Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Garritan updates and opinion ...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Violinkap
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ViolinkapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 202

Posted 6/26/2008 7:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using Finale 2008a and have two questions:

Q1. I was just wondering if there were any? If there is, how does one go about downloading them?

Q2. Are the sounds in the purchase GPO, Personal Orchestra, from Garritan better then the ones bundled with Finale 2008? If so is it worth purchasing?

Cheers,
Keri-Ann

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 6/26/2008 9:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

There are no updates for the soundset that is included with Finale 2008.

As to your question regarding the Full version of GPO, it really does depend on how much you use orchestral sounds.
You do get a whole heap of extra sounds. An additional violin section and several extra instruments in each section (wind, brass, percussion)
The sounds that are included with Finale are a subset of the full version, plus also some sounds from JABB and CoMB.

I would suggest going to the Garritan web site (www.garritan.com and looking at the sounds included with each package and deciding whether or not you'll use the additional sounds.
I have CoMB and GPO, and am very happy with both.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006,2007,2008 - WinXP

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 6/26/2008 10:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are writing for full orchestra, there is no denying that the full version of GPO is far superiour to the light version included with Finale.

You can purchase the full version right here via MakeMusic's website (and as a Finale user you get a discount).

There are far more versions of each instrument in the full version.

A simple, and convincing example, in the full version you get two folders worth of distinct string section violins: 1st violins, and 2nd violins.

There are more brass instruments, more distinct choices of each one, more possibilities for a larger group with individual KS instruments on each staff.

The same goes for woodwinds, as well as percussion.

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2008a
currently installed: version 3.7.1 (under Win 3.11), 2006c, 2007c, 2008a
Full GPO, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Win XP

Les Éditions du Dos Blanc

Michel R. Edward

Violinkap
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ViolinkapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 202

Posted 6/26/2008 10:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So if I am understanding both replies correctly.

The only difference in the bundle Finale version and the Full GPO version is the amount of instruments and versions, NOT the sound quality.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
Keri-Ann

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 6/26/2008 10:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The full version of GPO gives you several different piano sounds, of which some may be a little better than what is provided in the Finale version.

Gary Garritan is working on a bigger project, sort of a GPO 2 with even better enhances sounds and this may be a wonderful addition to the already great orchestral libraries. I'm sure that GPO 2 will cost a bit, but it may be very well worth the money. I suspect that it will be a spectacular sound library.

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2008b
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives
Apple Mac Pro, 8 quad, 3.2 ghz, 4 hard drives, Apogee duet, two wide screens

Also... GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, Kontakt 3.0, Logic Pro 8, Digital Perfomer 5, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, Marimba, percussion, Giovani, Anthrology Celtic Winds and Spiritual Winds, complete Kirk Hunter orchestral library, Kirk Hunter Diamond Library, Garritan Concert and Marching band, Garritan Stradiveri violin and Gofriller cello, True Strike 1 and True Strike 2 and trying hard to learn the other language of music.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 6/26/2008 12:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As a violinist, I don't see how you can not be impressed by the solo violins that you get with full GPO. There's a Gaglianos ,a Stradivarius, and a Guarneri. Remember all samples are recordings of real instruments. BTW, I am almost finished a violin concerto. I'm using the Guarneri as the soloist. It has a range up to C8 (counting middle C as C4). I have seen complaints on this forum about the Finale-included solo violin being able to go to only D7. Anyhow, the tone is unbelievably good; especially during the rapid cadenza passages.

It's the different sounds of instruments you get with full GPO. The solo oboes do not sound like each other. The solo bassoons have their own unique characteristics, etc.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2008a, full GPO & JABB
Win XP/Pro, 2.7 GHz processor, 2 Gb RAM

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 6/26/2008 12:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And if I may add, as pertains to the "new" Garritan orchestral library, don't hold your breath.

it will not use the Kontakt Player that is used right now by GPO and recognized by Finale.
it will use a new proprietary player (the Aria player) about which I have been unable to get any information what so ever regarding integration wtih Finale.

If all you write is chamber music, then the "light" Finale Edition of GPO MIGHT be sufficient for you.

If you intend on writing for a larger ensemble, then GPO is a great investment.
It is the least expensive sampled library on the market.
Its integration with HumanPlayback and Finale are unequalled on the market at this time.

For the price of an other single orchestral sample library, I am now the happy owner of the Solo Stradivari violin, the Gofriller Solo Cello, the Jazz and Bigband library, the Concert and Marching Band library, and the full version of Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2008a
currently installed: version 3.7.1 (under Win 3.11), 2006c, 2007c, 2008a
Full GPO, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Win XP

Les Éditions du Dos Blanc

Michel R. Edward

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 6/26/2008 1:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Keri-Ann,

I stand corrected. I am using the Strad for the soloist and the Guarn for the concert master. This sample is straight out of the box. No manipulation on my part:

www.ronaldjbrown.com/cf/cadenza_1.mp3

I don't think this can even be played by the solo violin that comes with Finale-GPO.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2008a, full GPO & JABB
Win XP/Pro, 2.7 GHz processor, 2 Gb RAM

fcopaja
Registered Member

Click to send fcopaja email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to fcopajaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add fcopaja@hotmail.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 526

Posted 8/6/2008 2:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recently was given the full GPO, but haven't installed yet. Is it a straight forward process to have finale 2008 ready to use the extra sounds? I haven't found specific documentation on this yet, any advice is very welcome.

Felipe Copaja
Finale 2008
Intel DuoCore 1,6 GHz - 1280 MB
Windows XP SP2

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 8/6/2008 10:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
fcopaja said...
I recently was given the full GPO, but haven't installed yet. Is it a straight forward process to have finale 2008 ready to use the extra sounds? I haven't found specific documentation on this yet, any advice is very welcome.

Hi

Have a look at the answer I posted here... forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=231438

While the question is somewhat different, the answer is relevant to the question you posed.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006,2007,2008 - WinXP