Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > What is a big score in Finale  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Daniel Schell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Daniel SchellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add danielschellmus to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 52

Posted 3/15/2006 2:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

Finale 2006c

And the last question

As we had recently big troubles with Finale files corrupted, we thought that the suspected causes would be:
- usage of repeated copiyng and saving from one file to another.
- usage of too large files, our files are about 500-700 k about 30-50 pages of score for 25 instruments
- some unknown technical hard (Hard-disk checking, virus scans), or soft-problem.(Windows...?

Is a a 500-700 k about 30-50 pages of score for 25 instruments a big file?
Are some of you just working a complete symphonie (the Turangalila symphonie :0) in just one file?

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel Schell, composer

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 3/15/2006 3:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The biggest thing I've done is a 4 minute tune for an orchestra. about 20 or 30 pages unoptimized. It didn't seem large to me. "Large" probably depends on the speed of your computer. I'm using a 1GHz processor now with 2GB RAM and 60GB hard-drive. Very fast.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, XP

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 3/15/2006 3:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Daniel Schell said...
Hi

Finale 2006c

And the last question

As we had recently big troubles with Finale files corrupted, we thought that the suspected causes would be:
- usage of repeated copiyng and saving from one file to another.
- usage of too large files, our files are about 500-700 k about 30-50 pages of score for 25 instruments
- some unknown technical hard (Hard-disk checking, virus scans), or soft-problem.(Windows...?

Is a a 500-700 k about 30-50 pages of score for 25 instruments a big file?
Are some of you just working a complete symphonie (the Turangalila symphonie :0) in just one file?

Thanks

Daniel

I just finished 91 pages in one file, for piccolo, 2 flute staves, oboe, english horn, 2 clarinet staves, 2 bassoon staves, 7 horn staves, 3 trumpet staves, 3 trombone staves, tuba, 9 percussion staves, and 5 string staves.... (btw, each staff was an independant MIDI channel as well)
that's 30 minutes of music.
is that large enough?

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2006
currently installed: version 3.7.1 (under Win 3.11), 2005b, 2006b
Full GPO
Win XP

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 3/15/2006 4:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've done as many as 1500 measures in one file. It generally works, but copying music does seem inordinately slow. A problem I've encountered is selecting a large amount of music (an entire staff or the entire piece) and then accidently dragging it with the mouse such that it launches into some sort of copy--perhaps it's creating new measures. The program then churns forever (or, at least to the limit of my patience), doesn't respond to ESC, and must be killed from Windows task manager.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/15/2006 7:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motet said...
I've done as many as 1500 measures in one file. It generally works, but copying music does seem inordinately slow. A problem I've encountered is selecting a large amount of music (an entire staff or the entire piece) and then accidently dragging it with the mouse such that it launches into some sort of copy--perhaps it's creating new measures. The program then churns forever (or, at least to the limit of my patience), doesn't respond to ESC, and must be killed from Windows task manager.

They worked on this in Finale 2006. Copy and paste is now much faster for me, but your mileage may vary.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

fcopaja
Registered Member

Click to send fcopaja email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to fcopajaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add fcopaja@hotmail.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 526

Posted 3/15/2006 8:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

My largest file is the Rite of Spring, 1.3 Mb

No problems with it, was made in Finale 2002

Felipe Copaja
Finale 2004
Athlon 1 GHz - 512 MB
Windows XP SP2

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 3/16/2006 10:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The biggest File I've made was a 2 act opera, 444 pages on A4 with 46 staves in scroll view, optimised.
Corruptions seem to be random events. I think I must have had 4 or 5 in the 16 years I'vebeen using Finale.

The only answer is to back up regularly and keep at least 2 old versions. When I'm working consistently on one score I back uup 5 times a day and don'tt overright until the whole job is finished.
Once I have a finnished score I make a backup on another disk and a CD copy

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 1.2GHz Dual G4, 1.25GB RAM /OSX.4.4 /20 inch CRT
Finale 2006
Logic Pro 7.1
Yamaha P-150 Electric Piano
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface
berhinger BCF2000 and BCR 2000

Daniel Schell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Daniel SchellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add danielschellmus to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 3/16/2006 4:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motet said...

