Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > I have a pdf file that was sent to me how do I convert into finale  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

fosterl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to fosterlAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/17/2006 6:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a file that was sent to my mail box as a pdf file, how do I convert that back into finale

Brad H
Registered Member

Click to send Brad H email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Brad HAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 837

Posted 7/17/2006 7:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are several scanning programs out there, like Smart Score, which I paid 200 bucks for and never could make work,but you might investigate them, I gave up on it pretty quickly. Otherwise, unless somebody knows something I don't, you've just got to reenter it. But if the PDF was extracted from a Finale file, couldn't they just attach a .MUS file instead?

Brad Hufft
Finale 2006, 2005, 2004
Lecturer of Music
California State University, Fresno

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 7/17/2006 7:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Simple answer: you can't. Sorry. You can try printing it and scanning it back in, but from what I've read on this site, scanning is pretty problematic, and most folks seem to say it's faster just to re-enter the notes.

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2006 on the PC
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 7/17/2006 7:34 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Simple answer: you can't. Sorry. You can try printing it and scanning it back in, but from what I've read on this site, scanning is pretty problematic, and most folks seem to say it's faster just to re-enter the notes.

That's right, so you have two choices:

1) Get the author to send you a .MUS, .MID or .XML version, or

2) Get out your MIDI keyboard, go into Speedy or Simple, and get typing... :-)

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

Gary Daggett
Registered Member

Click to send Gary Daggett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary DaggettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 68

Posted 7/17/2006 9:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Depends on what you use to scan it in with. The included scanning program is very "lite" and doesn't work. I can only speak about the one that I have experience with (Sharpeye) and it is very good. But you have to spend more money to get this to work :o(

Gary Daggett
Finale 2003a 2005a, 2006c, Windows 2000, Santa Cruz sound card

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 7/18/2006 1:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ebony Ivory said...
Mike Rosen said...

That's right, so you have two choices:

1) Get the author to send you a .MUS, .MID or .XML version, or

2) Get out your MIDI keyboard, go into Speedy or Simple, and get typing... :-)

Brian

Actually, there is a third choice whereby you can get that PDF file into Finale. I have done it; however, success will depend on the quality of the pdf, just as it does on the quality of a scan.

You need a program that will let you "print" the PDF document as a TIFF file, which can then be imported into Finale just as if it were a scanned TIFF file. I used Microsoft Office Document Image Writer which shows as one of my printer options when I select the Print command. It came with MS Office or MS Publisher, don't remember which --- but I'm sure there are lots of free and inexpensive programs that will also do it.

Finale 2003, 2005, 2006

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 7/18/2006 7:02 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PDFCreator will also produce TIFF format files (also GIF, PNG, JPG, PCX, PS and EPS) and it's free.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004 and 2006, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB
2nd Tenor Cape Town Male Voice Choir

Ebony Ivory

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 7/18/2006 7:11 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fritz & Dick - my point was addressing the comment:

Mike Rosen said...
but from what I've read on this site, scanning is pretty problematic, and most folks seem to say it's faster just to re-enter the notes.

with which I totally agree!

Brian

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 7/18/2006 8:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I, too, agree with that in most cases --- especially when the PDF is a result of scanning. However, if your original PDF comes from another program's notation (Sib, BIAB, Melody Asst, etc.) the PDF-Print to TIFF method can give you very good results.

Finale 2003, 2005, 2006

Ebony Ivory

Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 7/18/2006 8:37 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dick Brodfuehrer said...
I, too, agree with that in most cases --- especially when the PDF is a result of scanning. However, if your original PDF comes from another program's notation (Sib, BIAB, Melody Asst, etc.) the PDF-Print to TIFF method can give you very good results.

Most of my scanning experiments have been made by "printing" Finale and Encore scores to PDF (via PDFWriter) or to Postscript, and then using PhotoShop to convert these into TIF format; I've also tried scanning real material. But in both cases, I'm still not thrilled with the results!

Brian

Brad H
Registered Member

Click to send Brad H email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Brad HAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 837

Posted 7/18/2006 12:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd like to hear more from people who've had success with scanning. I have the full version of Smart Score, but I will admit, I gave up on it rather quickly, simply because it wasn't a priority. Still, I'd like to know how to do it. On another question; I'm attempting to teach myself Digital Performer and it's going poorly. Either I'm completely dense (which is certainly a reasonable likelihood) or their proprietary user's manual leaves out numerous steps. Does anyone know of some good step by step tutorials that would give me a rudimentary understanding of this program?

Brad Hufft
Finale 2006, 2005, 2004
Lecturer of Music
California State University, Fresno

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 7/18/2006 1:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The success you have with scanning depends on the quality of your scanning software, the print quality of the original source music, and your expertise with Finale. If you're fast with Finale and use it regularly, scanning may not be that much help. But it can be an enormous time-saver for those who are less frequent users of Finale, and who aren't as quick with it as full-time users.

All scanning software is not created equal. You may want to try out SharpEye Music Reader for free for 30 days to see if you get better results:

http://store.recordare.com/sharpeye2.html

This will work with either Finale or PrintMusic 2006. You save MusicXML files from SharpEye, then read them into Finale or PrintMusic. SharpEye does not handle PDFs directly, so you will need a graphics program to separate the PDF file into individual TIFF files for each page before doing the music scanning.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC