Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > I'm really good at musical notation  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

chris1966
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chris1966AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add chris wilkinson to Your Y! Friends List.MSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/13/2006 11:41 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am wodering if there is some big need for people who are really good at musical notation and are willing to prove it. My name is Chris Wilkinson and I am looking forward to an opportunity where I am needed and can prove myself.  I am from South Carolina and have found the 'need' to be rare, mainly because this is pretty much podunk and  my skills are a bit detailed to be of need to most people. 

I am willing to prove myself. I have perfect pitch and have been professional since I was 10 years old.  I would love to find someone who needs my skills.   I enjoy doing it,  and it's fairly easy to me. 

Thank you,

Chris Wilkinson 66 @ yahoo.com

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 6/13/2006 12:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You probably will not find someone looking for an engraver here on this forum.  But you might find work if you enquire with some music publishers.  Please note that there are a number of skilled engravers out there and there may not be a lot of work to be had.  Finding a steady job at engraving will mean that you have to "go through the ropes" of applying and applying for engraving work and being turned down.  If you could come up with several classical pieces or other pieces flawlessly engraved and made a portfolio of your engraving, you might send these to some publishers.

I am not a professional engraver myself, so what I am recommending here just comes from experience and common sense.  I admire your enthusiasm.  At the same time you need to know that there are not a lot pf pieces that need engraving and there are many skilled engravers.

There is a whole lot of music being composed, but most composers have Finale or another notation software and are perfectly satisfied with their own flawed notation.  My guess is that it would be very hard to earn money engraving the average Joes's song and dance number when they have already used Finale to create the work on their own.

Perhaps you can post some of your own work to the Finale showcase, if you have any original work.

Good luck.

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2006c
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Also... GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, with very limited knowledge of how to use them.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

chris1966
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chris1966AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add chris wilkinson to Your Y! Friends List.MSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/13/2006 12:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
David,

Thank you for your reply.  It is nice to know that some people are honest, yet tactful about it. 

I hope to find some work somewhere. It truly is a specialed area and I imagine it will be difficult to find steady work.

If you hear of anything, please send me a brief note of it.

Thanks again,

Chris