Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Copying rhythms but not notes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Don McCullough
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Don McCullough's website.Send a Private Message to Don McCulloughAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 245

Posted 1/30/2009 6:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Is there a way to copy a rhythm from one measure to another without copying the notes?  For example, say I'm in 3/4 and I have an 8 note chord spread out among the winds (each wind with their own staff) with each measure containing a half note and a quarter rest. Now say I want to add a tied eighth note to all existing half notes. Rather than going into each measure and making the change manually, is there a way (plug-in?) to fix only one measure and then copy the rhythm in that measure into the others (without changing the note in the target measure)?

If this doesn't exist, would others find it as useful as I would?

Many thanks,

Don

johnmouse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to johnmouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 849

Posted 1/31/2009 8:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A "Copy Rhythm Motif" would be useful, IMHO.

John

Finale 2008/2009b
Windows XP
P4 2.8 GHz
512 MB RAM

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 1/31/2009 9:20 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can sort of do it with the Simple Entry Repitch Tool, but not exactly the way you want. With that you can copy an existing measure to a new measure, and then enter notes on the new measure and the rhythm will automatically be the same.

Finale 2008a, XP Pro, 1GB, full GPO, JABB

Post Edited (Wlgold) : 1/31/2009 7:23:25 AM (GMT-6)

Don McCullough
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Don McCullough's website.Send a Private Message to Don McCulloughAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 245

Posted 2/1/2009 4:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. Just wanted be be sure I wasn't wasting time but it seems I'm not. I agree John, a Copy Rhythm Motif" seems like a no brainer. Have you added the request to the wish list?

acciuga
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to acciugaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 746

Posted 2/1/2009 7:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been using a series of steps to do precisely this edit ever since Finale 2008 came out. See the attached image. If you have text or ariculations attached to the notes on beat one, you can just as easily make your "copy" selection be of any other 1/8th note portion of the notes. Of course, a plug-in that does this would always be nice, too.

-Rick Giovinazzo
MacPro 2X2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon; 6 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM; OSX 10.5.5
ATI Radeon HD 2600; Dell 2405FPW 24" monitor (landscape); Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor (portrait)
Finale 2008b; Finale 2009b

"I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me."

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Steps to Extend Notes.png
  41KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 617 time(s).