Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > GPO solo string articulations other than arco and pizz!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

John Santana
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John SantanaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 29

Posted 1/31/2009 9:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For playback I want to hear my solo string section with clear, sharp attacks. The "normal" string style in GPO is farily smooth and I can't even hear my series of 16th notes--they smear together into one sound.

GPO does seem to work properly. I can get pizz by using the built in expression for pizz. The HP dialog box lists detache and spiccato techniques as being available (I'm using solo strings) and either would be ok for what I'm doing, but I can't find how to apply either.

The "actions" column lists: "KS=D2, Mod" for detache. I have NO IDEA what that means!!

I'm wondering if these techniques are indeed available. I notice that the documentation doesn't list either, but they are there in the dialog box.

Sure would appreciate some insight on this!

JS

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/31/2009 10:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I find that the articulations that come pre-defined with Finale work as one would expect them to and that's what I use.

The "ks=d2" means that the instruments with "-ks" in their names will "play" the note "D2"--which is a patch switch. Just the word "spiccato" or "detache" in the score should tell HP to trigger that switch. I've never found the spiccato and detache HP settings to be very convincing, however. That's why I use articulations.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2009b with Garritan Personal Orchestra 2.0,
Jazz & Big Band, and Concert & Marching Band
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM
Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

John Santana
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John SantanaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 29

Posted 2/1/2009 2:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. Articulations would be MUCH better for what I'm doing becuase I want the technique only on selected notes. I'll include a screenshot of a representative place. The only trouble is that these staccato articulations still play back like a single note because of the soft attack of the GPO solo KS violin. I would be really happy if I could make this sound right.

I know I could edit the definition for the staccato marks to make them play shorter, but that would not change the attack so I still wouldn't hear them. This is a fairly important issue. I'm doing quite a bit of arranging and I really need to be able to play a decent sample file for those who approve the arrangements--I need it for professional purposes, though not a final product (like a film score).

Also, related to the HP playback action "KS=D2, Mod" that you commented on. What is the "Mod" part.

Any advice or help you could give me would be greatly appreciated, to say the least!

Not sure if I managed to attach the screen shot. I tried.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Vln notes.BMP
  54KB (image/bmp)
This image has been viewed 157 time(s).

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 2/1/2009 2:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Attacks in GPO are controlled by velocity. You can change the overall base key velocity in HP to a higher value. This would affect everything in the file.

Or you can create a non-printing text expression with playback defined to increase velocity, apply this to a single staff for just a few measures if desired, then create another text expression to set the velocity back to "normal".

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 2/1/2009 4:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi John,

I can't what the problem is from an image. I'd need to see the .mus file.

BTW, I've been working on a string quartet the last couple of months and I have no problem getting a nice snappy sound out of the solo strings. Naybe it's because I'm using full GPO--I dunno--but I am very happy with the attacks.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2009b with Garritan Personal Orchestra 2.0,
Jazz & Big Band, and Concert & Marching Band
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM
Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card