148.  Palatino treats all of them as straight quotes, whereas Arial correctly shows them in the proper left-right orientation and curly appearance, especially in italic.  But in many of the original files I'm working with, these characters are in several different sizes and either regular or italic style.  My scripts are intended to make all the special characters consistently Arial Italic.  The one complicating factor is that in order to correctly space a left quote in Arial italic followed by a letter in Palatino regular it was necessary to insert a hard space (alt+0160) and make the font Arial 6 italic.  Therefore, the scripts above (showing just part of the full code) should find any characters in Arial 5 or 6, regular or italic, and replace them with Arial 6 italic.  But that doesn't happen.  After extensive experimentation, I created the following unorthodox script to accomplish the required task:

Search "‘" Replace "KKLL"

Search "’" Replace "PPOO"

Search "KKLL" Replace "‘" [Arial] Italic 16

Search "PPOO" Replace "’" [Arial] Italic 16

Search "“ " Replace "RRR" [Arial] 16 Italic

Search "RRR" Replace "“LLL"

Search "LLL" Replace " " [Arial] Italic 6

Search "”" Replace "MMM"

Search "MMM" Replace "JJJ" [Arial] 26 Italic

Search "JJJ" Replace "”" [Arial] 16 Italic

Search "‘" Replace "’'" [Arial] 16 Italic

For some unknown reason, it takes a bunch of steps like this for FS to do what it should in strightforward commands like:

Search [Arial] 6, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 15, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Search [Arial] 16, Replace [Arial] 6 Italic

Instead, I had to specify the characters to search for and then replace them with "dummy" text like KKLL and then replace that with the desired text.  Why should this be?  Any ideas?

Randy

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 7/11/2009 11:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HI Randy,

scripts like:

...have never worked for me. I've always had to place a set of normal quotes which cointain the element I'm searching for. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

This one would work:
Search "" [Arial] 5, Replace "" [Arial] 6 Italic

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/12/2009 1:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

JT,

Thank you very much.  It works to just have the quotes with nothing between them.  This has now saved me a great deal of time, as I can batch process many files quickly.

It also helped me solve a finnicky problem with the word "LORD" (all caps).  Whenever it appears like this the "ORD" is supposed to be a smaller font than the "L" (like "LORD").  This can happen in two places on the hymns and the fonts sizes are totally different in each.  So I replace "LORD" with "Lyyy", fix the font for the "L" and then replace the "yyy" with "ORD" in the correct font.  It's a roundabout way, but I couldn't come up with a better alternative.

Randy