Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Percussion playback  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 11/12/2007 9:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I notate percussion on the bass clef, usually a middle D. I show which instrument it is at any given time with a measure expression: "Triangle," "Cymbals," etc.

I've never done percussion playback in Finale. I gather that one uses channel 10, where each pitch results in a different instrument. Is there a way to set playback for triangle, cymbals, etc., in the measure expression so that the D will play the correct instrument?

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 11/12/2007 9:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

Just re-read you post.

Tricky...

Use a percussion map with different position settings for the two instruments for entering. Once the score has been totally entered and checked, edit the map to re-position the triangle and cymbal to the desired staff positions. This will automatically move the notes to the desired lines.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006,2007,2008 - WinXP

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/13/2007 12:13 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...and with 2006 and later, you do not have to use channel 10 unless you want to conform to standard midi. Otherwise, you can use whatever channels for percussion that you like. Just as well, as I sometimes have 6 or 8 channels devoted to percussion.

To get all the instruments to play back correctly on D, you'd need a separate channel for each instrument so that you could use an expression to switch channels. I don't know how else you'd do it.

I find it easier just to use single-line staffs (sharing a channel), or map several instruments to different positions on a percussion staff.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2008, full GPO & JABB
Win XP/Pro, 2.7 GHz processor, 2 Gb RAM

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 11/13/2007 12:33 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just Ron said...
To get all the instruments to play back correctly on D, you'd need a separate channel for each instrument so that you could use an expression to switch channels. I don't know how else you'd do it.

The percussion map will look after that for you.
The only problem that I could foresee was actual note entry using simple and mouse I do.

Above are the settings (based on the "General Midi Entry and Playback" percussion Map). These work well, and will playback on the same staff.
As I say, using my method of entry, I first have the staff positions on different lines, then set them to what is shown when note entry is complete.

Cheers...

------------------------

Post Edited (Daz) : 11/12/2007 10:36:18 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
perc_map_shr_1.jpg
  56KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 217 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
perc_map_shr_2.jpg
  57KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 215 time(s).

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 11/13/2007 1:05 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Further to the above, in editing/creating the score I would set the percussion map to have the open triangle as posted above, and the ride cymbal as below

Note entry would look something like this:

Once finished entering in the notes, I would re-set the ride to what I had posted previously (set the staff position to 6)

applying the updated perc map results in the following

Cheers...

------------------------

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
perc_map_shr_3.jpg
  56KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 207 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
perc_map_shr_4.jpg
  19KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 205 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
perc_map_shr_5a.jpg
  20KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 215 time(s).

Daz
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 11/13/2007 1:08 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're interested (and have Finale/Notepad 2k8), attached is the .mus file for the above

Cheers...

------------------------

File Attachment :
perc_map_shr.MUS   45KB (application/x-macbinary)
This file has been downloaded 285 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 11/13/2007 5:06 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool! I'll check it out. Thanks.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/13/2007 2:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Daz,

What you proposed is what I meant by: map several instruments to different positions on a percussion staff. You explained it much better than I did.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2008, full GPO & JABB
Win XP/Pro, 2.7 GHz processor, 2 Gb RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/13/2007 2:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You don't need to start with the notes on different places on the staff. It is better to start with the map set up already. If you are using a MIDI keyboard, then you've taken care of entry.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/13/2007 12:57:40 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Percussion on D.MUS   63KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 269 time(s).

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 11/17/2007 9:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I would think the easiest way is to use a staff style. You can configure each instrument in it's own staff style to appear on the middle staff line in the percusison map.

Cheers,

Tim