Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Garritan Jazz and Big Band  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Corte
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CorteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 26

Posted 8/21/2007 5:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello,

I'm looking for a little advice out there from people that have purchased the full version of the Garritan Jazz and Big Band set. I know that Finale 2008 already has some of these instruments added but for those of you that dropped the $250 for the full version, was it worth it?

I'm not quite sure what the overlap in instrumentation is. I called Garritan and asked if I could get a discount since I had some of the sounds in Finale already. They offered a $25 discount. I was hoping for a bit more but $25 is certainly better than nothing.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 8/21/2007 10:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was disappointed when I heard some JABB instruments would be included with Finale2008, because I had already purchased JABB. However, the offering that comes "free" with Finale is pitiful. For example, there are only two saxes. You don't get a solo euphonium--the only offering is a "euphonium section." The one drum kit offered is missing many instruments. And so it goes.

So, I guess it depends on what you are looking for in JABB. I am an "classical orchestral" composer, but I still find that the instruments included with Finale do not give me the full range of instruments from the JABB library that I want to use.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2008, full GPO & JABB
Win XP/Pro, 2.7 GHz processor, 2 Gb RAM

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 8/21/2007 10:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi.
As with Finale 2007, the Garritan Instruments are just a sample of the full sets available with the full versions. They are there to entice people to buy the complete version.

I think that fewer of the JABB instruments were included because a smattering of Marching band and World instruments were included as well.

The included instruments are ample for small/uncomplicated scores. However, for full orchestral or full band scores, the full Garritan versions are definitely the way to go.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006,2007,2008 - WinXP

tim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to timAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 692

Posted 8/22/2007 2:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you write Jazz, esp big and, there is no real alternative out there. I have lots of libraries but for checking notes out of scores nothing is as good as the Garritan stuff. It is cheap, it is not a hog on computer power and it integrates well with finale. They may not be some of the glossiest samples out there but they work. Also, there is nothing out that has all the saxes and 5 different trumpets, thus avoiding phasing issues.

Spend the money.

Tim

Corte
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CorteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 26

Posted 8/22/2007 6:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ron,

Were you able to mix the Garritan Jazz sounds with the Garritan Personal Orchestra sounds?

Corte

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/22/2007 6:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Corte said...
Ron,

Were you able to mix the Garritan Jazz sounds with the Garritan Personal Orchestra sounds?

Corte

No problem at all. I have started a couple of projects since getting F2008 and I use instruments from both full GPO and JABB (no reason I couldn't use the choral warbles from GPO for Finale as well). The key here is the Kontakt 2 Player which doesn't care what libraries the instruments come from as long as they are VST instruments registered with NI.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

crazykey
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to crazykeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 33

Posted 9/29/2007 11:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hello Ron

You have obviously integrated with success your Garritan Libraries into your work with Finale 2008.

I own and enjoy Finale 2007 completed by both Garritan personal orchestra and Jazz Orchestra However when I enter Music from my keyboard controller sometimes it works. However. For no apparent reason then suddenly the note are stacked vertically one over the others , like a big fat ridiculous chords. No horizontal motion anymore. horizontal paralysis  This contrast with the nice and easy use of Garritan Stuff when using speedy entry or Simple entry with Midi

I guess something is wrong in my Midi set-up, the most usual being Piano on ch 1 and GM drums in  ch 10.

My soundcard is a Presonus firebox working perfectly well otherwise and with other programs

Can you, or anybody else be king enough to help me. It must be some trick that eludes me! 

I urgently nee some help for that frustrating problem

Best Regards

Crazykeys

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 9/30/2007 7:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Corte said...
.....but for those of you that dropped the $250 for the full version, was it worth it?

..... They offered a $25 discount. I was hoping for a bit more but $25 is certainly better than nothing.

Any comments would be appreciated!

I would wait until year end before buying it. For the last couple of years they've run a special in December. I can't remember what I paid, but it was well under $225.

