Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Moving Chords or Scored Music Up One Octave  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

SFJohn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SFJohnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/2/2010 12:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know how move an individual note up (or down) but when I want to move a chord or an entire measure it doesn't work.  Is this possible at all?   I am working with scoring for handbells ( which are scored an octove lower - middle C (C4) is really that C in the base clef).  When I copy music scored for piano to a document scored for handbells, Finale insists on placing the notes one octave down.  Changing instuments from on a document scored for piano to handbells is apparently not an option.  Any insight would be appreaciated,, Thank you

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 5/2/2010 12:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which program are you using ?

Finale 2010b, GPO 4, JABB 3, Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 5/2/2010 12:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With anything other than NotePad, you can use the Transpose command.

Please add the program you're using to your signature, in the forum Control Panel.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 5/2/2010 12:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Select the notes: press 8 to shift down an octave; 9 to shift up. Or adjust the transposition of the entire staff in Staff Attributes.

Finale 2009c, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.6.3
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/2/2010 3:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure 8 and 9 are hardwired for the octave up and down, unless this is a new feature, which is not a good feature for me. In 2005, 6-9 were open to individual settings. Once set they remained until the user wanted to change them.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/2/2010 3:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Select the notes: press 8 to shift down an octave; 9 to shift up. Or adjust the transposition of the entire staff in Staff Attributes.

You can also select the measure (or group of measures) and adjust the notes all at one.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/2/2010 3:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
I'm not sure 8 and 9 are hardwired for the octave up and down, unless this is a new feature, which is not a good feature for me. In 2005, 6-9 were open to individual settings. Once set they remained until the user wanted to change them.

Zuill

Since I don't see them in the Simple Entry shortcuts, I'll assume that they are now hardwired.

By the way, your entry in another thread inspired me to try reprogramming keys, for the first time. I set F5 and F6 to shift layers. Very cool. Thanks to you and Wlgold for the tip, and the push!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/2/2010 4:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Traditionally, 6-9 were user programmable transposition. The first time used, the transposition menu would pop up. Once set, it would stick. If you wanted to change any of them, you would press shift+number key. This is how 2005 works. is 2010 different? In 2005, one must be in the Mass Edt tool. I assum this would be in the selection tool in 2010.

Zuill

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/2/2010 4:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, no transposition menu pops up any more. It set now for 6 and 7 are one note up or down, 8 and 9 are an octave. You can, of course, transpose any range via the Selection tool>Transpose... or Utility menu>Transpose..., and the setting you choose sticks until you change it.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/2/2010 4:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is definitely very bad news for me. Thank goodness I am not using my 2010. It is a very expensive coaster, or maybe frisbee.

Zuill

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 5/2/2010 5:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
6-9 are still user programmable in Finale 2010. On a Mac when in the Selection Tool, Cmd Shift 6, 7, 8 or 9 gives you the programmable transposition menu. The key stroke required will be something very similar in Windows.

David Ward
http://www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2009c, 2010b
Mac 10.6.3
full TGTools

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/2/2010 5:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not that I can find...

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/2/2010 5:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Windows it is Shift-#. f Windows can't do it, I might change to.... Ouch...bite me tongue.

Zuill

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 5/2/2010 6:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
people, as I end up repeating over and over: read the help file.

there is NO change to the transpose metatool, it is STILL programmable.

press control+shift and the number you want to assign.
it works perfectly well.
so there's no need to get all drama-queen about Finale 2010 being useless.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher, music administrator

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2010
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010
GPO 4, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Garritan Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsamples chamber Ensemble
Win XP

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/2/2010 7:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel is correct. My error was that I was hitting the keys on the numberpad. You have to hit the keys above the QWERTY row to call up the transposition dialogue.
I'm not used to thinking in terms of a Metatool!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 5/2/2010 8:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you guys scared away the OP with a fairly complicated answer to a simple question.

Ron Wasserman
F2009, user since 2000
Desktop: Intel Dual Core @ 2.2 GHz 2814MB ram, Vista Home
Keyboard midi to edirol to usb
Laptop: Celeron, 480 mb ram, XP home keyboard direct to usb. (not enough memory for 2009)
TG Tools full version

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

"Music: incredibly easy to understand on a basic level, but profoundly difficult to speak with any fluency."
Ron Wasserman

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/2/2010 8:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The purpose fo an open forum is to ask questions and get answers. If one needs to dig deep to get a question answered, then one digs deep. If those who know the answer don't answer, one digs deeper. If one gets scared off, then those who know the answers need to speak up sooner ad clear things up. Maybe it's time MakeMusic hires a full time paid staff to answer questions here.

I get tired of those who try to censor others who have a perfect right to ask questions. What are you afraid of? I might get censored by the moderator for this, but I have spent many hours trying to help others here, and I have legitimate concerns about problems with upgrades that aren't as perfect as some say they are. I just wanted to get to the truth and if what Mike said was true, I wanted someone to either clarify or refute. That is all. But since I am not a lone voice with concerns about features that may have been steps backward, in my opinion, I will continue to ask questions and challenge the decisions about the direction of the product. If and when I get kicked off ths forum, I will put my energies elsewhere.

Zuill

P.S.: This thread helped Mike to clear up his misconception about a feature, so I am glad for that.