Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Idea for developers...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit CLH's website.Send a Private Message to CLHAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 10

Posted 5/26/2005 1:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is it possible to design a "Notepad" type of program that would work on handhelds like Pocket PCs and Palm OS devices?  Having a small portable version would be great when one has an idea, but isn't near the "big" computer.  And it might be helpful in places where using a laptop just isn't practical.  I understand it would probably need to be run directly from a card, or module due to the amount of data needed.

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 5/26/2005 4:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure that the screens are good enough to be useful for this - maybe this is a situation where pencil and paper is still the answer.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 5/26/2005 4:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This request has popped up over the past few years. It seems like a good idea. I'm hoping that MakeMusic is giving some thought to a handheld version, if at least a simple program to put down those tunes that one comes up with while on the road, at a resturant, or a boring board meeting.

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2005b, GPO studio
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 5/27/2005 7:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could always shell out the $$$ for a tablet PC...

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit CLH's website.Send a Private Message to CLHAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005

Posted 5/27/2005 7:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Still too big and cumbersome.  I have a light-weight laptop now, but don't want to lug it around.  And sometimes it is just too crowded on the subway or ferry to use a laptop.  I was hoping for something that would interface with a true hand-help.  And maybe for when you are in the loo... when some really GRAND musical ideas pop in... smilewinkgrin

ChordalChoirs
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ChordalChoirsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999
Total Posts : 467

Posted 5/27/2005 8:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use a Pocket PC and record the melody in by singing it. I've been known to sing introductions or endings and speak other details into the recorder as well. That's a big help to me when on the run.

Diane

Finale 2005b, Win XP Pro

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 5/27/2005 10:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's a good idea, thanks.smile

AH
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AHAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 6

Posted 6/4/2005 7:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yes, I agree with the sing it and talk method. A mini-recorder is pretty inexpensive.

AH

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 6/4/2005 8:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
But it still doesn't help with the things I would like to be able to do (edit lyrics, articulations, etc.) using the hand-held I have. And people don't usually appreciate somebody singing next to them on the subway. I just think it would be a good product to add to the Finale family.

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 6/4/2005 9:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How about a notepad and pencil?

Richard N.

Software = Finale 2005 (no updates) ~ Garritan GPO ~ Sonar 4 Producer ~ WinXP Home SP1
Hardware =
Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ Audigy Sound Card
Real Instruments = Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium ~ M-Audio Keystation 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Roland SoundCanvas SC-33
Leisure stuff = ST:TNG ~ Kronenbourg ~ Italian Red Wine ~ Curry

All posts spellchecked using a very unreliable beta version of GreyMatter® ver. 1.01

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 6/4/2005 9:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nevermind... I can hand write, but then it still needs to get into the program. Get it? I am looking for a way to do it without lugging my laptop along. Yes, I can sing into a tape recorder, write nites, hand-transcribe... and on and on... but that doesn't get into the program until I do it all over again at a computer. I am SUGGESTING a software program for development... HENCE the thread title. Geez. :-)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 6/5/2005 2:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
See if you can find any other program that can do it and then save your work as a MIDI file. Until Finale has a handheld version, this may save some transcription time.

Zuill

P.S.: I just did a quick Yahoo search and found quite a few references to handheld programs that export to MIDI. You may want to do a search and see what you dig up. This would at least give you notes. Then, when you import into Finale, you can clean it up and add the details.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Post Edited (Zuill) : 6/5/2005 6:46:41 AM GMT

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 6/5/2005 6:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CLH said...
Nevermind... I can hand write, but then it still needs to get into the program. Get it? I am looking for a way to do it without lugging my laptop along. Yes, I can sing into a tape recorder, write nites, hand-transcribe... and on and on... but that doesn't get into the program until I do it all over again at a computer. I am SUGGESTING a software program for development... HENCE the thread title. Geez. :-)
It was a joke.

Richard N.

Software = Finale 2005 (no updates) ~ Garritan GPO ~ Sonar 4 Producer ~ WinXP Home SP1
Hardware =
Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ Audigy Sound Card
Real Instruments = Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium ~ M-Audio Keystation 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Roland SoundCanvas SC-33
Leisure stuff = ST:TNG ~ Kronenbourg ~ Italian Red Wine ~ Curry

All posts spellchecked using a very unreliable beta version of GreyMatter® ver. 1.01

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 6/5/2005 10:01 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard N. said...
It was a joke.

I got it. :p

There used to be a lot of humor and good fun on this forum, but alas, no more. Everyone is so d... serious! sad

Finale 2003 and 2005

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 6/5/2005 11:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry Richard. I got it too, that's why I put the smilie. But now I will go stand in the corner for an hour (um, with my little tape recorder, notepad and pencil) and do my penance. Hmmm... I have a little work to do on a "Mea culpa" piece... ;-)

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 6/5/2005 11:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CLH said...
I'm sorry Richard. I got it too, that's why I put the smilie. But now I will go stand in the corner for an hour (um, with my little tape recorder, notepad and pencil) and do my penance. Hmmm... I have a little work to do on a "Mea culpa" piece... ;-)

Good! And let that be a lesson to you! devil

Finale 2003 and 2005

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 6/5/2005 11:58 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, you see, I come from SLD (Slower Lower Delaware), only about 6 miles north of the Mason/Dixon line. AND I am a liberal Democrat...a VERY rare and endangered species in that region. SO, I moved to NYC where my politics are more normal and my personality quirks are just one in a few million, but I am still a bit of a fish out of water (an older fish at that). But I have a steep learning curve (and lots of opportunities to ride the curve), and I love humor. My apologies if I seemed edgy, put it down to my usual sense of insecurity and the knowledge that I am a rookie in this arena. Take me by the hand, if you will, I really don't bite... usually... well, only when provoked... or...

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 6/5/2005 2:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The best program I know in this area is the miniMusic NotePad for PalmOS. Check out their website at

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Stephen Henry
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stephen HenryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 238

Posted 6/5/2005 2:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

... also:

http://www.pdamusician.com/midnote.html

Which offers a demo version you can try.

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 6/5/2005 2:48 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you both very much!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. —Voltaire

CLH
Perpetual BS Student

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 6/5/2005 6:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the link to pdamusician.com!  It is very close to what I am looking for!tongue

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. —Voltaire