Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Centering the page  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

tear
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to tearAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 157

Posted 4/21/2009 11:07 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My Finale 2009 for Windowa is not centering the page when I open it. I have to do it manually. Every time I go to a new page, or back to the previous page, I have to re-center the page all over again. For 12 years I have been using Finale, and I don't recall ever having to do it manually. It's a real nuisance. Is anyone else having this problem? Or do I have a bad copy of Finale.

Thank you very much.

Ted Lebar.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 4/21/2009 11:19 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ted,
Take a look in the configuration files, for any reference to New window, probably abbreviated. Then look in the config files for one of your older versions. You may find a different setting. Tech support may be able to tell you exactly what to look for.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen
www.seachordsmen.org

NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

tear
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to tearAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999

Posted 4/21/2009 7:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Mike, I was in touch with the Tech support, about 6 times. Just this morning I was told that it can not be solved, that is, that I have to adjust it every time I open Finale.

tear
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 1999

Posted 5/4/2009 12:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I can't belive that I am the only person whose Finale 2009 has a page off-center every time I open it or change a page. If everybody's page is centered, that clearly suggests that I have a faulty copy. Make music refuses to hear this. They are telling me that that's how Finale 2009 is. Does that make sense to all of you Finale 2009 users? I paid for it and it will not do what it's supposed to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ted Lebar.

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 5/4/2009 12:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ted, can you clarify for us exactly what you mean that the page is not centered.

What I believe that you are telling me is that Finale creates larger margins on one side of the page than the other. For example, you have 1 inch on the left side and 0.6 inches on the the right side. So you have to go to page format, page margins and correct the page margins (make them both 0.6 inches, for example) on every document that you open.

If this is the case, you could make a template with your intended page margins and open that template for every new piece that you compose.

Or is there a way of correcting the default page margins? I think that there is, but I don't recall how, being away from my Finale computer at the moment.

Or..... is it something else that is the trouble? Can you clarify?

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2009
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives
Apple Mac Pro, 8 quad, 3.2 ghz, 4 hard drives, Apogee duet, two wide screens

Also... Event SP8 studio monitors, M Audio pro station 88 keyboard, GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, Kontakt 3.0, Logic Pro 8, Digital Perfomer 5, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, Marimba, percussion, Giovani, Anthrology Celtic Winds and Spiritual Winds, complete Kirk Hunter orchestral library, Kirk Hunter Diamond Library, Garritan Concert and Marching band, Garritan Stradiveri violin and Gofriller cello, True Strike 1 and True Strike 2, Garritan Steinway professional, Vienna Symphony Library solo strings and special edition and trying hard to learn the other language of music.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 5/4/2009 12:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tear said...
I can't belive that I am the only person whose Finale 2009 has a page off-center every time I open it or change a page. If everybody's page is centered, that clearly suggests that I have a faulty copy. Make music refuses to hear this. They are telling me that that's how Finale 2009 is. Does that make sense to all of you Finale 2009 users? I paid for it and it will not do what it's supposed to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ted Lebar.

you might not recall it doing this, but it probably has always behaved exactly in this fashion.
I just opened files in finale 2006 through 2009 and page view is always off to one side - if it's not filling the screen.
it's not a defect of any sort.

when your page is not "screen width" it automatically opens off to the left.
(which is why I have always had a quick-key shortcut to automatically make my view be "screen width")

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2009
currently installed: version 3.7.1 (under Win 3.11), 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009
Full GPO, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Win XP

Michel R. Edward

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 5/4/2009 12:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My pages have never been "centered" by default: instead, they've always been scrolled to the extreme top/left.

In the days of old VGA screens, this meant seeing just the top left part of any page unless I played with the scroll bars. These days, it means the whole page is in view, but there is a lot of empty "real estate" to the right, as shown above (1600*1200, Finale 2005b on Windows 98SE).

Brian
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
offset.gif
  109KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 249 time(s).