Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > rowloff sounds  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gluckow
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gluckowAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 16

Posted 12/8/2005 12:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have read several threads refering to "rowloff" sounds.  What are they?  How does one use Them? Thanks.  XP WINDOWS/Finale 2006a

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 12/8/2005 1:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The rowloff sounds are usable sounds for what would be marching band percussion. (BTW www.rowloff.com is the company, their CD's are funny and the music is excellent). For a person who arranges and writes marching music (like me), it gives realistic sounds to the marching area. Some sounds are great, others are OK. At least they give you an idea of what your music sounds like. There are more realistic sounds available at a cost.

You can use them in the set up wizard and they are in the marching percussion catagories. If you use them, print out the appendix with the rowloff notation from the user's manual. It will save a lot of headaches. Experimentation is a lot of fun which the sounds.

One more thing, I have had trouble converting the sounds to MIDI, so beware if you are going to do this. Joe has been real helpful with the rowloff sounds (see my previous posts) and he will probably chime in on this one.

Jim

www.marooncadets.com

Finale 2005,2006 Win XP

gluckow
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gluckowAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 12/8/2005 1:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Jim for the info, Gordy

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/8/2005 1:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They are in the Softsynth soundfont, not GPO. You need to have it set to Channel 10 (or the 10th channel of each set of 16 GM patches). Then, and this is important, you need to select patch 2. The mapping is quite different than normal percussion mapping. If you are using a MIDI keyboard, entry is easier, since snare alone has more than 7 different sounds on a single staff location.

Zuill

P.S.: One nice thing is that it has a gong sound, which the standard percussion soundfont (patch 1) does not.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/8/2005 11:53:17 AM (GMT-6)

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/8/2005 2:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Didn't know about the gong. Good to know.

Jim

www.marooncadets.com

Finale 2005,2006 Win XP

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/8/2005 2:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here is a 2005 file showing the difference in Gongs. I don't know how it plays with the 2006 soundfont, so try it and see. Because 2005 didn't allow simultaneous patch 1 and 2 percussion, I used an expression to make the change.

Zuill

File Attachment :
Gong Comparison 2005.MUS   63KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 325 time(s).

gluckow
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 12/8/2005 4:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, Now I dont want to sound dum here, but I have to ask. Are you saying I should choose the "instrument" window from the window menu, then on the staff in question I should choose channel 10 and then in the last column there is a drop down menu to choose a patch from the 128 GM list, your saying patch number 2?. Or am I in the wrong place here. I know this is probably very basic for you, but I could use the help, thanks.
Gordy

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/8/2005 6:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use 2005. It probably works that way in 2006 for the softsynth. Even though they say they are pianos, when it comes to percussion, that is of no concern. You are in the right place. If you choose the marching percussion in the wizard, it should do that selection for you.

Zuill

gluckow
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 12/9/2005 9:53 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, I'll try messing with that on my lunch hour.
Gordy

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/9/2005 10:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gordy,

The advice that Zuill gave also works in 2006. If at all possible, set the percussion sounds you want to the wizard, then pull the instrument list to see exactly how they are set up. I do the set-up in the wizard just because it is easier.

Jim

www.marooncadets.com

Finale 2005,2006 Win XP