Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Tape for attaching single sheets of music  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

twofiveone
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to twofiveoneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 121

Posted 2/15/2008 1:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone,

I realize this is an unrelated topic. That having been typed, I could not think of a better place to look for an answer.

I am looking for a GOOD brand of tape to combine single sheets of music. I got the last batch from Judy Green Music, but would prefer not to spend $15 or more on a single roll if I can avoid it. The tapes they sell should be available from another source without the price premium. I've examined the rolls and found a product number but it does not match any of the product numbers on the 3M web site.

I am not interested in using transparent, or masking tape as these products do not suit my needs. Any suggestions?.

Thanks,

Allen

Finale 2008a and GJBB
Finale 2007c and GJBB
Finale 2006c and GJBB
Finale 2.2 - Finale 2005 inclusive

Intel Core Duo 3.0 Ghz.
2 Gigabytes Ram
Windows XP SP2
Audigy IV
Nvidia 8800GT

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 2/15/2008 2:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I get mine from a library supply house. They have a large variety of tapes, cloth, tyvec, hinged, nonhinged, etc. Here is a link:
www.shopbrodart.com/shop/toc/toc.aspx?nodeid=859df7eda6ad48feadfd907f3ae75b7b&toc=sub_bcrepair

Finale 2006

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it
-- W.C. Fields

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
-- Steven Wright

Craig Keyes
Charts-R-Us

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 311

Posted 2/15/2008 3:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While I'm not sure of the exact specifications of your ideal tape, have you tried the artist supply stores, like Michael's, Dick Blick, etc.

I was thinking artist's tape like here. Good Luck.

Finale 2008a
TG Tools Pro 2.45
Win Vista Home Premium
HP 9800 wide-format printer
on Exact Bristol Vellum 67 lb. Ivory
paper 13" x 19" 2-up

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/15/2008 5:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've used "Artists Tape" and it worked pretty well. I think cloth tape as is used in libraries might be more flexible and durable, though.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Graeme Gilmore
Registered Member

Click to send Graeme Gilmore email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Graeme GilmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 371

Posted 2/15/2008 9:41 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Over the years Artist's Tape has been recommended on the forums. It is generally available from artiist supply stores It holds well, but is easily removed. For tape with a hinge, there is Bodart Tyvec Single-Stitch Binder Tape http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/Product.aspx?pgID=541. Another source is http://www.npcimaging.com/Misc/Miscprods.htm. A Google search on "music binding tape" also brings up most of these options.

Graeme

Finale 2008a.r1, Windows Vista Home Primium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins. (I would use Forza! Lite if available)

twofiveone
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to twofiveoneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999

Posted 2/15/2008 11:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

My 'ideal' tape does not dry out or discolor like transparent tape, and should remain flexible without degrading through repeated folding and unfolding in the course of normal usage by musicians performing in a big band/commercial venue 20 - 30 times a year.

I located the brand of tape I've been using. It is 3M 256 Masking Tape (1/2 inch x 60 yds.). After doing a little searching I was able to find it for $8.55 a roll in quantities of 12. A much better price than some of the music retailers wanted ($13.50 and up per roll).

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-11914&ref=6150A

Allen

Finale 2008a and GJBB
Finale 2007c and GJBB
Finale 2006c and GJBB

Intel Core Duo 3.0 Ghz.
2 Gigabytes Ram
Windows XP SP2
Audigy IV
Nvidia 8800GT

Post Edited (twofiveone) : 2/15/2008 10:20:25 PM (GMT-6)

Jeremy Levy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeremy Levy's website.Send a Private Message to Jeremy LevyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 811

Posted 2/16/2008 3:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Allen,

I'm not sure where you live, but most of us in LA get our tape at a place called Pacific Radio. They're an industry supply store for cables and gear. We use 1/4" tape for parts and 1/2" tape for binding scores. I don't have the brand in front of me, but it's the stuff you would use to write track names on a mixing board. It's a little thicker, opaque, and is easy to lay out on large 11x17 scores. I go through boat loads of the stuff and it's under $5 a roll.

http://www.pacrad.com/

Jeremy

Jeremy Levy
Trombonist, Composer/Arranger, Copyist
Glendale, CA
www.jlevymusic.com
Mac Pro - Quad Core 2.66 GHz
5 GB RAM
Finale 2007c & 2008
Sibelius 4 & 5
Logic Pro 7.2.3
Digital Performer 5.12
Kontakt 2.23

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/16/2008 3:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>3M 256 Masking Tape

I don't know this specific tape, but normally what's called "masking tape" is not good archivally. It eventually gets brittle and the glue gives way. Masking tape traditionally is used for painting, so is designed to be a) cheap, since you use it briefly and throw it away; and b) not too sticky, since you don't want it removing the paint where you've applied it.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

twofiveone
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 1999

Posted 2/21/2008 12:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello again everyone,

I'm on the east coast.

The product I spoke of above, the 3M 256 Masking tape is listed in the masking tape section of the 3M website however, it is not used for general purpose 'masking' like the tape found in your local hardware store. It is thicker and has an adhesive which will not bond as quickly as painter's tape so the tape can be repositioned if necessary. It does bond well with paper when you apply pressure to the fold. I've got charts with this tape that are almost 20 years old and the tape is holding up well. As my arranging / composition output has increased the cost of the tape has become somewhat high. I'd like to find a cheaper solution.

The 'masking' tape I referred to in the above post is listed in the Judy Green catalog as JG 813 White paper tape 1/2" by 60 Yds.

Thanks, I'll give pacific radio a call.

Allen

Finale 2008a and GJBB
Finale 2007c and GJBB
Finale 2006c and GJBB

Intel Core Duo 3.0 Ghz.
2 Gigabytes Ram
Windows XP SP2
Audigy IV
Nvidia 8800GT

Post Edited (twofiveone) : 2/20/2008 10:47:02 PM (GMT-6)