Finale 2008, XP Pro, 1GB, full GPO, JABB

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/30/2007 11:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
crazykey said...
<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Hello Ron<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"> <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">You have obviously integrated with success your Garritan Libraries into your work with Finale 2008. <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">I own and enjoy Finale 2007 completed by both Garritan personal orchestra and Jazz Orchestra However when I enter Music from my keyboard controller sometimes it works. However. For no apparent reason then suddenly the note are stacked vertically one over the others , like a big fat ridiculous chords. No horizontal motion anymore. horizontal paralysis This contrast with the nice and easy use of Garritan Stuff when using speedy entry or Simple entry with Midi<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">I guess something is wrong in my Midi set-up, the most usual being Piano on ch 1 and GM drums in ch 10.<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">My soundcard is a Presonus firebox working perfectly well otherwise and with other programs

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Can you, or anybody else be king enough to help me. It must be some trick that eludes me! <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">I urgently nee some help for that frustrating problem

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">

Best Regards

Crazykeys

<o:p></o:p>

Sorry I can't help. I tried entry from a midi keyboard for a while, but I found it was very unreliable and cumbersome, so I went back to my combination for simple and speedy entry. By using mouse and (computer) keyboard I get exactly what I want.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

tim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to timAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 9/30/2007 2:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Crazykey

I have had trouble in the past with midi devices that use the built in windows WDM midi drivers. For example my new computer has an RME card that finale hates. I also tried a USB midi interface that uses the WDM driver and it also missed notes and had some delay sometimes. Then I put one of my old m-audio ones on that has it's own driver and all is perfect.

Tim

raweber
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to raweberAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 48

Posted 10/1/2007 7:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tim said...
If you write Jazz, esp big and, there is no real alternative out there. I have lots of libraries but for checking notes out of scores nothing is as good as the Garritan stuff.
Well, I bet that Broadway Big Band sounds as good or better, but I'm certainly not about to drop $2300 on it.

That being said, the demos for First Call horns are very impressive (more impressive than the Garritan JABB demos, which still sound like synthesizers.) Anyone have any experience with First Call? They're price competitive with JABB.

Rob in Peoria
Poser Composer
Finale 2008 (lovin' the Garritan samples), Power Tracks Pro Audio, tons of free VSTi's

tim
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 10/2/2007 1:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree that the Garritan demos do not do it any justice and those other libraries have a bigger more produced sound. But when it comes to checking notes out of a big band score you need to have a separate patch for each line or it will phase on unisons. The Garritan is the only one that has this. So for playing back a score, without making any edits for the playback, I still think it is the best option. Plus it is economical on the computer. I recently tried out the VSL saxophones and they sound really good. But there are only 3 of them.

Tim

raweber
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to raweberAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/2/2007 4:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That makes sense - but I'm looking for a recording tool, not a writing tool. I can't afford to rent a horn section for a session or two, so this needs to be my go-to horn section.

Has anyone done a track with the Garritan horns that sound really big and hot?

Rob in Peoria
Poser Composer
Finale 2008 (lovin' the Garritan samples), Power Tracks Pro Audio, tons of free VSTi's

Playflute
Life is a take...

Click to send Playflute email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PlayfluteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add Serge to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 267

Posted 10/3/2007 12:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I choose First Call Horns for recording (as with Sonar or Cubase) !! -unless I need that special high trumpet that comes with JABB...
As I would choose EastWest Quantum Leaps Symphonic Orchestra gold over GPO for recording....especially since I also own a receptor from Muse research now...
But Garritan JABB fits nicely with GPO and the FInale instruments from GPO within the NI Kontakt II and within the finale setup wizard. So for the sake of rendering notation I think the latter combination is just fantastic.
Best !

Serge

Acer1703/2.66Gb/1Gb/WinXPHome-sp2/F2007c/F2008/TGTools

Post Edited (Playflute) : 10/3/2007 1:03:01 AM (GMT-5)

crazykey
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to crazykeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005

Posted 10/16/2007 5:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hello Serge,

From what you write First call horn seems an excellent library for recording.

On the Big Fish Site, they present two formats:

• GigaStudio    
  • Kontakt Player 2/Plug-in 

If I want to use it for recording with Cubase 4 which one should I buy and how do I proceed to use it as compared with Garritan's library easily selected within as VST instruments?

Hopeful and grateful for your help

Best regards

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 10/16/2007 8:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

Personally, I would go for the Kontakt Player version for one reason. It a Kontakt sample library, so it will be useable from within Finale. While you may want to do your recording from Cubase, you will be able to create custom HP techniques for artictulations and expressions and you will also be able to edit the instruments.txt to add the Horns to the Finale Wizard.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006,2007,2008 - WinXP

crazykey
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005

Posted 10/21/2007 1:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks a lot Daz

ronboy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronboyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005

Posted 10/23/2007 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It all sounds good but can I use the Quantum Leap/EastWest Silver XP orchestra libraries instead of the GPO with Finale 2008? This is the question of the YEAR for me! I have the JABB library that I'll use for the jazz stuff!