Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Scordatura  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

fcopaja
Registered Member

Click to send fcopaja email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to fcopajaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add fcopaja@hotmail.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 526

Posted 8/5/2008 4:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I couldn't find any topics on this.
I'm with F2008 and need to write a piece for violin and cello that uses scordatura for both instruments:

Descending, F, A, C, F for violin, Bb, Eb, G, C for cello

What should I do in order to have the notes notated as for a non transposing tuning, but sounding transposed?
I also have to deal with cases in wich I have to provide the specific string, and so the playback must recognize it. I mean, for example, a written E could be played on first open string, sounding F, or in the second string, sounding E. On both cases I should indicate which string to use.

Felipe

Felipe Copaja
Finale 2004
Athlon 1 GHz - 512 MB
Windows XP SP2

Taz
Registered Member

Click to send Taz email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 339

Posted 8/6/2008 1:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Felipe,
Mahler's fourth symphony - although I haven't seen the work in many years,
Is it possible to view the work and see how he handled scordatura notation?
I though about your question for a while, and tried, unsuccessfully to reach any solution within Finale.
The issue might be that his work was hand engraved and perhaps Finale cannot do that which you need.
Sorry
Taz

PM 2004, 06, 07, 08
Born & Raised in Devonport, Tasmania.
Sony Vaio - XP,P4, the sound card that came with the PC.

"quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything"

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 8/6/2008 10:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Speaking as a string player, I would like to see "Scordatura E to F, E (down) to A, etc. (I'm assuming you want it tuned down because if you tune it up the string will break) D to C, G to F. Then write a dashed line for the length of the scordatura. If it is for the whole piece, leave this out.

Then, write the notes as if the instrument is not retuned. For instance, if you want to hear an open F, write an E.

As for playback, I'm sure you can do it in several ways. Off the top of my head, I might have the written part a silent one, and then a second staff set to not print that is not transposed, but plays the correct notes.

What you have is essentially a transposing violin, where the E string, the A string, and the D and G strings have differing transpositions. (D and G transpose the same.) So you can't simply set a stock transposition for playback.

Attached is an example I did a while back for a paper on a convoluted (non-practical) way to play a Stravinsky passage. (A long story, but if you really want to know I'll send the paper to anyone who asks.)

Ron Wasserman
F2007, user since 2000
Desktop: Athlon 64X2, 1918 mb ram, XP Media Center
Laptop: Celeron, 480 mb ram, XP home

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
figure 3.TIF
  19KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 315 time(s).