Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Scanning Software  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Bill Sveglini
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Sveglini email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill SvegliniAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002
Total Posts : 775

Posted 3/20/2006 3:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings to all.  I am wondering what those of you that do scan are using.  The reason I am asking is that the man that scans in the music and sends midi files to the large singing group in my community says he can scan with Smartscore and he has a 1% error rate in the scanning.  Are those of you that do scan seeing this type of thing?  Are these the best scanning programs?  Thanks for the help gang.  Please be well and have a great day.  Billsmilewinkgrin

Bill Sveglini - Desktop - Finale 2006C - TG Tools Pro- Garritan Personal Orchestra(NOT installed yet) - Pentium Dual Core with 4 gig of Ram - 500 gig drive - Creative XFi sound - Windows XP Home and
2006C with Windows XP home on laptop - Pentium IV 3.2 ghz. - 1 gig of ram  - HP4650dn Printer
FCOF=Finale Challenged Old Fart 

lmscott
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit lmscott's website.Send a Private Message to lmscottAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 95

Posted 3/20/2006 4:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought Sharpeye a couple of months ago. I like its ability to save the scanned music in xml format, which I then open in finale. I have had mixed eperience with it - on clean scores, it is very convenient with little or no errors. Recently I tried something not so "clean" and ended up spending more time in finale cleanup than I cared to. So, it depends on the clarity of the original scanned music. Also, I do not consider myself expert in sharpeye, so I might be missing some things about pre-finale cleanup. I never tried Smartscore - just the free version, which I found totally useless. I think scanning can save alot of time. Maybe its because my entry speed, using speedy and a midi keyboard is not as fast as it could be. I do suspect that lots of folks here can enter music just as fast as scanning.
Linda

Windows xp, Finale 2006

Post Edited (lmscott) : 3/21/2006 3:31:01 PM (GMT-6)

Bob Stiffler
Registered Member

Click to send Bob Stiffler email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob StifflerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 269

Posted 3/21/2006 2:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill:

I have done quite a few A-B tests with Sharpeye and SmartScore. I recommend Sharpeye.. and yes, I get a lot of perfect reads on good quality printed material

Bob Stiffler

Bill Sveglini
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Sveglini email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill SvegliniAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002

Posted 3/21/2006 3:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Linda and Bob.  This is one of the next things I have to get up and running.  I also wanted to ask what you are using for scanners.  From what I am hearing there is a problem with HP scanners for soing music?  They are supposed to be good stuff so I guess I don't understand what the problem is.  Is Sharpeye around the same price as the Smartscore?  Thanks again for the help and I will post how it is going after I get a scanner.  Any reccomendations on brands for music scanning?  Be well and please have a great day.  Billsmilewinkgrin

Bill Sveglini - Desktop - Finale 2006C - TG Tools Pro- Garritan Personal Orchestra(NOT installed yet) - Pentium Dual Core with 4 gig of Ram - 500 gig drive - Creative XFi sound - Windows XP Home and
2006C with Windows XP home on laptop - Pentium IV 3.2 ghz. - 1 gig of ram  - HP4650dn Printer

Bob Stiffler
Registered Member

Click to send Bob Stiffler email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob StifflerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 269

Posted 3/21/2006 4:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill:

Sharpeye is about $160. You may find it bundled with the "Dolet" program which converts the Sharpeye XML file into Finale. However the "Dolet" light program included with Finale 2005 has handled my needs nicely. Note that the "Dolet" light program in Finale 2006 does not know how to translate "Gm7..Cm7..etc chords correctly. I use a "Microtek" "Scanmaker 4900" which I paid about $150. I am pleased with it's performance. " Microtek" was recommended to me by an OCR tech. Note that Sharpeye has a 30 day free trial...Also, if you get this stuff, I would be glad to visit on the phone. I can save you a bunch of frustration

Bob Stiffler

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 3/21/2006 4:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem with HP scanners was actually the scanning software rather than the scanner itself - apparently when you told it to scan in black and white (no grey scale) (which is what Smartscore needs for input), whenever it came to something that was not completely black it tried to give a grey effect by half-toning, in other words a mixture of black and white dots. Understandably all these little dots caused chaos with the recognition software.

