Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How would you notate this?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

FwL
User of Registers

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FwLAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 114

Posted 6/7/2009 2:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the following attachment you'll see three measures of piano music. In all three measures, I want each hand to hold its notes until no longer practicable (hand has to move to next set of notes).

The first measure is my attempt to notate this effect using layers and voices. This way plays correctly but looks seriously ugly. The handwritten score simply has a group of four 16th notes with each note tied to its corresponding note in the quarter note chord that follows. I tried recreating that in Finale with marginal success.

The other option I thought of was to just write out 16th notes and use the old standby for guitar notation... "let ring".

How would you handle these three measures?

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
piano part.jpg
  72KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 231 time(s).

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Click to send korneel.bernolet email.Click to visit korneel.bernolet's website.Send a Private Message to korneel.bernoletAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 735

Posted 6/7/2009 2:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Input normal sixteenth notes, add a tie to each of them, and extend the ties to the notes of the next chord.
Is clear to me and much easier to read.

Korneel Bernolet (Belgium)

FwL
User of Registers

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FwLAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009

Posted 6/7/2009 3:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
korneel.bernolet said...
Input normal sixteenth notes, add a tie to each of them, and extend the ties to the notes of the next chord.
Is clear to me and much easier to read.

That's what I had originally done for the first measure. I tried the layered approach just to see if I could get playback to sound correct.

What about the lines in the next two measures though? There's no chord to tie to... just sustained notes forming a chord while they're ringing.

RVS Lee
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RVS LeeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 352

Posted 6/7/2009 3:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How musch time do you want to spend getting it to look nice?

RVS Lee

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 6/7/2009 3:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why not just use the Pedal marking when you want to sustain notes?

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2009b with Garritan Personal Orchestra 2.0,
Jazz & Big Band, and Concert & Marching Band
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM
Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

FwL
User of Registers

Date Joined May 2009

Posted 6/7/2009 6:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RVS Lee,

This is just something I'm notating in my spare time... so how long it takes... depends on if I get tired of working on it.

Ron,

Pedal sustain is not the sound required for this part. There's a distinct difference in sound holding down the notes of a chord vs pushing the sus pedal and playing notes that blur into a sort-of-chord-like-sound. What I'm trying to notate is specifically ped off and holding each note in each hand to form an arpeggiated chord.

TheoryGod555
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TheoryGod555AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 27

Posted 6/7/2009 8:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As for the first measure, how does this look?

(I'll see what I can do with the next two)
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Example.tif
  29KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 215 time(s).

UriS
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UriSAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 10

Posted 6/8/2009 3:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I think you have pretty much to choices-Either you do as the last guy before me demonstarted, or you could just put normal 16th notes and tie them to the final chord (Is that what the original score had?).  The first option would play back more like it should, but as far as notation goes, I'd probably use the second option. And same thing goes for the next bars, just put a chord on the final 16th note every time (as shown in my example).

Actually, there's also a way to make the second option play correctly (or at least almost)-put an invisible pedal mark-on a real piano it would sound differently, but I think in Finale it would play just the same.

Using Finale 2008.r2

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
example1.JPG
  35KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 180 time(s).

FwL
User of Registers

Date Joined May 2009

Posted 6/8/2009 11:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Those are some good suggestions.

Rich101
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Rich101AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 24

Posted 6/9/2009 2:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A tie doesn't change the duration of a note. I would notate it as TheoryGod555 did.

Finale 2001b
Finale 2008a.r2
Windows XP

Post Edited (Rich101) : 6/9/2009 3:04:46 AM (GMT-5)

TheoryGod555
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TheoryGod555AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009

Posted 6/9/2009 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's what I came up with for the last two measures.

First of all, I'd change the clef in the bottom staff to Treble Clef so that you can separate the two hands on their own staff.  Because of my software limitations, I couldn't change the clef back mid-measure, so I had to use 8vb in Treble Clef.

(I left out the accidentals this time, too)
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Example 2.tif
  56KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 185 time(s).

FwL
User of Registers

Date Joined May 2009

Posted 6/9/2009 6:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's good. Thank you for the help.

J.House
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to J.HouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 6/9/2009 7:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Instead of TheoryGod's suggestion for the last two measures, I would consider having it as you originally notated it, but leave the beams up for R.H. and flip the beams down for L.H. - I believe that is the easier to read.

TheoryGod555
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2009

Posted 6/10/2009 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That could be done, but I still think you'd have to tie each hand's sixteenth notes to a chord until that hand has to play more sixteenths. To do this, you could put each hand in two different layers and reverse the stems or separate the hands on their own staves. I don't know which one you'd prefer, but I think these are the two best ways.

TheoryGod555

FwL
User of Registers

Date Joined May 2009

Posted 6/10/2009 8:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My wife is the pianist in the house.. and the piece was written for her... so I'll let her figure out which of the suggestions is easiest to read and go with that one.