Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > script to open,export file and keep original name and process all files in folder  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

meneeermalik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to meneeermalikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2009
Total Posts : 19

Posted 11/25/2009 9:13 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone. I'm trying to get script that will open an xml file and save it as .mus and keep the original name of the file and process all the files that are in the folder. I have thousands to process and doing it one at a time would be a bit time consuming.

This is what I have so far that works.

menu item "Import"
type "XMLfilename" in "Filename:"
click "open"
save as mus
type "newfilename for musfile"
click "save"
menu item "close"

This works perfectly but the drawback is that I need to type in the file name which would be more time consuming than manually converting the files myself. I've tried a lot of different things went through the Finalescript manual and havent been able to make a go at it. Any thoughts? I know Dolet does exactly this but I don't have the $200 to shell out for a somewhat one time use.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 11/25/2009 12:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you have "thousands" of files to convert, it's hardly a one-time use. You have to be the judge, but how much time will the full Dolet save you? And what is your time worth?

I purchased the Dolet initially for a single project, but found that I've used it extensively over the years. It was well worth the price for me.

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

meneeermalik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to meneeermalikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2009

Posted 11/25/2009 12:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well at the moment it's a one time project that I need to finish soon. So let me put this another way. I don't have the money meaning I have $0.00 to spare at the moment and most likely wont have money for anything other than bills, rent and food until January.

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 12/5/2009 1:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi,

I open files in previous versions of Finale & use a script to rename them as one step in a larger overall process.  The script below might work for you with adaptation.  The code was developed through trial & error but takes the latter portion of the existing file name & replaces it with a new portion.  Everything prior to the replaced section remains the same.  As an example, when I open a file called "182 - God's Message - 2007-10-28 - Finale 2009b.mus", the script starts at the end of the filename (which is important as the entire name is highlighted when you do "save as"), then goes backward to where "7" appears, then erases from there onward, then enters the new text ONE CHARACTER AT A TIME, then saves with the "enter" command.  The result of this script is the new filename "182 - God's Message - 2009-12-03 - Original".  Note that you cannot enter the whole text in one command.  It must be done one character at a time for some unknown reason.

Save as

end key

Press Shift + Ctrl + Left Arrow 5

Left arrow 2

delete key 26

press "9"

press "-"

press "1"

press "2"

press "-"

press "0"

press "3"

press " "

press "-"

press " "

press "0"

press " "

press shift "O"

press "r"

press "i"

press "g"

press "i"

press "n"

press "a"

press "l"

enter

I hope you can make something from this example work for you.  Let me know!

Randy

(UCG Musician)

meneeermalik
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2009

Posted 12/7/2009 11:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a friend that made a very simple script to open "filename.xml" and save as mus "filename". The first draw back was that you had to write a script for each song but he's using a prolog to automatically write a script from an index of all the songs in a particular folder. It works great.