Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > ALT codes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 4/13/2009 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While looking for something else, I came across this site:www.wackycodes.com It has the ALT codes listed by number. Maybe some of you will find it useful.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen
www.seachordsmen.org

NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TimekeeperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 585

Posted 4/13/2009 5:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank You. I Often write in Spanglish. (English and Spanish at the same time) and a few of these characters are too important to pass up. The others are just cool, and I'm sure that someone will need them. I actually printed up the pages.

Matthew, Composer, Violist and Guitarist
PM 2k9, Windows Xp Pro

Favorite Forum Quote:
 "This is What You Get For Asking A Robot To Compose For You."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 4/13/2009 6:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You should also know about allchars, a freeware resident program that lets you enter such characters via key combinations. For example, ñ = Ctrl + n + ~

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

gregory
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gregoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 47

Posted 4/15/2009 7:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Isn't it a pity though we still can't properly write Dvorak's name properly.... the inverted carat over the R still doesnt exist in our antiquated POV on languages.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/15/2009 8:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You mean, Dvořak?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

www.seachordsmen.org

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 4/15/2009 11:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He's my main man.

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2009
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives
Apple Mac Pro, 8 quad, 3.2 ghz, 4 hard drives, Apogee duet, two wide screens

Also... Event SP8 studio monitors, M Audio pro station 88 keyboard, GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, Kontakt 3.0, Logic Pro 8, Digital Perfomer 5, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, Marimba, percussion, Giovani, Anthrology Celtic Winds and Spiritual Winds, complete Kirk Hunter orchestral library, Kirk Hunter Diamond Library, Garritan Concert and Marching band, Garritan Stradiveri violin and Gofriller cello, True Strike 1 and True Strike 2, Garritan Steinway professional, Vienna Symphony Library solo strings and special edition and trying hard to learn the other language of music.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 4/15/2009 1:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
While looking for something else, I came across this site:www.wackycodes.com It has the ALT codes listed by number. Maybe some of you will find it useful.
That site sure does have a lot of pop-ups.  Does your version of Finale not have the "Insert Symbol" menu option on all text dialogues?  I've seen many times on this forum where people with even the full version of Finale don't use this command, and I don't understand why they don't.  You never need to memorize an alt-code, and you don't need a printed font sample with you.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, Win 2K Pro

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
InsertSymbol.jpg
  104KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1893 time(s).

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/15/2009 1:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doug,

I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plug-in. I get no pop-ups; only a message that there are some. Very helpful!

Yes, I have the Insert>Symbol, and I use it. I just wish it would let you select the font from within that dialogue, rather than before you go to it.

I was offering another way, not a better one, necessarily. And you can use the ALT codes in other programs than Finale.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

www.seachordsmen.org

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 4/15/2009 3:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
I was offering another way, not a better one, necessarily. And you can use the ALT codes in other programs than Finale.
Ah.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, Win 2K Pro

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 4/15/2009 7:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Insert Symbol is tiresome except for very occasional use. If you're putting a lot of più mossos in the score you're better off memorizing the Alt codes or using something like AllChars.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 4/15/2009 7:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Doug,

I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plug-in. I get no pop-ups; only a message that there are some. Very helpful!

I use Firefox set to block pop-ups, but without the plug-in, and get the same message. Very helpful I agree.

Finale 2006

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it
-- W.C. Fields

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
-- Steven Wright