Yes, I also suspect that the copying in Finale might be somehow the source of some problems. First it does not really work well as it does not copy expressions, trills and some other items. Plus, we only got those kind of big files corrupted.
But of course, that is no scientific evidence: Do 'music copiyng-pasting' files corrupt or do 'big' files corrupt????

Daniel

Daniel Schell, composer

Daniel Schell
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004

Posted 3/16/2006 4:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter West said...
The biggest File I've made was a 2 act opera, 444 pages on A4 with 46 staves in scroll view, optimised.
Corruptions seem to be random events. I think I must have had 4 or 5 in the 16 years I'vebeen using Finale.

The only answer is to back up regularly and keep at least 2 old versions. When I'm working consistently on one score I back uup 5 times a day and don'tt overright until the whole job is finished.
Once I have a finnished score I make a backup on another disk and a CD copy

Thanks Peter,

I think you are the wise man! We should keep very regular BU's on CD's AND KEEP the CD's, not throwing them after one year. Files are probably getting slowly corrupted if they stay the whole year round on our HD's, who knows?
During the day I BU on my key, and once a week (hopefully) on CD/DVD. but we work in network with 3 PC's.

What do you mean by:
"and don'tt overright until the whole job is finished."

You mean that you don't "overwrite"
We keep Paganini_101, Paganini_102, Paganini_103 and so on ...
That's what you mean.
And with the originals, we keep them on CD
Yes, perhaps repeatedly saving them brings corruption.

Best

Danile

Daniel Schell, composer

Brad H
Registered Member

Click to send Brad H email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Brad HAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 837

Posted 3/16/2006 5:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think I win the prize for most paranoid of all; I keep a backup on both of the hard drives on my desktop at home, one on my laptop, and make two DVD backups monthly and store them at two different locations. When I'm working on my laptop away from home, I email a copy of the file to myself until I have time to make a proper backup. 

Brad Hufft
Finale 2006, 2005, 2004
Lecturer of Music
California State University, Fresno

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 3/16/2006 5:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Uh-oh, is this going to be a "Mine's bigger than yours!" type of thread? :p

I recently finished my Master's thesis, but I'm not telling you how long it is. That's a personal question! ;-)

However, on the subject of backing up files, here's my method:

At the end of the day, I usually archive the file(s) on which I'm working in this manner: Using a compression tool called 7-zip, I create a 7z (or Zip) archive of the Finale files. I make sure to enable password protection and provide a strong password. Then I e-mail the archive to a dedicated e-mail account (Gmail is great for this - they currently offer 2.7 gigabytes of free storage). Since the archive is password protected, I don't really worry about anyone stealing my work. Since my backups are stored in e-mail, I don't have to worry about my computer crashing, and my files are available to me at any location where I have internet access.

If the worst were to happen (computer explodes, fire, etc.), I'll never lose more than one day of work.

Brian Bondari
www.bondari.com
"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"
Constantly campaigning for Finale on Linux....

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 3/17/2006 12:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another idea for off-site backup of files is to use a service like Box.net. They offer a free gigabyte of space (10 megabyte filesize limit). They offer paid plans with more storage, but the free plan is more than sufficient for Finale files.

I've been keeping my password-protected archives in Gmail and in this remote storage site. All for free, and the piece of mind that even if Google goes down (unheard of), my files are still archived.

Just another option.

Brian Bondari
www.bondari.com
"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"
Constantly campaigning for Finale on Linux....

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 3/17/2006 5:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
David, what i meant by overwrite was: if you keep multiple copies of an ongoing project, you could end up with a huge number of files, effectively snapshots of work in progress as many as 4 or 5 times a day, and copies. Once the project is finnished, secure and backed up on CD/DVD, all of those copies are no longer needed, the disk space can be reused/ they can be trashed/you can overwrite them...different ways of saying the same thing.

Oh, one other thing, backing up to CD/DVD, don't ever assume that the CD.DVD is ok without checking at least some of the files before trashing the original disk copies!

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 1.2GHz Dual G4, 1.25GB RAM /OSX.4.4 /20 inch CRT
Finale 2006
Logic Pro 7.1
Yamaha P-150 Electric Piano
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface
berhinger BCF2000 and BCR 2000