Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > I need help assigning different shaped noteheads...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

TroyR
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TroyRAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/20/2010 1:57 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
~~~

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I joined because I have a burning question that someone here may have the solution.

This is what I would like to do:

I would like to assign different notehead shapes to the different notes of the chromatic scale. For example, a triangle notehead for all C

notes, a diamond notehead for all E notes, a half-oval for all G# notes etc... The result that I am seeking to achieve is that notes such as B#, C and

Dbb will still be notated as before except that the notehead shape used for each of them will be a triangle (because they are all essentially the

same note).

I have been playing around with the Percussion Map, but it apparently requires that staff position be fixed along with the notehead when

re-assigning noteheads to MIDI notes. What I need is to be able to assign a notehead shape to a MIDI note without having to fix the staff

position for it. So a B# will still be notated as a note with a sharp in front of it on the B-line of the treble staff, the C will still be on a C-space, and the Dbb

will still be notated as a note with two flats in front of it on the D-line; they will all be notated as they were in the traditional notation except that the

notehead used for all of them will be a triangle.

Can somebody please help me with this? Has somebody done this before?

I am hoping that this can be done using the Percussion Map and be made into a template, rather than a plug-in. If this needs to be created as a

plug-in, is it something that I can do myself or do I need to pay someone to do this for me and for how much?

Thank you in advance for all your responses.

Troy

~~~

dfwmd
Registered Member

Click to send dfwmd email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dfwmdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 536

Posted 4/20/2010 2:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could use percussion maps, but you would be somewhat limited since There are only 128 Custom notes available, and you would have to manually attach all of the accidentals.

You would have to set up multiple maps per MIDI note using the Custom notes - i.e. Custom 1 = C, Custom 2 = Dbb, Custom 3 = C#, Custom 4=Db, Custom 5 = Cx, Custom 6 = D, Custom 7 - Ebb, etc

However, you would quickly run out of Custom notes - we've just used up 7 slots for just 3 pitches (and I left off Bx), a full octave would take 33 slots, so with only 128 Custom Map slots would get you somewhere between 3 and 4 octaves, and would not be a universal setting for all MIDI notes. Plus you would then have to create a very complicated percussion layout for the MIDI map, and percussion layouts do not use accidentals.

You can assign note shapes to scale degrees, but that would not do what you are trying to do - since all C's would have the same notehead regardless of accidental.

The closest thing that does what you are trying to do is the note COLOR function, which assigns a note color to pitches, not scale degrees, so all B's are PINK, whether they are Ax, B, or Cb.

If you have to use note shapes rather than colors, then you are going to have to contact a programmer to create a plugin that would alter all of the note shapes for a region based on the note.

XP Pro SP 3
Dual Core 1.66 GHz
2GB RAM

Vista Home Premium SP 2 x64
Dual Core 2.50 GHz
6GB RAM

Finale 2010b
Garritan Personal Orchestra Kontakt 2
Garritan Jazz & Big Band Kontakt 2

DCrocker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit DCrocker's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 511

Posted 4/20/2010 9:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Searching the knowledge base on this web site for "shaped notes," you will find the following:

You can make music with shapes notes in Finale, Allegro, and PrintMusic. Each program comes with a pre made template that has already been configured with each staff position (scale degree) assigned to the proper notehead shape. You can access this template through the File menu >> New >> Document from Template... >> Church Templates. In this folder, open the Shape Notes Hymnal template.

Note that only Finale can change the assignment of which shapes are assigned to which scale degree, or create shapes notes from existing documents.

Always using FinWin 2010 on my own stuff, but using FinWin 2006 & 2007 for a living.
(Previously used everything back to version 2.0.1)

dfwmd
Registered Member

Click to send dfwmd email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dfwmdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 536

Posted 4/20/2010 9:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That yields a note shape per scale degree. I don't think there is a way to assign a note shape to a specific pitch.

XP Pro SP 3
Dual Core 1.66 GHz
2GB RAM

Vista Home Premium SP 2 x64
Dual Core 2.50 GHz
6GB RAM

Finale 2010b
Garritan Personal Orchestra Kontakt 2
Garritan Jazz & Big Band Kontakt 2

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 4/20/2010 9:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the way to do it is tedious, and would require you to do it one notehead at a time with Special Tools.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

TroyR
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TroyRAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/22/2010 4:48 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

My question to all:

If it is going to be tedious to assign different notehead shapes based on pitch --
Is there a feature in Finale that will allow me to assign different colors to noteheads according to pitch?
So all B#, C and Dbb will be red; all Cx, D and Ebb will be orange; etc... ?

Troy

~~~