Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Is there a way to edit rhythm?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Wholeogram
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WholeogramAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 6

Posted 3/19/2010 3:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When entering in Hyperscribe in PrintMusic 2009 I will play 1e&a 2e&a…but will show e&a2... It is one or more 16th notes off. Even when I slow the tempo and am certain I am on One. Knowing that "human error” is usually a factor in playing music with a computer it would be nice to edit the rhythm after it is entered with any mistakes.

Thanks,

Mark Smith

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 3/19/2010 3:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, it's easy to change the rhythm in the edit stage. In Simple, select the note in question, and then ALT+(number from numberpad) will change the duration. Sometimes I'll make a few changes, and then switch to Speedy so that I can move notes en masse.

But if there a many, many errors, it's sometimes faster to enter directly in Simple or Speedy.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Click to send Davidmorehead email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DavidmoreheadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 2203

Posted 3/19/2010 3:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wholeogram said...
When entering in Hyperscribe in PrintMusic 2009 I will play 1e&a 2e&a…but will show e&a2... It is one or more 16th notes off. Even when I slow the tempo and am certain I am on One. Knowing that "human error” is usually a factor in playing music with a computer it would be nice to edit the rhythm after it is entered with any mistakes.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Thanks,

Mark Smith

Do yourself a favor and enter your notes with Speedy entry and a midi keyboard.

Click on the Speedy entry tool, then hold a note/chord down on the midi keyboard, then push a number from 1-8. (1=64th 2=32th 3=16th 4=8th 5=quarter note 6=half 7 =whole 8=double whole) You will get exactly what you want using this method and you can enter the information in as fast or slow as you like. Once you get good at entering music this way, it is usually faster than playing in real time and having to go back and fix mistakes.

David Morehead
Finale 2010-Sony Vaio Laptop
TGTools Full Version
Roland Sonic Cell
Finale user since 1990.

Wholeogram
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WholeogramAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 3/19/2010 4:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you two. Mike, in my situation I'm trying to MOVE the notes to the left, not so much change the duration. David, thank you. Even though I am aware that Speedy is better (I will most likely revert to that), I was seeing if (moving) edits could be made in HyperScribe, for my wife will enter her composisions. She's the keyboard player, not I. It would take way too long and be too hard for me to know her notes for me to enter Speedy. I'm needing her to enter, then I come in later and tweek.

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 3/19/2010 4:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I's just my opinion, but it usually takes longer to tweak hyperscribe input, than it does to enter the notes in simple or speedy.

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Click to send Davidmorehead email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DavidmoreheadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000

Posted 3/19/2010 4:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wholeogram said...
Thank you two. Mike, in my situation I'm trying to MOVE the notes to the left, not so much change the duration. David, thank you. Even though I am aware that Speedy is better (I will most likely revert to that), I was seeing if (moving) edits could be made in HyperScribe, for my wife will enter her compositions. She's the keyboard player, not I. It would take way too long and be too hard for me to know her notes for me to enter Speedy. I'm needing her to enter, then I come in later and tweek.

Using speedy entry...You can create a new "dummy" staff, copy notes to it using the selection tool, change the rest value at the beginning of the measure to get the notes to move back the desired amount of beats, and then paste the new edited music back into the main staff on the correct beat. Cutting and pasting smaller note/rest values can be a little tricky. But, there is always undo if you make a mistake.

David Morehead
Finale 2010-Sony Vaio Laptop
TGTools Full Version
Roland Sonic Cell
Finale user since 1990.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 3/19/2010 4:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Or in Simple Entry, you can select the entire staff, and drag it back to the left to get the beat back where you want it. This will play havoc with any longer notes, as they will then become broken and tied, but try it.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Wholeogram
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 3/19/2010 4:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks David, that kind of workaround just might work. I'll give it a try later :)

Jim Ortner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim OrtnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 14

Posted 3/19/2010 6:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've run into this issue and it's usually caused by the latency settings. For some reason, Finale puts in a high default setting. I lowered it and it fixed the issue. Off the top of my head I can't remember which menu the setting was in.

Jim

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2000

Posted 3/20/2010 10:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim Ortner said...
I've run into this issue and it's usually caused by the latency settings. For some reason, Finale puts in a high default setting. I lowered it and it fixed the issue. Off the top of my head I can't remember which menu the setting was in.

Jim

Wholeogram

Here is the location in case you want to experiment with the settings.

Midi menu/device setup/midi setup/midi in latency

Finale 2010b-Sony Vaio Laptop
TGTools Pro
Roland Sonic Cell
Finale user since 1990.
DaveMorehead.com

Wholeogram
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 3/20/2010 3:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Strange. All of a sudden it worked! I went to the place for latency like you two said, it was already set to "0." Then I HyperScribed, and the 16th notes came in correctly. Maybe just opening that MIDI In tool corrected it? Like I said strange. Thanks again for both of your help! If I have any further issues I'll know where to go! :-)

Jim Ortner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim OrtnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 14

Posted 3/21/2010 4:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you may have run into a bug as I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. It was set for 0 but when I closed the window it was working right.

The first time I used the function the latency was set for 100 ms. Not sure how Finale figures out it's initial latency setting.

Jim