Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > what mouse?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bladderskate
Registered Member

Click to send bladderskate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bladderskateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 20

Posted 10/5/2005 2:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear frequent users who manage to avoid carpal problems:

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOUSE?

I write this knowing that there are of course many entry methods, but the mouse must still be used for many things and I find the classic mouse a bit tough and the trackball worse (too hard to position right over an item).

Desperate. All opinions welcome.
Thank you

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 10/5/2005 3:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try the microsoft wireless optical mouse or something like it. It's easy to move around and works really well on my laptop for writing. Replacing the batteries is a pain though

www.marooncadets.com

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 10/5/2005 3:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been very pleased with my Logitech cordless optical mouse. Mine is a MX700, not sure what the current model number would be. Being optical and cordless gives me the ability to use it in almost unlimited positions. That way too many repetitive movements can be avoided, thus making carpal problems less likely. Movement definition is excellent, making it easy to position the cursor exactly where I want it. I also like the fact that it has a total of six programmable buttons. For example, I have one of them set to execute a file save in Finale

Finale 2003, 2005, 2006

Dick Brodfuehrer

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/5/2005 3:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
p.s. I have been using it for about two years and never had to replace the batteries. I simply put it in its charging base each night.

Finale 2003, 2005, 2006

**Rimas G.
Registered Member

Click to send **Rimas G. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to **Rimas G.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 469

Posted 10/5/2005 3:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Logitech optical.

**Rimas G.

P4-1.4GHz/768MB RAM/SB Live/WinXPpro/Fin2005b/Roland ED PC-180a MIDI keyb. ctrl.

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 10/5/2005 6:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I've got a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. Even though I'm a lefty (or southpaw???) the extra 2 programmable buttons are very easy to use (I use my 3rd and 4th fingers, whereas righties use thumb for both). It does chew up the batteries quite a bit, so I simply take out the batteries when I shut down my computer. I also bought rechargable batteries, so I'll never have to buy batteries again!

Cheers,

Tim

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 10/5/2005 6:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps a pen and tablet might by an alternative worth considering?

Richard N.

Software = Finale 2003 to 2006 ~ Garritan GPO ~ Sonar 4 Producer ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP1
Hardware =
Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ Audigy Sound Card
Real Instruments = Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium ~ M-Audio Keystation 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Roland SoundCanvas SC-33
Leisure stuff = ST:TNG ~ Kronenbourg ~ Italian Red Wine ~ Curry

All posts spellchecked using a very unreliable beta version of GreyMatter® ver. 1.01

tim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to timAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 692

Posted 10/5/2005 6:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kensington Turbo Mouse

Big track ball, took 2 weeks to get used to but once you do, using a mouse is like using a radial dial telephone.
It also has lots of buttons, 4 main ones and 6 top row and the scroller. All can be programmed to do things. My setup is
Top right- double click, top left has a menu that allows me to select tools (mass edit, staff etc, you make the menu yourself_
Very top row of buttons which is really for web shortcuts can also be used, mine are for- changing noteheads, opening quant settings, retranscribe, turning pages. It really speeds things up.

Tim

bladderskate
Registered Member

Click to send bladderskate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bladderskateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005

Posted 10/5/2005 7:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to all.

I went to the store today and looked at the mice (mouses?). Some follow-ups.

Richard N: I saw the pen and tablet thing but assumed that it's for Illustrator and such. Have you or anyone else used it? How would such a thing be useful in Finale? I do like the idea of holding a pen. (And also, you play euphonium? Cool, I played that and baritone horn in younger days.)

Tim: I saw the Kensington with the big ball and all the buttons at the shop. It looks very useful in terms of all the programmability. But I'm trying to picture how it is used in terms of the trackball. It seems to me that the hand and/or fingers would have to hover over the ball at times, engaging and thus tiring muscles, whereas with a classic mouse your hand is basically at rest on the table. Maybe I'm not picturing this correctly. If it's not too stupid a question, could you walk me through an operation? Do you bring your hand to the ball and move it til the curser is, say, over an expression then leave the ball where it is and press some button? How about clicking and dragging (say for copying); this seems natural domain to a classic mouse - is it a pain in the trackball?

