Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > hiding ledger lines?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jzucker
Registered Member

Click to send jzucker email.Click to visit jzucker's website.Send a Private Message to jzuckerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 827

Posted Yesterday 9:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a way to do it other than the plug-in? The problem with the plug in is that it hides all ledger lines on a selected measure. I have my rhthmic notation on the 2nd layer and only want to hide leger lines on that measure.

Check out my guitar technique book, Sheets of Sound for Guitar.

jzucker
Registered Member

Click to send jzucker email.Click to visit jzucker's website.Send a Private Message to jzuckerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted Yesterday 9:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.jackzucker.com/rhythmic.jpg

As you can see, the plug-in which removes the ledger lines in Finale also removed the ledger lines from the standard notation which is in a different layer.

How do you remove ledger lines from an individual note in speedy or simple?

Why doesn't the manual cross-ref very clearly indicate this? :-(

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted Yesterday 9:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you choose to only show the active layer, then apply the plugin, it should only affect that layer. If you only want to do it for 1 beat in a measure, use the partial measuires function.

Zuill

P.S.: You can also remove an individual leger line in the edit Frame window. But the plugin is faster.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Post Edited (Zuill) : 10/4/2005 8:23:24 PM (GMT-5)

jzucker
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted Today 1:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
If you choose to only show the active layer, then apply the plugin, it should only affect that layer. If you only want to do it for 1 beat in a measure, use the partial measuires function.

Zuill

P.S.: You can also remove an individual leger line in the edit Frame window. But the plugin is faster.
What is the partial measures function?

I'm not sure what the edit Frame window is...

Nickie Fønshauge
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Nickie Fønshauge's website.Send a Private Message to Nickie FønshaugeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 1525

Posted Today 1:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Edit Frame: Speedy | CTRL+Left-Click measure
Partial measures: Massedit | Edit menu | check Select Partial Measures

Nickie Katharina Fønshauge
PrintMusic04/Finale05/Finale06 - GPO - XP Home SP2 - Pentium 4 3.2E - 1 GB RAM - SB Audigy 2 ZS - Technics KN 500

jzucker
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted Today 2:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, partial measures "selection". I have that on all the time. I didn't know what was meant by "partial measures function"...

Still not familiar with the edit frame window. However, you should be able to toggle a leger line with a key like you can beams, accidentals, etc.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted Today 6:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was using a generic term for that feature. I meant the Select Partial Measures function (function meaning the ability to do). The edit frame window is accessed by being in the Speedy Entry tool, and ctrl-clicking on a measure that has something already in it.

Zuill

jzucker
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/6/2005 9:13 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
I was using a generic term for that feature. I meant the Select Partial Measures function (function meaning the ability to do). The edit frame window is accessed by being in the Speedy Entry tool, and ctrl-clicking on a measure that has something already in it.

Zuill

Wow Zuill...I had never seen that speedy measure attributes dialog. It's powerful but very clumsy. The preoccupation with the "next entry" navagation that Makemusic has baffles me. Very counter-productive. They have the same concept in the chord editor and it's what makes this so clumsy.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 10/6/2005 10:16 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jzucker said...
Wow Zuill...I had never seen that speedy measure attributes dialog. It's powerful but very clumsy. The preoccupation with the "next entry" navigation that Makemusic has baffles me. Very counter-productive. They have the same concept in the chord editor and it's what makes this so clumsy.

Do you mean the fact that the cursor automatically moves to the next entry-position when you enter a note?
If you hadn't noticed, while using Speedy Entry you can alter the note you just entered even though the cursor is not actually on that note. For example, to raise or lower the note (sharp/flat) simply utilize the +/- keys.
To tie a note to the next upcoming note, simply press =.

Speedy Entry is, just as its name implies, meant for rapid entry of notes. I don't think it was designed for anyone who might be entering notes vertically one by one (for example notes of chords).

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.
However, I might point out, if you had to manually advance the cursor every time you entered a note, it would be considerably more counter-productive.

My only personal bug with Speedy Entry is that when I enter an appoggiatura/grace note, Finale won't let me alter the notes to "grace note format" until the following note has been entered.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/6/2005 10:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True. However, it does allow you, once you understand how it works, to do some powerful things. I use it to flip notes to the other side of the stem in thick chords. Doing it manually in the Special Tools is faster but not as precise. I also use this to add backward ties in 2nd endings. It can also be used to mute just certain notes in a measure. Say you wanted to notate a hand clap or spoken note, and didn't want it to play back. You can easily uncheck the playback for just that note in the edit frame.

Zuill

jzucker
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/6/2005 10:26 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Zuill,

email me offline ([email protected])

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 10/6/2005 10:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
True. However, it does allow you, once you understand how it works, to do some powerful things. I use it to flip notes to the other side of the stem in thick chords. Doing it manually in the Special Tools is faster but not as precise. I also use this to add backward ties in 2nd endings. It can also be used to mute just certain notes in a measure. Say you wanted to notate a hand clap or spoken note, and didn't want it to play back. You can easily uncheck the playback for just that note in the edit frame.

Zuill

how exactly do you do this? this is a functionality I have yet to discover and have at times been in need of it. (to alter the playback of a single note)

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 10/6/2005 10:59 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can do it in the Edit Frame dialog box by unchecking Playback for the note. This is probably the quickest and easiest way.

But there are also a couple of other ways you can do it.

You can use the MIDI Tool to set Key Velocity to zero for that note, and you can create an expression to do the same thing. Creating an expression make sense if you will be silencing lots of individual notes.

Finale 2003, 2005, 2006

Post Edited (Dick Brodfuehrer) : 10/6/2005 10:03:20 AM (GMT-5)