Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Unable to get the Text Blocks attribute for text search and replace to work  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rpmseattleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 419

Posted 12/6/2009 4:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Randy. Yes, I've been able to do these other things you mention.

I can't use specific search / replace for what I am trying to do here. This is to have a general script to convert *any* file to my house style without having expression text get changed to what my page text style is.

I do have specific lines in the scripts I use to change common techniques such as arco to lower case in a particular font and style (of course, this only changes them if they are not already assigned to a category - not having a way to copy the category definitions from one document to another is another problem).

Up until Finale 2010 my method for header text was to have a template file with wildcard text using the proper font, size and placement, and I used TGTOOLS to copy this to my destination document, but you may be aware that Finale 2010 breaks a number of TGTOOLS plugins, so until this is fixed, I've been looking for other solutions.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

robert

Finale 2010, 2009 | Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon | OSX 10.5.8
www.musicprep.com/coda

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 12/6/2009 12:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Robert,

I have been unable to script text search & replace just in text boxes, even though the documentation says it should work.  However, I have used a large number of TSRs that seem to accomplish what you're trying to do.  If you have a pre-existing text box that you want to edit & you know in advance what's in it, FS can search for the content & then act upon it.  If you want to take an existing text box & position it, FS can also do that, after it's selected.  A third option, which became extremely useful to me, is to use FS to create the text box (content) AND position it where desired.

Since I don't know the specifics of your situation, I'm unsure which will work best.  An example that may help is:

Search "" [Times New Roman] Italic 15, Replace "" [Palatino Linotype] Italic 19

This script replaces all items in Times New Roman Italic 15 with Palatino Linotype Italic 19.  Since my documents have unique fonts for almost everything, this works for most cases.  However, sometimes I must define the TSR function better.  In files I work with a lot (Church hymns), the word "chorus" can appear in various instances.  One is as the chorus of a hymn, which is in a text box with a specific font & all capital letters.  Another is in a text box footer in a different font in all small letters.  A third is in lyrics.  This script searches the font as well as the case:

Search "CHORUS" Match Case, replace "CCC"

Search "CCC" replace "CHORUS" Italic 11

This takes care of the first instance.  It had to be a 2-part script because "chorus" occasionally appears in lyrics with the same font.  By matching the case, it only replaced "CHORUS" (with "CCC"), not "chorus" or "Chorus".  Since "CCC" would never appear in text boxes, lyrics, staff names, etc., the 2nd TSR always replaces "CCC" with "CHORUS" in Italic 11.  The font style did not need to change.

The second instance is done through the following script:

Search "" [Palatino Linotype] italic 9, replace "" 10

This is a simple TSR & all that is needed to change fonts on "chorus" & everything else in the footer text box.  The third instance is handled in the same manner as the second, with only the font changes:

Search "" [Palatino Linotype], regular 15 replace "" 16

This changes "chorus" & everything else in lyrics to a different font.

If you need further assistance or think that the technique to create a text box from scratch would be helpful, please let me know.

Randy

(UCG Musician)

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rpmseattleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 11/28/2009 12:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey JT

FWIW, your suggestion doesn't work.

search text blocks "" replace "" [Times] 12 plain

if you put this line in the Finalescript editor, you can see that the word "blocks" is colored as a separate searchable element (see attached screen shot), and when you run the script, it changes all text in the document, just like it does when at the end of the line.

Note that I'm just following directions in the user guide, but this seems broken to me.

www.musicprep.com/coda

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
syntax_coloring.png
  7KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 145 time(s).

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 11/27/2009 3:33 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FWIW, I always put this element before the quotes, no matter what it is.

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 11/27/2009 2:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, I'll try that syntax and see if I can get better results. Interesting that for articulations and staff names this attribute is at the end of the line.

www.musicprep.com/coda

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 11/27/2009 2:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robert,

I haven't tried it in 2010 yet, but I've always listed text block before the item in quotes:

search text blocks "" replace "" [Times} 12 plain

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 11/26/2009 4:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've not ever tried to use this prior to 2010 so not sure if it was working earlier.

Something like this works for staff names

search "" replace "" [Times] 12 plain, staff names

but a similar line with the text blocks attribute does not:

search "" replace "" [Times] 12 plain, text blocks

Any help appreciated.

robert

www.musicprep.com/coda