Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Choral music?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 5/18/2006 7:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How will SmartMusic work in a chorus setting? I sing barbershop, and we are considering SM to help the chapter learn the songs. I can put the accompaniments in place in piano form, or sax quartet, or chorus aahs, but obviously the words won't be there. Will singing the lyrics against the accompaniment give true feedback, or will the difference in tonality throw things off?
I have already used PrintMusic to give us a learning tool. I have laid each voice on a separate channel. Then, by using something like SweetMidiPlayer, the guys can solo their line, or emphasize it, or deemphasize it and sing against the other three parts. What other advantages might there be in SmartMusic?

Thanks!

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2006 on the PC
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 5/23/2006 5:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
How will SmartMusic work in a chorus setting? I sing barbershop, and we are considering SM to help the chapter learn the songs. I can put the accompaniments in place in piano form, or sax quartet, or chorus aahs, but obviously the words won't be there. Will singing the lyrics against the accompaniment give true feedback, or will the difference in tonality throw things off?
I have already used PrintMusic to give us a learning tool. I have laid each voice on a separate channel. Then, by using something like SweetMidiPlayer, the guys can solo their line, or emphasize it, or deemphasize it and sing against the other three parts. What other advantages might there be in SmartMusic?

Thanks!

For your situation, I'm not sure how much advantage you'd find in SmartMusic. Obviously SmartMusic can follow a performer, but this might not be what you'd want for this type of music. Also, for passages where a singer is singing solo, SmartMusic allows the performer to sing that part freely, and it listens for the appropriate time to come back in. But again, this probably isn't terribly common in your music. SmartMusic also scrolls the music on the screen so that the next line of music is always in view. But since your group members will be reading from sheet music, this won't make much difference.

If the ability for the program to follow the performer's tempo changes is something you're looking for, then you could download the program and give it a try (you should be able to try the sample files without purchasing a subscription). Other than that, though, I don't see much application for your situation.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 5/23/2006 8:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tyler,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the input.
Mike

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2006 on the PC
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."