Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Multiple Songs on one page (for beginning students)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MusicTeacherMcGorry
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MusicTeacherMcGorryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 1/3/2010 10:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm a music teacher and would like to use Finale to create a "one-sheeter", a single page document with multiple, short songs on it. This would be for beginning recorder students and also for general music students who are learning to sight-sing notes. For example, I'd like to put "Hot Cross Buns," "Merrily We Roll Along," "Pierrot," etc. one one page. These songs are each like 4 measures each (or a little longer). I don't want to have to print each short song on one page.

Can this be done?

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/3/2010 11:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome to the forum.

Take a look at my tips page, at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm. There are two articles on putting multiple songs on one page, one for Finale, and one for PrintMusic.

Please add the program you're using to your signature, in the forum Control Panel.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 1/4/2010 1:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

We are also a little more eager to help when you provide a name to your post.

David

David Young

Historicist Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.
Finale 2.4 to Finale 2010.  Logic Pro 8, Digital Performer, Loaded MAC Tower, two screens, a whole bag of sample libraries including Full GPO, some VSL, True Strike 1 and 2, and now Xsample Chamber Instruments and I have a long ways to go to understand how us all of this.... but quite familiar with Finale!

Join us at www.composeforums.com for
arranging and orchestration!

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TimekeeperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 585

Posted 1/5/2010 2:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike, I was going to start a very similar thread. Your article only mentioned short songs. I have a longer work (symphony #1) that has 1 page and 3 lines in the first movement. I want to have the second movement on the same page, so as not to waste a bunch of paper (this is parts that are 1 page, not the whole score. Will it look weird to do what your article mentioned with combined parts (movement 1 part, joined with #2 part merged from separate files?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080>PM 2k9, Windows Xp Pro,768 MB RAM

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080> "This is What You Get For Asking A Robot To Compose For You."

[color=purple>Symphony of Albuquerque Violist

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/5/2010 10:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think so. But let's see what the pros think!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/5/2010 1:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think it would look weird. I frequently work with a single file, then break it up into separate files later; or, sometimes I work the other way round. All you have to be careful of when combining documents is the spacing and text between the two movements (usually best to start on a new page as well). You might want to change measure numbering so that each movement is a separate numbering zone.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2010 with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0,
Jazz & Big Band, and Concert & Marching Band
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM
Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums http://www.composeforums.com/forum/Default.asp
Where composers come together to discuss music. Check it out.

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/5/2010 2:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately, Matt has PrintMusic, which doesn't allow changing the number regions. That's the best argument for not combining the scores. Thanks, Ron.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

PeterQD
Win Fin v2 - 2009

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PeterQDAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add gustmanager@hotmail.co.uk to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 507

Posted 1/5/2010 5:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would say the most important thing, much more than saving paper, is that the musician can read and play the music easily, with nicely-spaced systems and page turns carefully positioned so as to give adequate time and without nasty surprises. Starting the 2nd Movt lower on the first page might be the best way to achieve this.

In older versions I always made separate files and printed them separately on the same page, setting the top margins accordingly and feeding the paper back into the printer. It's a close call whether this is more difficult than using one file.

18 years and still learning...

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/5/2010 5:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PeterQD said...

In older versions I always made separate files and printed them separately on the same page, setting the top margins accordingly and feeding the paper back into the printer. It's a close call whether this is more difficult than using one file.

That might be Matt's best option, in this case. I guess it would depend on how many copies he printed.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Javier Kirker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Javier KirkerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/7/2010 4:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike has giben a very nice site. thanks a lot sir :)
really useful info and i really needed that

craft ideas | india news

Jeannie
'Tis Herself - I have the tee shirt to prove it!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JeannieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 1863

Posted 1/7/2010 4:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
PeterQD said...

That might be Matt's best option, in this case. I guess it would depend on how many copies he printed.

I would think, rather than doing all that manual work to reprint pages, go ahead and either combine files or just notate the separate songs into one file without measure numbers and, if measure numbers are needed, put them in manually using text boxes or expressions (I prefer the latter).

Jeannie

Allegro 2005, Allegro 2007, Finale 2010 (not yet installed) XP Pro

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TimekeeperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009

Posted 1/8/2010 9:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had also considered printing them out, then cutting the beginning of the second mvt out and pasting it to the 2nd page of the first mvt (where I only have 2 or 3 lines). Then photocopying it. I know this method seems to be the biggest waster of paper, but I have found that other documents look best this way. I just think it looks wierd having a symphony part bound with 1/2 a page left blank.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080>PM 2k9, Windows Xp Pro,768 MB RAM

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800080> "This is What You Get For Asking A Robot To Compose For You."

[color=purple>Symphony of Albuquerque Violist

Jeannie
'Tis Herself - I have the tee shirt to prove it!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JeannieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 1863

Posted 1/9/2010 9:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Timekeeper said...
I had also considered printing them out, then cutting the beginning of the second mvt out and pasting it to the 2nd page of the first mvt (where I only have 2 or 3 lines). Then photocopying it. I know this method seems to be the biggest waster of paper, but I have found that other documents look best this way. I just think it looks wierd having a symphony part bound with 1/2 a page left blank.

Timekeeper, I used to do things like what you are talking about but found using the computer not only was easier, but also gave you an easily stored and transmittable digital copy. Printing from a file is superior to making copies from a master copy and files are easier and safer to store than master copies.

While most Finale programs will create TIFF files, I prefer to use a virtual printer to create JPEGs. I use a commercial program that I bought long before I learned about the free PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/files/PDFCreator/PDFCreator%200.9.5/) which can create graphic files as well as PDFs. Use whatever method you prefer to convert your .mus files to a graphic file. Paste the files into a Word document. You can add text, other graphics, etc., if you wish. I also found it a good idea to increase the contrast and redarken any line graphics (such as converted .mus files) imported into Word to avoid strange things happening later when printed.

While you can print from the Word file, it is better to "stabilize" it by converting it to a PDF (you also avoid compatibility problems with other computers and versions of Word). Word 2007 supposedly will create PDFs directly (I downloaded the necessary file but never had any luck getting it to work) but one can also use PDFCreator to make the PDF. PDFs are better for farming out print jobs. One can carry the files to the print shop or copy center on a CD or a USB flash drive or even emailed in advance. It's a lot cheaper overall to send a file over long distance for printing at the destination than it is to ship a large volume of printed (or copied) documents.

Jeannie

Allegro 2005, Allegro 2007, Finale 2010 (not yet installed) XP Pro

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Date Joined Jan 2009

Posted 1/13/2010 12:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ended up changing the number of systems on a page to be even using the >page layout >space systems evenly function.
Each page now has 8 systems, rather than page 1 having 12 systems and page 2 having 4 systems. I thought it would look strange, but it is actually much easier to read than the first options were.

Matthew
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Symphony of Albuquerque VIOLIST
Windows XP Pro, PM 2009, NP 2006 768 MB RAM
Favorite Forum Post: "This is What You Get For Asking A Robot To Compose For You."