Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New Staves doesn't work correctly?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Don McCullough
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Don McCullough's website.Send a Private Message to Don McCulloughAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 245

Posted 1/5/2010 6:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Windows XP, Finale 2008b

I have a file with several instruments and all is well with that.  I now want to add three staves.  I used the Add Staves (with set-up Wizard) and nothing happened so I used the cruder "New Staves" (non-wizard) and still nothing. However, if I go to "Manage Parts" I see the staves that I added with the non-Wizard "New Staves" utility in the "Available Instruments" column.  But there is no way to "add" those staves to the "score."  Should I create a new "part" adding all the instruements to it (in effect making a copy of the already existing "score") including the new staves. 

BTW,when I have the "score" on the screen (scrolling format) and I go to the Edit Staff Attributes the new staves do not appear in the list. In case anyone wondered about that.

I looked in the manual and on the forum but disn't see anything addressing this.  IN fact, it said to add the staves and boom, they would appear. Am I missing something??

Many thanks,
Don

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/5/2010 7:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don,
You must be missing something, but I don't know what it is. It works fine for me. Is it in all files, or just this one? Can you post the file where this behavior shows?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 1/6/2010 12:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One possibility: are you adding these staves to a score that's already been optimized? If so, you'll need to do the optimization over before your staves will be visible in page view.

Dan Powers

Don McCullough
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Don McCullough's website.Send a Private Message to Don McCulloughAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 245

Posted 1/6/2010 3:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After more messing around with the thing I found that the staves did indeed show up in studio view but not in scroll view. Dan you are probably right, it has something to do with the staves being optimized. However, I didn't think optimization affected things in scroll view. ?? No matter, I got what I needed.

Thanks to both of you for your help!!

Don McCullough
www.donaldmccullough.com

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 1/6/2010 4:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's puzzling. You're right, optimisation shouldn't affect scroll view. I have no idea what's up with that.

Dan Powers

Javier Kirker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Javier KirkerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/7/2010 4:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
as far as i know optimization does affect things in scroll view is simiar manner. I dont know how to correct that. may be some changes in optimizations. BTW, i am glad that you got your answer :)

craft ideas | india news