Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2006's best laptop configuration  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Luis Francisco Soto
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Luis Francisco SotoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 8

Posted 1/18/2006 4:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just wondering..., I am planning on buying a new laptop to install Finale 2006c but want to know what configuration would be the best to hear the GPO and get the best performance. Any hints on brands, RAM, processor and audio card would be greatly appreciated!!!

Luis

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 1/18/2006 4:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just my thought ( for what its worth).

I have finale on a desktop as well as a laptop. The sound is OK on the laptop, but the best sound is the desktop. Understand that a laptop has limits based on its makeup. I use the laptop when I can't use the desktop and it is mobile (which is a plus).

Basics : Fastest speed processor you can buy, as much memory as you can buy, best sound card you can afford. Most computer makers will help you if you tell them your needs. USB ports are a must.

www.marooncadets.com

Finale 2005, 2006c Win XP

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Click to send Fred G. Unn email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fred G. UnnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 1268

Posted 1/18/2006 4:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I too use it both on a laptop and desktop. My laptop is a Dell 9300 and it is great for Finale although it is really heavy for a laptop. The 17 inch screen is excellent for scores. I only have 1 gig of RAM on it and sometimes that is a problem using GPO with a fairly large score. Although it can be expensive on a laptop, if you're really serious about GPO you should probably get 2 gigs of RAM.

TechBargains.com usually has some good coupon codes for Dell stuff. If one doesn't work at first wait a couple days and look again. I used a $750 off coupon when I purchased my laptop last year.

Laptop speakers are all going to be pretty crummy. (The 9300's are actually decent, but can't compare to my desktop.) If you don't already have a good set of headphones, plan on getting a pair. HeadRoom (http://www.headphone.com/) is a reputable store that carries most of the highly regarded brands.

Fred

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Click to send Fred G. Unn email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fred G. UnnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 1268

Posted 1/18/2006 5:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If whatever laptop you get doesn't have a numeric keypad (almost all don't, but a few such as the HP 8000 series do), then you'll probably want an external USB keypad if you do any MIDI input. Edirol makes a couple MIDI keyboards that are ultra-thin and great for travelling. I have the previous model of this one that I take on the road with me:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=8&SubCatID=38&ProdID=PCR-M1
Fred

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 1/18/2006 5:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Clearly, you need a gig of RAM for GPO. 512 does not cut it. I am not sure how important it is to get more than one gig of RAM. And in terms of speed, I don't think that a 3.4 ghz processor gives you much more than 3.0. But clearly 3.0 is better than 2.4. What do others think?

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2006, GPO studio
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

JanJan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JanJanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 372

Posted 1/18/2006 6:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i just bought a hp dv 8040us 17" widescreen
turion 64 ml40
1 gig ram xp profesional and it works great so far
with finale and gpo
only thing i dont like its the integrated sound and the speakers(theyre good for some stuff but )
also it is heavy
anyone recomend a good sound card i dont like carrying my saffire all over the place

Finale 2005,Finale 2006
hp pavilion 1.5 gig ram
win xp home service pack 2

Luis Francisco Soto
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Luis Francisco SotoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 8

Posted 1/18/2006 7:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks All you guys for your answers and hints..., I have another question.

With the new "mobile" microchip technology which one would be the more reliable to work with Finale. I really would like to have a powerfull desktop replacement with at least a P4 but I just want to know if a Centrino (for example) would fit my needs (large band scores, marching percussion and often orchestral scores).

Thanks again!

Luis

JanJan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JanJanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 372

Posted 1/18/2006 8:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
look for the future in 64 bit just in case
or wait for the new bill gates stuff (vista)
you can also get a mac

Finale 2005,Finale 2006
hp pavilion 1.5 gig ram
win xp home service pack 2