Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Incorrect Rhythm in HyperScribe  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Wholeogram
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WholeogramAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/7/2009 8:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Greetings all,

I am entering notes into HyperScribe.  Simple 4/4 bar filled with 16-16th notes (4 16th notes per beat, 1e&ah). Yet, after my 2 bar countoff and I start playing the rhythm 1e&ah, 2e&ah, precisely in time, my PrintMusic 2009 will not enter on 1 (the down beat). Instead, the phrase enters on “e,” (e&ah1, e&ah2).

Is there a way to slide (edit) my entire phrase over one 16th note to the left so my phrase starts on 1 like I played it?

Thanks,

Mark

johnmouse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to johnmouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 849

Posted 9/8/2009 7:12 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Because, in fact, you (and all the rest of us, for that matter) are NOT playing precisely. Hyperscribe will place the notes exactly where they are played within the clocking parameters; not where we think they're played. This is why never use it. Speedy is faster for me than going back and editing every other measure.

You should be able to slide the section over with the selection tool, and there will more than likely be more editing to do. Personally, at this point, I'd delete the whole thing and use either speedy or simple entry.

John

Finale 2009c
Windows XP, SP2
P4 2.8 GHz
768 MB RAM

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 9/8/2009 7:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with John ...

Brian

francois_harel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to francois_harelAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 557

Posted 9/8/2009 8:17 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Dear Mark,

I never used Hyperscribe because it didn't work very well. Finale is a notator ! I always use Speedy mode. If you need to record your performance live, use a sequencer (I use Sonar). Then, quantify your take and exported to Finale.

Francois, Montreal

Francois Harel, Montreal, Canada
QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, 4 SATA2 drives. XP Pro and Vista x64.
Finale 2010, Sonar PE 8.3.1
Kontakt Player 2 and Kontakt 3, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO PLAY 1.2.5 Silver and Platinum Plus
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Wholeogram
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WholeogramAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/8/2009 2:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks for the help all of you.

I am new to Finale/PrintMusic and have not used Speedy Entry before. Going through the Tutorial I see how to do it. It seems similar to Step Entry as far as being a bit on the tedious side.

My situation/need is that being that my wife is actually the composer/keyboard player, my preference was to just let her play her pieces into the computer with HyperScribe. In this way all of the notes get in, but is not rhythmically precise (and hence my need for editing). As far as I could see (?) Speedy Entry offers rhythmic precision, yet does not allow a performer to be emotionally in the experience of the song.

Thanks again for the help! I will explore Speedy Entry.

Mark

Scott Hirsch (Coach)
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Scott Hirsch (Coach)Click to Add drumscotth to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 424

Posted 9/9/2009 1:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are situations where HyperScribe can be helpful, but - IMHO - it shouldn't be considered a means of getting perfect result, but rather, inputting something quickly so it can be edited.

As a percussionist, I also find it helpful in drum set part writing. I can then play the part (realtime) just as if I was playing the drum set (but with my fingers). This usually is left with minimal editing - depending on the part and situation. Hopefully this helps. I think Speedy would be your best bet to start with and get used to.

Scott Hirsch
MakeMusic Forum Assistance
-------------------------------------------
iMac G5 1.8GHz 2GB RAM OSX 10.4.11
iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.4
MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.4
Finale 2005-2010
Kontakt 2,3
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.5.1
Zero-G Nostalgia
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Sibelius 2-5.2

Dee BP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dee BPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 3

