Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Printing beats  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 3/1/2005 12:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would like to print blank manuscript paper for use in rhythmic dictation, in different time signatures, with the beats marked evenly under the staff. Is there any way Finale can do this or do I have to create something with the text tool (time consuming) ?
(F2004)

Thanks

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 3/1/2005 12:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Like this?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

File Attachment :
Dictation Template.MUS   62KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 245 time(s).

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1684

Posted 3/1/2005 12:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just thinking outloud: Could you use "headless notes?"

Example: in 4/4, enter 4 quarter notes and change the notehead to none (I have no clue if that's even an option, but it might be). You might have to play with where you put the note (ie what pitch) to get the stems where you want it. You might also have to change the stem length.

Terence
Using Finale 2003a, Windows 2000 XP Home

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 3/1/2005 1:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tbmartin said...
Just thinking outloud: Could you use "headless notes?"

Example: in 4/4, enter 4 quarter notes and change the notehead to none (I have no clue if that's even an option, but it might be). You might have to play with where you put the note (ie what pitch) to get the stems where you want it. You might also have to change the stem length.

To change the notehead to none, you replace it with an empty shape.

Stem lengths can be set globally in the Document Options.

Peter

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/1/2005 2:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From my reading of the original post, all he wants is beats marked under the staff. I just put rests in and hid them. Why do you need to enter notes and hide the heads? I don't think he wants the stems, just the counts. Or am I missing something?

Zuill

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/1/2005 3:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought he was looking for a mark of some type falling where the beat is in an otherwise blank measure. Doesn't hiding rests just give you an empty measure when you print it, or did you do something else to the file? (I can't check right now because I'm at work, which means I really shouldn't even be checking the forum!! ;-) )

Wlgold: Have we answered your question?

Terence

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 3/1/2005 4:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wlgold said...
...with the beats marked evenly under the staff.

Another idea : you could use slashes under the staff.
Create a new staff under the main one. In staff attributes : define a staff with zero lines and alternate notation : slashes.
If the slashes are too oblique for your taste, remember ou can re-define what a slash is supposed to look like in Document Options->Alternate Notation->Large Slash.
92 (vertical line) or 203 (less oblique slash) in Maestro are among other possibiities.

Updated : I replied a bit too fast, and I missed Zuill's suggestion, with beat numbers. If numbers is what you want, that's of course the way to do it.

Michel
Finale 2005b on a MacG5 2x2,5 and MacOsX 10.3.5 French, (Finale 2003a on a Mac G4 and MacOs 9.2.2. Fr) 21' CRT. Midi interface : MOTU Midi Express XT. Roland Sound Canvas SC88-vl. Printer : Xerox Laser Docuprint N2825 (A3)

Post Edited (michelp) : 3/1/2005 9:53:22 PM GMT

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004

Posted 3/1/2005 4:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill's solution was pretty close. It would be nice to have a dot or something between the numbers for the upbeat, but one can live without.

I see the hidden quarter rests, but how do you get the count below?

Thanks

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/1/2005 4:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought he meant the beats as in numbers. My method is still the easiest, because rests will be spaced evenly in the measure so that the lyrics attached to them will be spaced evenly. Instead of the numbers I used, one could enter a mark in the lyrics tool that would provide the same function.

I used the blank notation layer 1 staff style, which still shows the lyrics.

Zuill

P.S.: I now have eighth rests hidden with lyrics attached to get the + between the beats.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 3/1/2005 10:40:05 PM GMT

File Attachment :
Dictation Template 2.MUS   64KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 253 time(s).

File Attachment :
Dictation Template 3.MUS   67KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 247 time(s).

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/1/2005 5:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not having Finale available to see Zuill's example, I didn't know he entered the beat-markers as lyrics. Wish I had thought of it. I agree that's a much easier solution.

Terence

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/1/2005 6:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One more version with the dots.

Zuill

File Attachment :
Dictation Template 4.MUS   67KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 266 time(s).

Wlgold
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004

Posted 3/2/2005 2:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's going to work fine. Thanks for all your help.