Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Convert existing Finale files to assessable & gradeable SmartMusic exercises  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MMHein
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 6/2/2006 5:17 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I've got lots of sheets created with Finale PrintMusic 2006 and Finale 2006, many of them using the Jazz font.

I now want to convert all of them into assessable and gradeable SmartMusic exercise. Problem with the jazz scores is that Finale complained with "Notehead font is not default music font". So I changed the notehead font to "Maestro" an tried the conversion again, which resulted in "Notehead font is not default music font" and "Independent Notehead font" error messages.

Next step was to create a SmartMusic assessable & gradeable score with Finale 2006 from scratch, and transfer the score by copy & paste from the existing score. Now this I could use and assess in SmartMusic, only the solo voice was changed from original "Eb Alto Sax" to "Piano", and there were no swinging eighths!

How can I

* do a bulk conversion
* have "Eb Alto Sax" as solo voice
* have swinging eights

Cheers,
Martin

MMHein
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/2/2006 5:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, one more thing: How do I add articulations in Finale, so that they can be assessed and graded in SmartMusic?

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 6/5/2006 7:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MMHein said...
Hi,

I've got lots of sheets created with Finale PrintMusic 2006 and Finale 2006, many of them using the Jazz font.

I now want to convert all of them into assessable and gradeable SmartMusic exercise. Problem with the jazz scores is that Finale complained with "Notehead font is not default music font". So I changed the notehead font to "Maestro" an tried the conversion again, which resulted in "Notehead font is not default music font" and "Independent Notehead font" error messages.

Next step was to create a SmartMusic assessable & gradeable score with Finale 2006 from scratch, and transfer the score by copy & paste from the existing score. Now this I could use and assess in SmartMusic, only the solo voice was changed from original "Eb Alto Sax" to "Piano", and there were no swinging eighths!

How can I

* do a bulk conversion
* have "Eb Alto Sax" as solo voice
* have swinging eights

Cheers,
Martin

For the notehead font problem, the message about "independent notehead font" might be a clue. Select the staff tool and double click in the middle of the first measure on the first staff. Where it says independent elements: notehead, is that checked? If so, uncheck it. Repeat this for all of the staves. If that doesn't help, please post your file here so I can take a look.

When you create your own gradeable file from scratch, make sure to use the File menu >> New >> SmartMusic Setup Wizard. The wizard should give you the chance to choose the solo instrument for a gradeable file.

I don't think it's currently possible to save accompaniments with swinging eighths. Contact customer support to get a confirmation on that.

While a bulk conversion would be an excellent feature, it's unfortunately not currently possible. Make sure to request this when you ask about the swing feature!

When you talk about articulations, which kind do you mean? SmartMusic won't grade or ornaments, and Finale won't allow them to be exported. So trills, turns, etc. will prevent the file from being saved.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

MMHein
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/6/2006 2:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tyler, Thank you! :)