Both Smartscore and Sharpeye full versions can now handle scans in grey-scale, so this is no longer a problem and they should basically work with any scanner, although I see that the Smartscore website recommends avoiding all-in-one type combination printer-scanners. The Smartscore Lite that is bundled with Finale is still AFAIK limited to black and white scans, so Canon or Epson flat-bed scanners are safest if you want to try its (limited) capabilities.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004 and bug-free 2006, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/21/2006 4:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Sveglini said...
Hello Linda and Bob. This is one of the next things I have to get up and running. I also wanted to ask what you are using for scanners. From what I am hearing there is a problem with HP scanners for soing music? They are supposed to be good stuff so I guess I don't understand what the problem is. Is Sharpeye around the same price as the Smartscore? Thanks again for the help and I will post how it is going after I get a scanner. Any reccomendations on brands for music scanning? Be well and please have a great day. Bill smilewinkgrin

I also get great results with SharpEye. But since you can try SharpEye out free for 30 days, I recommend you do so before you start putting the money down. That way you'll know if the music you have and the scanner can make an effective combination with SharpEye.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Bill Sveglini
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2002

Posted 3/21/2006 5:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Tyler.  Any idea what most folks are using for scanners?  I am in a lost zone on this. I have heard don't get the best, don't get the worst or cheapest and don't get HP as there are some kinds of problems usually.  Will a regular scanner that is kind of middle of the road in quality do ok?  I have seen them from $150 to over $1,000.00.......  I don't need super fancy.  Just something that is reliable and won't start going bonkers on me.  Thanks and please have a great day to all the folks here.  Billsmilewinkgrin

lmscott
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit lmscott's website.Send a Private Message to lmscottAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 3/21/2006 5:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a canon - canoscan 8400f. I got it within the last 6 months, and have been happy with it. It is less than $200 - mayber $150?. It has a very short warmup time, which is nice. I didn't have any trouble or problems wtih setup of the scanner or sharpeye, athough I would probably get more out of sharpeye if I read the manual :)
Linda

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 3/21/2006 6:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've had an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner for a couple of years and am very happy with it. I have only used it a couple of times for music, but it seemed to do OK. I'm not sure what the current model is --- may still be 2400 --- they cost less than $100.

The only limitation that might concern you is that it is limited to a maximum size of 8.5" x 11.7". You can still scan 9" x 12" music, but you have to carefully "overlap" the sheet on the scanner bed so that all you lose is extra margin blank spaces.

I've had other scanners, including HP, and am sold now on Epson products as being the best "bang for the buck." This is my second Epson scanner.

Finale 2003, 2005, (2006 - installed but not used)

Gary Daggett
Registered Member

Click to send Gary Daggett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary DaggettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 68

Posted 3/21/2006 8:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I was actually able to manipulate some poor copies of sheet music (because I couldn't find my original sheet music) in Sharpeye 2.67 and got very useable results. The left margins of the copies I found had the left bar lines faded out or missing and the pages were tilted and not straight. I drew in the left bar lines with a fine marker and got the pages fairly straight in my scanner and was pleasantly surprised by the 11 page result of 3 pages with no errors and 8 with a couple of missed notes that were easy to correct. Lyrics & chords are noticeably improved with this last update. I use a Microtek Scanmaker 4800 set to 300dpi/line art and normally no correction on darkness. If I have poor recognition, I will go to 600dpi and darken the scan about 20%

Gary

Gary Daggett
Finale 2003a 2005a, 2006c, Windows 2000, Santa Cruz sound card

Jeannie
'Tis Herself - I have the tee shirt to prove it!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JeannieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 1863

Posted 3/21/2006 9:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have an Epson Photo 1660 and as a scanner, it would make a good frisbee. I've had two Epson products (the other was a Photo 820 printer) and had nothing but trouble with both. I replaced the printer with an HP 1300 LaserJet and have been happy with it. The scanner I don't use enough to warrant replacement...yet...but I frequently have to pull it apart and retime it. The software is also less than impressive.

Jeannie

Guild of the Common Chaps http://home.earthlink.net/~chapbooks/

Muses Guild http://musesguild.tripod.com/index.htm

PrintMusic 2004 (ex-user of the buggy PM 2006), XP Home

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/22/2006 12:06 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Sveglini said...
Hello Tyler. Any idea what most folks are using for scanners? I am in a lost zone on this. I have heard don't get the best, don't get the worst or cheapest and don't get HP as there are some kinds of problems usually. Will a regular scanner that is kind of middle of the road in quality do ok? I have seen them from $150 to over $1,000.00....... I don't need super fancy. Just something that is reliable and won't start going bonkers on me. Thanks and please have a great day to all the folks here. Bill smilewinkgrin

Others may have specific suggestions. I think most scanners work fine now. Windows even provides its own software that works with most scanners, so the old HP issues probably aren't problems any more. I suggest buying the biggest scanner in the $100-$150 range you can find.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Bill Sveglini
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2002

Posted 3/23/2006 1:10 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings to all the folks that helped.  How hard is it to do multiple paged scans of one piece? Can you see a tiff of the final output?  Thanks guys.  Have a great day and be well.  Billsmilewinkgrin

lmscott
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 3/23/2006 2:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Its pretty easy (with sharpeye). After you scan in all your pages, you can batch process all the pages in sharpeye. sharpeye "reads" the tiff, and creates a new file for each page. As you open page one in sharpeye, an image of the tiff is also opened, so you have it there for checking. Then you can open p. 2 and so on, appending the pages to create one long sharpeye file. Save as xml, and open in finale.
Linda

Windows xp, Finale 2006