Posted 9/9/2009 2:10 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a Finale user since 1991 and use it for arranging, composing and engraving professionally. Have you guys been to the Sibeliusmusic.com website? I have been to the Finale Showcase website, but it doesn't hold a candle to the other one..... I wish they had that sort of thing going on. Anyway, I bought Sibelius several years ago to take advantage of the website (to sell arrangements and original compositions) and I never could get the hang of Sibelius. Everyone says its easier????? No way. You have to go around your elbow to get to your thumb... try puttig in a staccato mark.... try getting XML files to successfully work... try getting your music to look right on the page. The manual is nonsense and I am not just talking about the culture thing (ie crotchets vs. quarters/quavers vs. eighths)...
Everything I read online says that Finale users are flocking to Sibelius because it is easier???? What am I missing? I am no genius.. but I do have two degrees in music, I'm published, I do this for a living..... I just don't get it... and just TRY finding a Sibelius ace to help you... I am the "Finale Ace" around these parts and don't mind the phone call or email asking how to do something out of the ordinary.... I like helping people (I'm also a teacher) but I can't find anyone who can do that with Sibelius....
Grrrrrr....
I am trying to be a bi-platform person. Oh.. I also have Finale on BOTH my Mac and PC. Use the PC to tidy things up when I have to email files or pdf's to my orchestras, students or publishers. Do my composing on the Mac.

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/9/2009 4:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Dee, Welcome to the Forum - even if with a strangely off-topic, anti-Sibelius rant! lol

Some of your points are made with a strongly Stateside slant, and this side the Pond, cause musicians, composers and educators to go the other way. Sibelius has a fantastic reputation over here ...

... and despite that, I use Finale!

Brian

Dee BP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dee BPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 9/9/2009 2:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know..... I recognize that. Even in reading the reference manual I can see the cultural differences in the way we think and express things. I find that the logic behind the way things are arranged in Sibelius eludes me to a great extent. It's not wrong.. it's just foreign. It's like trying to cook in another woman's kitchen... you know where YOU put things, but you can't figure out their organizational logic.
I have a lot of dear colleagues on your side of the pond who are wonderful composers and use Sibelius and I am determined to become "bilingual" in my use of platforms. I'm just frustrated.
My husband (who is an amateur musician but pretty good) has tried to help by concentrating on Sibelius so he can intervene when I start to lose it. When you are totally fluent and comfortable in Finale it seems that it wouldn't be difficult to segue to another program... grrrrr.
I will say that I am charmed in many ways by the way the Sibelius Handbook is written. The Finale stuff is very to the point and technical. The Sibelius literature comes across as being almost chatty which is amusing until you get frustrated then you get annoyed.
: )
By the way.... I assume you also use both programs? I am committed to getting some stuff onto the Sibeliusmusic.com website and I am hoping to accomplish that by transferring my Finale files via XML to Sibelius, tweaking then submitting. If I have any questions can I ask you directly? I would be almost relieved to give you my email address. I also do Skype.

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/9/2009 3:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dee, I've dabbled with Sibelius, mainly because it resembles my original, now defunct, Windows notation program, Encore. But I work exclusively in Finale - and an old version at that (2005b), which has its bugs, quirks and hair-tearingly-dumb stupidities, but which works predictably and reliably about 99% of the time, on anything from Windows 98SE to Vista 64 (I've yet to try Windows 7).

Brian

Dee BP
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 9/10/2009 12:10 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh well. I use Finale 2003 on my mac cause it's an old mac and can't do any better. I kept upgrading however because I also use Finale on my Windows (Vista) machine to tweak things as I send things out via pdf to my players to prep for rehearsals. I have only recently started using the Windows machine to actually work on new pieces cause I got a new USB keyboard (old one I use with mac is a Korg 01Wfd) but I try to mostly work on the mac because 1. it works and 2. the PC is attached to the internets and I am always fearing things crashing down with a virus. My music is safely on a noninternet machine. I use Finale 2010 on the PC and hope soon (when I rework my studio) to get a new Mac. We'll see.
Did you ever work with a sequencing program called Vision? They quit making the program and I still have it on the Mac. LOVE that program.

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/10/2009 4:43 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your reasons for using F2003 on the Mac is much the same as why I still use F2005b on Win98SE. Although my Windows machines are attached to the internet, I have a completely foolproof way of restoring my entire software environment (Windows + all applications) in a matter of about 2-3 minutes flat, should a virus or other problem arise.

FWIW, most modern viruses don't even run on Win98SE! lol

Brian