Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Scanning with Finale Guitar  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

phil_richcreek
Registered Member

Click to send phil_richcreek email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to phil_richcreekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 5

Posted 3/1/2005 12:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm making my first attempt at scanning and importing a score into Finale Guitar. The score is actually a 4-part score for unaccompanied voice(s); that is, a vocal quartet. But I would be satisfied if it ended up looking like a piano score.  I scanned the first page as a .tif file and read it into Guitar using the File/Smartscore Lite function. What I get is the first 4 measures of the score and nothing more.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Can I expect much better results if I upgrade to Allegro?

I understand that I'm not going to get 100% accuracy and I expect to have to do a lot of editing. I'm hoping for 85-90% accuracy.

Thanks,

Phil

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/2/2005 1:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It really has a lot to do with how the scanned image looks. Try experimenting with the size of the image, the darkness, the resolution, etc. Also make very sure that all of the barlines are clear, especially the ones at the edge of the pages.

Windows XP, all updates

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 3/2/2005 6:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Guitar would be a 2002/2003 version, is that correct ? As far as I know the scanning software is the same across the whole range of products, but the later releases have an updated version. I had PrintMusic 2003, and the scanning worked poorly; presumably that is what you have. I found the scanning in PrintMusic 2004 a major improvement, and actually quite useful. Allegro and Finale are at the 2005 release, and have a still later version of the scanning software : I have not tried them, but some people on these forums have claimed that the 2005 version is worse than the 2004 one.

You could try downloading a demo of one of these programs and trying out the scanning. The manual I have with PM04 has a section on scanning with tips for scanner settings to get the best results - if you don't find that in your manual, then do a search on these forums for scanning as there have been several detailed discussions of problems fairly recently.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZX, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/2/2005 12:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fritz, the version of PrintMusic you were using that had the weaker scanning was probably PrintMusic 2002. It used MIDIScan instead of SmartScore. There actually wasn't a PrintMusic 2003. Finale 2003 is where they did the big improvement to the scanning (switched to SmartScore Lite), and Finale Guitar 2003 inherited that. Some people found that the scanning results going from 2003 to 2004 got worse, while others thought it was better. It really depends on the music. 2005 will generally be better than 2004 since it was a smaller update to the scanning engine.

Windows XP, all updates