Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > At little OT: creating attractive borders on title pages  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 1/28/2008 1:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a question for those of you who are in the publishing business or self publish.

How can I create or find on the web a means of putting a nice border on my music's front cover?   I've looked through dozen of freeware and other such sites for downloading borders and border art but these are way too complicated.  (I dont' need flowers or birthday cakes.... I just want a professional looking dark border.... but not just straight lines.)  You'd think that someone has come up with something simple but more involved than just the straight dark lines that come with Word Perfect.  (Which is what I use right now.)

Any links or hints?

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2008
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Also... GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, Kontakt 2.2, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, Marimba, percussion, Giovani, Anthrology Celtic Winds and Spiritual Winds, complete Kirk Hunter orchestral library, Kirk Hunter Diamond Library, Garritan Concert and Marching band, Garritan Stradiveri violin and Gofriller cello with very limited knowledge of how to use them but waiting to learn on a new power mac computer.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

Craig Keyes
Charts-R-Us

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 311

Posted 1/28/2008 3:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator which are graphic editing applications. They use brushes which will provide a multitude of line styles that can be used to draw a border.
There are less expensive versions as well like Photoshop Elements that will do an excellent job with your cover page. They also do an amazing job with text and graphics.

Finale 2008a
TG Tools Pro 2.45
Win Vista Home Premium
HP 9800 wide-format printer
on Exact Bristol Vellum 67 lb. Ivory
paper 13" x 19" 2-up

Jeannie
'Tis Herself - I have the tee shirt to prove it!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JeannieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 1863

Posted 1/28/2008 6:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Try googling 'border graphics" to find border graphics you like then insert or paste them on your title page. Be sure, however, to check the fine print on allowed use of the graphics. Most free sites will let you use their graphics on a personal web page, personal stationery, etc. but will not allow commercial use.

Microsoft has free border graphic clip art I didn't see any restrictions on at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/results.aspx?qu=borders&sc=21#0. Most of them are pretty childish for your use but in the first 20 pages I breezed through I saw a few you might like. There are over 1200 of them so you should get lucky.

Jeannie

Allegro 2005 (ex-user of the buggy PM 2006), XP Home

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1684

Posted 1/28/2008 9:29 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
chambermusic said...
 (I dont' need flowers or birthday cakes....  

... and what's WRONG with flowers and birthday cakes??  But seriously, I use just one of the basic borders available in Microsoft word. It happens to look a lot like the border on those yellow-covered piano exercise books like Hannon's. I bet it's available, and others just as understated and professional-looking, at that Microsoft site. (Yes, you'll have to wade through balloons, palm trees and stars, ...)

Terence
Using Finale 2003a, Windows 2000 XP Pro

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 1/28/2008 10:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Border Fonts are available from the major font vendors. See here:

www.fonts.com/aboutfonts/articles/fyti/borderfonts.htm

That way, you don't have to buy and learn a drawing program.

N.

EDIT: This link may not get you to the page I found, but if you type "Border Fonts" into the search box, that will get you there.

Finale 2006c
TgTools, Patterson Plugins, QuicKeys X3
Mac Mini 1.25ghz PPC - OSX 10.4.11

Post Edited (N. Grossingink) : 1/28/2008 8:06:43 AM (GMT-6)

Stephen Henry
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stephen HenryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 238

Posted 1/28/2008 7:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here's a link to a small application I found that allows you to create ornamental borders easily:

http://www.graphictype.co.uk/index.php

The actual application is a free download BUT the specialized fonts you need are not. They go for around £10.00 per set (sadly, about $20.00 US currently).

Another possibility to consider is good ol' Dover Publications. They offer a vast and rich collection of clip art on over 300 CD-ROMs. They have half a dozen or so discs of borders and frames in various styles. Their item number 0-486-99975-0 has 372 borders and frames for $15.00, for example. However, these are culled from 19th and early 20th century publications and periodicals and so many might be regarded as of fairly ephemeral artistic value.

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-clip-art-and-design-on-cd-rom.html

Hope this helps.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/28/2008 8:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeannie said...
Try googling 'border graphics" to find border graphics you like then insert or paste them on your title page. Be sure, however, to check the fine print on allowed use of the graphics. Most free sites will let you use their graphics on a personal web page, personal stationery, etc. but will not allow commercial use.

Microsoft has free border graphic clip art I didn't see any restrictions on at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/results.aspx?qu=borders&sc=21#0. Most of them are pretty childish for your use but in the first 20 pages I breezed through I saw a few you might like. There are over 1200 of them so you should get lucky.

Thanks for the reference, Jeannie. I almost died of a Saccharin overdose by the time I looked at them all, but I did find a few usable ones.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2008a, full GPO & JABB
Win XP/Pro, 2.7 GHz processor, 2 Gb RAM

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/28/2008 8:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just reopened one of the first programs I (and probably a lot of you) bought way back when: Broderbund PrintShop Deluxe. It has quite a few borders, some of them very tasteful and usable. You also have full text insert capabilities. I suspect that this simple program is lurking on the shelves of many of you, and I suggest you give it another look!
I don't know how you would incorporate it into finale, but I would just do the title page in PrintShop, PDF it, and merge it into the Finale PDF file for printing or saving.

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/28/2008 8:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do covers with Microsoft Word, which lets you add graphics.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 1/28/2008 8:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Everyone.... Thanks!

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2008
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Also... GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, Kontakt 2.2, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, Marimba, percussion, Giovani, Anthrology Celtic Winds and Spiritual Winds, complete Kirk Hunter orchestral library, Kirk Hunter Diamond Library, Garritan Concert and Marching band, Garritan Stradiveri violin and Gofriller cello with very limited knowledge of how to use them but waiting to learn on a new power mac computer.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!