Brodfuehrer: You sold me on wireless. Being able to move the mouse to my lap for a while then to another spot on the desk would definitely cut down the repetitive stress.

Thanks to all for the help. Any other suggestions out there?

tim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to timAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 692

Posted 10/5/2005 8:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I find it much easier on my wrist than a mouse as there is no sideways wrist movement. My wrist sits flat on the table with my hand drapped over the ball. My finger tips touch the ball just on the other side from my wrist. Any movement is done by using only my finger tips. I have convinced a few peaple to try it and a few have not made it through the first week. If you can get passed the change, you will really never be able to go back to a mouse in terms of speed, relaxed muscles and functionality. I have been pulling 10-14 hour days and never get a sore wrist. The other cool thing is you can flick the ball to get the pointer to the other side (I have 2x21s at high res so it is a long way and used to mean several strokes with a mouse)

Tim

www.TiMusic.net

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 10/6/2005 4:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bladderskate said...
Richard N: I saw the pen and tablet thing but assumed that it's for Illustrator and such. Have you or anyone else used it? How would such a thing be useful in Finale? I do like the idea of holding a pen. (And also, you play euphonium? Cool, I played that and baritone horn in younger days.)
My understanding is that you can use pen/tablet as a replacement for the mouse - i.e. you move the cursor by moving the pen and there are buttons or a nib on the pen that you can use for clicking.

Richard N.

Software = Finale 2003 to 2006 ~ Garritan GPO ~ Sonar 4 Producer ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP1
Hardware =
Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ Audigy Sound Card
Real Instruments = Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium ~ M-Audio Keystation 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Roland SoundCanvas SC-33
Leisure stuff = ST:TNG ~ Kronenbourg ~ Italian Red Wine ~ Curry

All posts spellchecked using a very unreliable beta version of GreyMatter® ver. 1.01

Dick Brodfuehrer

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/6/2005 10:45 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wouldn't you know it!

The day I pick to brag about never having to replace batteries in two years is the same day the batteries pick to go goofy on me.

So, I'll amend my previous statement to read "replaced only once in about two years." lol

Finale 2003, 2005, 2006

bladderskate
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 10/6/2005 11:01 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks again fellas. Tough break Dick. Tim, you make a convincing argument for the Turbo mouse. If I can find (the time to do it and) the place to give a pen and tablet a test run then I might decide on that, otherwise it looks like Turbo. Working 10-14 hours, that's quite an endorsement.

Anyone out there actually use the pen?

Gary Ewer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Gary Ewer's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 87

Posted 10/6/2005 11:09 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know people who suffer from carpal tunnel and other related injuries and strains, and even though they get a different mouse, they wind up basically replacing one repetitive activity with another. And so they still have issues.

"Bladderskate", I quite suspect you are well-versed in all the therapeutic solutions to carpal tunnel, but just in case... I know of a good page with a list of "make sure you do these" type of suggestions for position and using computer, monitor, mouse, etc.: <http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_1_19/ai_69651754>

All the best,

Gary Ewer
Computer info: G4 1 GHz 768 MB RAM, using Finale 2005

www.easymusictheory.com
Learn the essential secrets of songwriting: www.secretsofsongwriting.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/6/2005 2:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have found the secret to avoiding wrist or hand problems has less to do with the mouse, but with the chair. I have an adjustable chair, and am constantly changing the height to modify the wrist position. When I feel my hand or wrist tiring, I change the chair position. All things being equal (regardless of the chosen mouse), experiment with sitting position as part of the mix.

The Genovation combination keypad/mouse works well for Finale, so you don't have to keep moving your hand. It is a bit big, so for those with small hands, it might not work well.

By the way, be careful for those wireless cats, or you may wake up and find your mouse missing one day.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP