Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > XML Files on Desktop  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

m139139
Registered Member

Click to send m139139 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to m139139Click to Add mmmcat40 to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableClick to Add n/a to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add n/a to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 62

Posted 1/5/2010 6:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does anybody know how to make an XML file? The instructions I received were:

1) From File Menu point to Music XML, and click Export.
2) Save as an XML file to Desktop.
3) From File Menu, point to Music XML, and click Import.
4) Import the file that was just saved from the Desktop.

One of the techs walked me through it, but when I tried it on my own, it didn't work.

Thanks in advance.

Mimi

Mimi- Finale 2009, Windows XP, Compaq Presario PC, 80 GB 1024 MB RAM
Cats, Sci-Fi, Audacity 1.2.6. Organist, all kinds of music.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/5/2010 7:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mimi,
Are you trying to create an XML file, or open one that someone sent you?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 1/6/2010 8:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mimi,

Your steps 1 and 2 will create (export) an XML file (name.XML) of the currently open Finale file (name.MUS). You can, of course name the file anything you want with an XML extension, and save it anywhere you wish, not necessarily on the Desktop.

Steps 3 and 4 will read into Finale a previously created XML file. Again the file does not need to be on the Desktop. In previous versions, you had to have a document open to import into, and use the XML built in plugin (there was no MusicXML option in the file menu), but the later versions, at least 2009 and above, this is no longer the case. Import will always create a new document, if I am not mistaken.

BTW, XML is just text, so you can open the file in any editor like NotePad to review or edit it. It will even open in a browser page to see the XML.

Hope this helps.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
Creative SB Audigy
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)

Finale 2010a

Javier Kirker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Javier KirkerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/7/2010 3:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I don't think these steps will let you to create a XAL file. Tey are just to import some previously made XML file to your desktop and then export it to somewhere else .

craft ideas | india news

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3238

Posted 1/7/2010 5:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, step 1 is the File menu in Finale, which gives you Export to create the XML file.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004, 2006 and 2007, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB
2nd Tenor Cape Town Male Voice Choir
Use the Finale Knowledgebase first ! :-)

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 1/7/2010 9:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mimi and Javier, and other interested folks,

Believe me when I say that after completing steps 1 and 2 (you can't do one without the other) you will have created, otherwise called exported, the currently open Finale file to your chosen XML file. This process consists of taking the music notation information from the currently selected Finale file and translating it into XML format text and storing that text in the chosen XML file. XML is just pure text that you can view and edit with any text editor like NotePad. It is just another way of storing the music information in a text format that can be read by other XML knowledgeable software. This way, music written in one program, like Finale, can be read by another music program, like Sibelius, and vice versa. That is one of the many features of XML. Another use of XML is to take a file created with a later version of Finale and import it back into an earlier version of Finale. As you may know, typically you cannot read a newer Finale format MUS file into an older Finale program. The file formats are usually incompatible. The reverse is typically not the case. A newer Finale program will update an older MUS file the first time you try to read it. XML lets you get around this file incompatibility. Anyone interested in XML should visit http://www.recordare.com for more information.

Conversely, after completing steps 3 and 4 (again you can't do one without the other) you will have read into a Finale MUS file the chosen XML file, otherwise known as importing the XML into Finale. You will see the result of Finale having translated the XML text into music notation on your screen. You can then save it as a Finale MUS file.

I have done this process, just as described, many times using Finale 2009 and 2010. If it doesn't work for you as described, you may be using an earlier version of Finale where the XML import and export features were available not from the File menu, but from the builtin XML plugin (Dolet Light from Recordare) menu. Also, in earlier versions, you needed to have a blank Finale file already open and selected in order for the import process to have somewhere to put the music notation. This is no longer the case with Finale 2009 and 2010 (at least), which will always create a new Finale document for import.

Hope this clears up any confusion. I hope I have not bored you. Good luck.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
Creative SB Audigy
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)

Finale 2010a