Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Can Sharpeye output be imported into Finale Guitar? Allegro?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

phil_richcreek
Registered Member

Click to send phil_richcreek email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to phil_richcreekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 5

Posted 3/1/2005 7:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm looking into acquiring the Sharpeye software for scanning. The stuff I've read talks about the NIFF output format, plus a propietary Sharpeye format, that are produced by the lower-priced version of Sharpeye.  Which of the Finale products can handle these formats (either one or both)?

Does anyone have an opinion about whether Sharpeye, if it can be read into one of the Finale products, produces significantly better results than Smartscore Lite? Is there a "Smartscore Heavy" that might compete with Sharpeye?

Thanks,

Phil

Post Edited (phil_richcreek) : 3/1/2005 11:29:45 PM GMT

Gary Daggett
Registered Member

Click to send Gary Daggett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary DaggettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 68

Posted 3/1/2005 9:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I just purchased Sharpeye 2.61 and am using Finale 2005b. I also still use Finale 2003a and it works with it also. I purchased Sharpeye because the included Smartscore lite was poor compared to the one included in Finale 2003a. Sharpeye actually works and I am able to move a good number of scans over to Finale without much clean up if the original is formatted to common standards and it is a clean scan. Sharpeye does an impressive job recognizing notes and fair on text and lyrics. I save as MusicXML which can be read in Finale through the MusicXML import.

Sorry, I can't speak of the other programs but if they have the Recordare MusicXML plugin included they will read it in. This is the only translation format besides midi (poor, last resort) that I know works with Finale. I am not aware that it can import from NIFF or the native Sharpeye file format.

Gary Daggett
Finale 2003a 2005a, Windows 2000, Santa Cruz sound card

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/2/2005 1:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Only Finale has the Music XML plug-in for importing files, so with Allegro or Finale Guitar you'd be limited to using MIDI.

I haven't tried the latest SmartScore, but Sharp Eye compared well to SmartScore in the past. I believe you can download a demo of SmartScore from www.smartscore.com.

Windows XP, all updates

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 3/2/2005 2:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And only SharpEye 2 produces the MusicXML output that Finale can import. You can try SharpEye free for 30 days, together with the Dolet for Finale plug-in that will import SharpEye output into any version of Finale back to Finale 2000. They are available at:

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

phil_richcreek
Registered Member

Click to send phil_richcreek email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to phil_richcreekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 3/3/2005 10:55 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael Good said...
And only SharpEye 2 produces the MusicXML output that Finale can import [emphasis added]. You can try SharpEye free for 30 days, together with the Dolet for Finale plug-in that will import SharpEye output into any version of Finale back to Finale 2000. They are available at:

With Finale 2005, does the Dolet for Finale finale plug-in need to be purchased separately to read MusicXML? Or is it, or a functionally similar capability, included along with the Finale product as one of its plug-ins?

Thanks.  

http://dot-richcreek.name-1211177.namezero.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/singing_is_life.jpg

In our pursuit of happiness, it's sometimes helpful to just pause and be happy.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 3/3/2005 8:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MusicXML import has been included since Finale 2003 on Windows. The full version gives you much better capabilities that the light version included in 2003 and 2004. For 2005, the differences are less pronounced. For 2000 through 2002, there's no MusicXML import built into Finale, so the plug-in is required. There's more information at:

http://www.recordare.com/finale/dolet-upgrade.html

You can always try SharpEye with the light version of Dolet built into Finale, then download the full version of Dolet for a free 30-day trial to see if it makes a difference.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Post Edited (Michael Good) : 3/4/2005 12:43:18 AM GMT

phil_richcreek
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 3/4/2005 12:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I tested SmartScore Pro, SmartScore Songbook, and Sharpeye. All did a much better job scanning than the SmartScore Lite included in the Finale Guitar product. I decided to go with SmartScore Songbook because it can write its output to a .fin file, which can be read by Finale Guitar, which I already own.  I could not really justify the cost of the full-featured Finale product plus Sharpeye2.

Again, thanks for all the good information.  smile

In our pursuit of happiness, it's sometimes helpful to just pause and be happy.

Phil Richcreek