Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Alternate ending sections  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1684

Posted 7/22/2006 1:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm looking for the clearest way to set up an alternate ending. The piece has the structure:

AABBACCDD.

Each of the sections has a 1st and 2nd ending.  I would like to have an alternate version of the D section. My thought so far is to put a Coda Sign just before the first ending of C, with the other Coda sign giving the revised 2nd ending for C, then the alternate DD section.  I would also put a bold line between the original D section and the alternate D section.  Finally I'll include a performance note explaining what's supposed to happen.

Any other ideas?  (I can post a picture if that would help)

Thanks.

Terence
Using Finale 2003a, Windows 2000 XP Home

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 7/22/2006 2:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

There are plenty of ways of doing this.  My preference would be to write the whole thing out with no repeats.  That usually results in the best sight-reading performance.  If you MUST repeat everything that repeats, you will have a very complex road map, possibly containing two DSs.  A slight modification involves writing out A3 and results in the attached example.  I think the "alternate coda" is fairly self explanatory.  Don't count on anyone reading your rehearsal notes.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, XP

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
aabbaccdd.jpg
  75KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 314 time(s).

File Attachment :
aabbaccdd.MUS   45KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 275 time(s).

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 7/22/2006 2:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tbmartin said...
AABBACCDD.

Ah! Classic Scott Joplin!! :-)

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/22/2006 6:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, Joseph Lamb. But Ragtime, definately!

Terence

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/22/2006 6:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doug Blackmore said...

There are plenty of ways of doing this.  My preference would be to write the whole thing out with no repeats.  That usually results in the best sight-reading performance.  If you MUST repeat everything that repeats, you will have a very complex road map, possibly containing two DSs.  A slight modification involves writing out A3 and results in the attached example.  I think the "alternate coda" is fairly self explanatory.  Don't count on anyone reading your rehearsal notes.

I always write out the A3 section and label it "A (Reprise)"  With that, your solution is almost the same as what I had come up with. Many thanks.

Terence

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 7/23/2006 4:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tbmartin said...
Actually, Joseph Lamb. But Ragtime, definately!

Glad my radar wasn't too far off then! :-)

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long